• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Port Orleans Riverside FAQ thread - Royally Refurbished for 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what our chances are for a renovated room as we are 3 adults and 2 children ages 6 & 7 and the queen beds would be nice.

Four Alligator Bayou lodge buildings out of the sixteen will be done by the end of this year, and another four are reserved as Preferred Locations anyway - so I guess even by random choice you should have a one-in-three chance. And if you request a refurbished room too, that should help stack the odds, so I'd say you might well be lucky.

Andre

I will call again and double check. Thanks for checking for me! I don't want to give up my royal room, so I guess my parents will be in another building!

We have never been to POR, will it be a big deal if we are in different buildings?

DH, DD and I have a Royal Room, in-laws do not. We asked for rezzies to be linked and figure as long as they aren't in AB, it's close enough we can make it work. I just made sure they noted on the reservation that they were linked to each other and I figure I'll call to double check about 2 weeks out. I'm also not going to do online check-in so that if anything hits a snag, we can work it out as best possible.

I am so excited for my Disney trip next month! This will be the first time I've ever stayed at POR and I am way excited! All the the posts and pics here have been super helpful! :yay:

So if I am checking in on December 2nd, what day do you suggest I call POR and make my room request? My travel agent has put in my request but I want to confirm it. Should I make the request after I do my online check-in?

Kim

So if I am checking in on December 2nd, what day do you suggest I call POR and make my room request? My travel agent has put in my request but I want to confirm it. Should I make the request after I do my online check-in?

Kim

IMO if you're really concerned about getting a room in a specific area then I wouldn't do ONLINE check in. If your request is already added then there is no need for you to call. I have read about people sending a fax to the front desk of the hotel but that still isn't a sure fire way to get your requests. My plan is to skip online check in as well since I have specific requests and it may take a bit of time for them to search for the right room. It isn't garunteed to get your requests that are put on your room before you get there. But I say leave the online check in line for those who want to walk up grab keys and go. :goodvibes Have a great trip! I'm so jealous! We still have 328 days till our trip! :woohoo:

My main concern is the fact I am getting in later in the day. I am hoping to get a rehabbed room and since I am getting in in the late afternoon I wanted to get a room request in. I was figuring, online check in wouldn't hurt at this point.

Kim

If you are arriving later in the day then it can't do any harm to send a short fax to reinforce your requests, and to let them know why you'd like a particular location. It is certainly technically possible for them to block a room for you, rather than just leaving it to chance and using the normal Ready Room system when you arrive - although I think it's more common for them to block out multiple-room bookings.

For a single room, I'd suggest contacting them maybe 1-2 days before you arrive. There are still no guarantees of course, but what have you got to lose?

Andre

I have read about people sending a fax to the front desk of the hotel but that still isn't a sure fire way to get your requests.

Faxes have been overlooked by most resorts for a few years now, but they stopped all together last year when the new computer system was installed.

The computer now sorts the requests automatically when they are rolled over from reservations about 3 - 5 days before you check-in.

So resort requests should always be attached to your reservations.

You can call CRO or the resort "number" about six days before you arrive to reiterate your requests. You will never be going directly to the resort. The CM will bring up your reservation and confirm that your requests are on the ressie.

They are not guaranteed, depending on how busy the resort is that week.

Sorry it wasnt the best experience - we stayed there last Feb and are staying again this Feb in the Royal Guest Rooms. Well, we are currently booked at CSR, but are about to switch.

And, guess what.... I'm from Murfreesboro and my DD is 5 (and another DD is 1):thumbsup2. Oh my, and I just realized your DD5's name is Abby and so is mine. Whoa. Too many conicidences. She goes to Rockvale. Nice to "meet" you.

Wow... small world! Hope you guys have a great time!

I don't think you were expecting too much. Everyone should be greeted, staff should be polite and definately your hotel room door should NOT be left propped open. My suggestion is sending an e-mail about this experience to Disney Guest Relations. If anything it will help improve future guests (including you) visits to POR!

Thanks! I will email guest relations too!

OK we came home on Tues. last week & I have downloaded my pics so here is my first batch. Our first stay (we had to book 3 more nights as we were supposed to fly home to NH during the storm & flight got cancelled) so I had to book 3 more nights after we checked out the first time. I had requested Magnolia Bend but we got Oak Manor which worked out great as we were close to the main bldg. Our room # was 9208, 2nd floor.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

It was good. Let me just mention I think people OBSESS WAY TOO MUCH on this thread & other threads about what section they will be in, what room they will have, will it be refurbed. You know what-how often are you in the room??? How often are you sitting there looking out the window???

I was in the hospital 2 weeks before our trip & did not know if we were going to even be able to go. I did not obsess about the room I just wanted to be there. It blows my mind sometimes when I read these posts & I think about the energy & worries about a room that you will not even be in much.

Anyway my rant is over & will post more pics in a bit.

So, I emailed my TA today, to request a change from preferred to either water view or garden view, partly because I wanted a chance at a refurbished room in the mansions. She emailed me back and said that the refurbishment at the resort doesn't even start until Jan 15, so if she changes the reservation, we will be further from the main building, and still won't be in a refurb room!

Now, I of course know this to be completely false information, but what f I were your average, much less knowledgable visitor to WDW? I wouldn't know any better!

Is it bad that I emailed her a link to Andre's site? LOL

So, I emailed my TA today, to request a change from preferred to either water view or garden view, partly because I wanted a chance at a refurbished room in the mansions. She emailed me back and said that the refurbishment at the resort doesn't even start until Jan 15, so if she changes the reservation, we will be further from the main building, and still won't be in a refurb room!

Now, I of course know this to be completely false information, but what f I were your average, much less knowledgable visitor to WDW? I wouldn't know any better!

Is it bad that I emailed her a link to Andre's site? LOL

Not bad but maybe you should be your own travel agent next trip :laughing:

No kidding, Jen! Unfortunately, MIL, who was very nice in buying this trip for us as a Christmas gift, insisted on booking with her TA! Hey, it's still a free trip to Disney, even with a clueless TA!!:rolleyes1

Just about can't stand the wait....in 11 days we will be @ POR. I have made room requests and such but to be honest i doubt I will put up much of a fuss no matter where we are :). I think I will do online check-in and take my chances!

Let me just mention I think people OBSESS WAY TOO MUCH on this thread & other threads about what section they will be in, what room they will have, will it be refurbed. You know what-how often are you in the room??? How often are you sitting there looking out the window???

I was in the hospital 2 weeks before our trip & did not know if we were going to even be able to go. I did not obsess about the room I just wanted to be there. It blows my mind sometimes when I read these posts & I think about the energy & worries about a room that you will not even be in much.

Anyway my rant is over & will post more pics in a bit.

I have made room requests and such but to be honest i doubt I will put up much of a fuss no matter where we are :). I think I will do online check-in and take my chances!

I have to agree with the two of you.
Early this year was my very first trip to Disney World and as much as I love the DIS boards and found so much information that made my trip so much more relaxing, enjoyable and cost effective. Choosing and worrying about what room I'd get turned out to be a waste of time and energy. I called and asked for top floor in a refurbished room. When I checked I was given second floor and upgraded to a river view. I loved my room and in the morning when my DD was getting ready I'd go out on the walkway with my cup of coffee and enjoy the peace and quite and relax with that amazing view. The thing is every view is great!

As far as the walk to and from the busses goes we got off at a different bus stop each night just so we could enjoy the walk back to our room.

Honestly unless you have very good reason ie health, small kids, family of five, connecting rooms I wouldn't worry about making any requests.

Just don't give me a ground level room i have a big fear of snakes and I don't want a view of a parking lot...oh yes and I would like queen sized beds too please.;)

I have to agree with the two of you.
Early this year was my very first trip to Disney World and as much as I love the DIS boards and found so much information that made my trip so much more relaxing, enjoyable and cost effective. Choosing and worrying about what room I'd get turned out to be a waste of time and energy. I called and asked for top floor in a refurbished room. When I checked I was given second floor and upgraded to a river view. I loved my room and in the morning when my DD was getting ready I'd go out on the walkway with my cup of coffee and enjoy the peace and quite and relax with that amazing view. The thing is every view is great!

As far as the walk to and from the busses goes we got off at a different bus stop each night just so we could enjoy the walk back to our room.

Honestly unless you have very good reason ie health, small kids, family of five, connecting rooms I wouldn't worry about making any requests.

Just don't give me a ground level room i have a big fear of snakes and I don't want a view of a parking lot...oh yes and I would like queen sized beds too please.;)

No first floor, queen beds and no parking lot view surely does not a request make :rolleyes1

I have a party of 5 and we will be at POR on Dec. 15. Does anyone know if the rooms that sleep 5 have been updated yet? We have never stayed here so I'm really excited about it. :cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter