Port Orleans or Pop Century??

CherishL

Earning My Ears
Hi! My husband and I are planning a trip to Disney in the fall. Our 3rd time, our daughter’s first.
We have stayed in Pop Century before but are considering splurging a little and staying at Port Orleans. We are from LA, so it seemed quite appealing.
Can you tell me your experiences? Would you splurge and stay there instead of Pop Century? Would a 5 year old enjoy it?
thanks in advance!

Are you open to considering Caribbean Beach resort? Five years ago, I would have recommended Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter as the best of the moderate resorts, but the Skyliner is freaking awesome, and it's even more awesome staying on the hub.

The sky liner is definitely a consideration especially since she will probably need a nap. Haven’t experienced it yet so thank you for the tip!!

I love Port Orleans, I think the atmosphere and size are perfect. Its easy to get around and there are good options for meals and activities. I'd 1000% chose it over Pop Century. But, its definitely going to be a Disneyfied version of LA (I'm assuming Louisiana, not Los Angeles) so it might not be as charming for someone who is used to the real thing. Not having the Skyliner is a downside, although wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I would stay at either of the PO resorts over a value any day. Especially POFQ. The small size is great. Caribbean Beach is our least favorite moderate. It is too spread out and we personally don't like the skyliner. It has had too many incidents and stoppages to where we are comfortable taking it.

Hi! My husband and I are planning a trip to Disney in the fall. Our 3rd time, our daughter’s first.
We have stayed in Pop Century before but are considering splurging a little and staying at Port Orleans. We are from LA, so it seemed quite appealing.
Can you tell me your experiences? Would you splurge and stay there instead of Pop Century? Would a 5 year old enjoy it?
thanks in advance!

I've stay at French Quarter, twice. We love it. It has a small foot print, so you don't feel like you are walking forever from your room to the main building or to the SINGLE bus stop.

But then we stay at Caribbean Beach Resort. - GAME CHANGER. While my heart longs for the simplicity of French Quarter, my practical side says, go with the skyliner! We have now stayed at CBR 3 years in a row (we go in Jan or Feb). My son, now 13 loves the pool at CBR. It is has slide, but there is also a younger kids area and a smaller slide in the big pool.

We love Hollywood Studios, so with our park hoppers we are usually there more than once on our long weekend trip. We've used the skyliner to visit Art of Animation and walk through the Cars area (looks like radiator springs), we go EPCOT, and we've even used the Skyliner to the EPCOT stop, but walked over to the Boardwalk.

But to answer your question, if I had to pick between FQ and POP, FQ hands down. It is small, quaint, you can take the boat to Disney Springs, easily walk to Riverside for their food choices. And the pool has a slide (the number one item on my son's check list when he was younger). POP tends to get the large groups that are visiting Disney for sporting events (bands, cheer, dance, twirl....) I'm sure they are all great kids, but that is not the chaos I want at my resort.

thanks in advance!
The sky liner is definitely a consideration especially since she will probably need a nap. Haven’t experienced it yet so thank you for the tip!!

Assuming you are doing all four parks, you have Skyliner to two at POP with AKL not far on a bus. POR is bus all the way for everything. I think look at what you believe will be your schedule and naptime and which offers the best transportation.

POP is our favorite value and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there now that they have queen beds, as I have MANY times. I've stayed at POR a number of times in all areas. I would say for a 5 year old girl it would be a Royal Guest room or nothing. She will love that. As far as the resort, it's pretty to walk around. Nice rustic feel pool but depending on the price difference and how much time you will spend there not sure it's worth the difference. Food courts have all become generic - sad because we used to drive to different resorts for widely different food - so POR food court no real plus.

Either would be good, would depend on how much more and my comfort with the transportation - not much else to convince me otherwise.

Love POR and POFQ but the ease of the skyliner....last 3 trips loved having skyliner and just booked AoA because of it.

I'd probably be ok with either. I like them both for different reasons. Once my kids are old enough that we just need to shower and sleep, we'll be at Pop in a heartbeat.

In my experience, kids like pools. The accommodations themselves don't matter. Just the pool. So pick whichever one will work the best for you.

One thing to be aware of is the Skyliner can go down for storms - and it usually takes them a while to get busses coordiated at that point.

That said, if you're from Louisiana, would it really feel like a vacation if you're staying somewhere with that theme? I like to get away from my home environment when on vacation.

If you can swing it, I would do Port Orleans. Either Riverside or French Quarter. I think the French Quarter has a pool that would be great for your little one. And I believe the boats are back running to Disney Springs, if you plan on going there. I wasn't a fan of Caribbean Beach during my stay, it was my least favorite moderate. You can either be close to the themed pool, or close to the skyliner, you can't be close to both. Which is a negative to me.

In 2019 we stayed at Pop with DD’s family - preferred building near main building (had adjoining rooms). I loved it but this was months before the sky liners opened. The walk from the parks to the dead last stops for value resorts was a killer. In June we’ll be at POFQ. My pick so that at least our bus will be in the middle of the pack. Stayed at POR in 2001. We’ve stayed at Poly, Contemporary, WL, CB in past years. Your decision should be on how much of a budget buster POFQ will be for you. If staying at Pop gives you more “fun money”, that’s what I’d do.

Port Orleans would be my pick. The resorts are fabulous and worth the splurge. The Skyliner isn't enough of a factor to sway me.

I would pick POR over POP in a heartbeat. POR is a really great resort---relaxing and laid back. My kids love the pool and the slide at the main pool. The food court is also really great to have. With your daughter being 3, I would still pick POR over the moderates with the skyliner. At that age, we found ourselves spending the most time at the MK over any other park--with you would need to take the bus for at any of the locations mentioned here. POR also has the advantage of the boats going to and from DS---which is a nice transportation method in the evening for dinner. I believe POR also have some of the bigger rooms on property compared to other places. I remember being able to have our stroller in our room and not in the way all the time was a plus for us. We truly love POR and have stayed there twice with our kids. My husband wants to try somewhere new on our next trip---but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again in a heartbeat.

Thank y’all so much for your thoughts!! We booked our trip Saturday and went with Port Orleans French Quarter! We are so excited!

Yea!! You will not regret it, FQ is awesome! We are taking our 8 year old son there for the first time in May after taking him to POP in 2018 and DL in 2019. My husband and I honeymooned at FQ. At POP my husband put it best, it felt like we were staying at Walmart Disney. At FQ you feel welcomed home after a long day in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter