• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans-- Is there a huge difference?!

mousenuttjr

Certified Cruiser
When I booked our trip (We're going on Tuesday! So excited) I could have swore I put down the French Quarter but in my latest statement it said Riverside.
I really can't care less because I still am going to WDW, right? But I still can't keep wondering, which is better? Are they equally great? I've stayed at Riverside before when French Quarter was being (I hope I'm spelling this right) refirbushed. It was a great resort, but still, like I said, I can't help but wonder.
Any opinions on the matter?
French Quarter vs. Riverside :bounce:

FQ is more compact. Not as much walking between buildings, pool and main building. As far as everything else, pretty much the same other than the theming. I loved POR and someday I'll probably stay at FQ, but we stayed in Alligator Bayou and just fell in love with the place. I think you'll really like it.

We like the general atmosphere at Riverside more than FQ. Riverside has a more relaxed setting and is more spread out than FQ as well. Riverside also has a larger dining option.

We love French Quarter. We just got back from our first vacation there and we loved it. FQ is first for bus pickup and let off from the parks. I like the fact it is smaller and riverside has 4 bus stops. But POFQ only has a food court, boatwrights at riverside was great. We just took the boat over one night for dinner for something diff.

Both resorts are beautiful. If you stay at one, you are allowed to use the pool at the other because they are sister resorts.

If you are staying at Riverside, you might want to decide if you'd like to request the Mansions or Alligator Bayou. Each section has its own charm. The Mansions are kind of like "Gone with the Wind" in landscaping, and AB has a lot of tropical plants with a more rustic look. Both sections are nice.

I think the hardest is the buses - POFQ is first stop - one morning we walked from our mansion over the bridge, around POFQ to their bus stop to see how that would be - too much walking!! Keep a look on your watch it always seemed much longer of a wait than it actually was!! The mornings are the toughest - when everyone ones to leave at the same time for openings...

IMG_1731.jpg

view from our room to the left is the "front" of Partierre Place - there are several stairs to go up to the room, our first day when we got the number, we went with the closest stairs, and walked all the way around the back around and then to the front where our room was, when we left there were stairs right next to us!! :rotfl2:

Here's the "view" from the walkway in front of our door...

IMG_1730.jpg

We wanted to see DTD, but the wait for the boats to dtd seemed too long - so we took the bus, and no wait on the way home from dtd to the resort, so we took the boat back..

DSCN1161.jpg

very relaxing ride..

DH says POR is alot like a Deluxe....just not as expensive....I have never stayed at POR, but we are staying there on our trip in May, so let us know how you like it!

The only thing I would add to what has been said is that it really depends on the make up (age, intersts, etc) of your party.

We've stayed at both and loved them both. I would rate POFQ better if you have young kids - maybe 9 and under. The pool is less rowdy and has a tamer slide and more "cute" themeing. There is much less walking involved, plus the aforementioned advantage of being the first bus stop. Plus you are about 5 minutes or so closer to Downtown Disney coming and going in the boat.

If you have kids that are 9+ I would recommend POR and here are some reasons: Bigger, rowdier pool with a bigger slide - bigger playground - bigger food court - surry bike rentals - lots of room to roam around - biggest arcade of any Disney resort.

I love the theming at both, but the Mansions at POR felt "richer". If you make wise room requests, you can get away with walking just as little at POR as at POFQ. Some of the AB rooms are waaaaaaaaaay out there though.

KayakDaddy said:
... Some of the AB rooms are waaaaaaaaaay out there though.

I completely agree, hence the reason we will never stay at POR again. I made the request for the mansions and asked for 1st floor due to one of the people in our party has a difficult time walking. (This was all noted on the reservation). We got AB and, in my opinion, the very last building (24). It was horrible! I understand that room requests are not guaranteed, but when you state medical reasons, they shouldn't put you in the farthest building either! I hope you have better luck than we did!

We loved POR, both pools are great. If you have kids under 5 I found FQ more enjoyable pool. My older daughter love POR pool the best on the whole trip.
We had also stayed at WL.

The only thing I found annoying about POR is the bus service. I thought it got quite crowded and FQ definately has better stop bus service wise(first pickup and first going home).
The pick up in front of main building at POR was okay but we missed a couple of busses at peak times.

I totally agree that the POR is REALLY out! Even though we are avid readers of this board, it didn't prepare us for howfar AB is from everything. One should know that this is a section that is far removed. If that's okay, then great. But if not, know that you will walk at least ten min. to the main section of the resort.

POR also has Piano Bob. Don't forget Piano Bob! My wife absolutely loves to see Piano's Bob's evening performances in the hotel's bar area. We were exhausted on a Thursday evening after doing Epcot then MVMCP at MK. She found the energy for an hour of Piano Bob.

He's truly a treat. I don't know if other resorts have anything like him - but he truly makes staying at POR special. :cool1:

I never got to see Piano Bob whole show but he seemed very good and entertaining. How hard is it to get a dinner reservation at the lounge, it seemed some families were eating dinner.

POR is much bigger...and if they put you in an outer building, you are isolated. We ended up at POR b/c AAA was all booked for FQ this past Oct. and despite our request at POR to be put at a closer in building, we were put in mansions far away. We definitely could not "run" over to the food court/main building w/o driving and making an effort. Next time we go, if we stay there I will try my best for FQ where it's a little more compact.

POR was nice and comfortable, I'd recommend it, but it was big and not convenient to get other places by foot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter