Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Three (NOW CLOSED, see 2014 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't actually make sense, unless you have a Royal Room booking (which would mean Oak/Parterre only) then you could be in either section of POR, and probably more likely AB to be honest. The resort is running at between 95% and 100% occupancy at the moment, not bad figures, but I just checked April and there is open availability for the whole month in pretty much all room categories (unless you are looking for offer packages, which may be more limited).

Andre

I do have a Royal Room booked under the Spring offer. I wanted to change to a AB room, but apparently they don't have any left under the spring offer. Sorry for the confusion.

Interesting. I'm always in the food court around 8, and it's packed then because I assume most people want to make rope drop, so I just assumed that once the parks open, it's pretty quiet.

If I want to make rope drop I'm in the food court by 6:30-7, and there's barely anyone in there.

Hello, I am new to this thread and have a few questions. I have never stayed at the POR before and have been reading some of your posts.

We have a standard room booked in Oct for courtyard view. Is there a way to get a better view with a standard room. I also put a request in for staying close to dining and buses.

Also, there is mention or a carriage ride and a bike ride?? Can someone provide more detail as well as price. Thank you much!

We had our first visit to POR this past November. First time not doing a deluxe and we LOVED POR. You are going to have a great time. It is a beautiful resort. We are going back this November/December.

So I would suggest you ask at check in. They really will do what they can for you. They upgraded us to a Royal Guest Room!! They also gave us our first floor choice with a water view! We did have a garden view originally booked. So they did upgrade us to the water view. Just be really nice at check in and ask them if there is any way they can create some magic for you! I am sure if they can do it they will.

It really is a beautiful resort and we did not miss the Deluxe resorts one bit. The buses were great and I will be hard pressed to spend that money on the Deluxe un the future.

Not that I do not love the Deleuxe resorts too but I must say that when you are staying for example at wilderness lodge you do not spend much time taking the outside landscaping and beauty. It is simply all in the lobby area and then to the busses or boat. The POR is landscaped beautifully and one of my best memories from our trip was my husband, 4 year old daughter and I laying in the one hammock under the HUGE old oak tree as Jazz music seemed to come from nowhere and everywhere! Have Fun:goodvibes

This may be a weird question - are the official photographers for Memory Maker only in the parks, or do they show up at resorts like POR for things like the campfire? Seems like there'd be some good options for pics at the resorts too.

This may be a weird question - are the official photographers for Memory Maker only in the parks, or do they show up at resorts like POR for things like the campfire? Seems like there's be some good options for pics at the resorts too.

Mainly just in the parks. Sometimes there will one at the Poly. Also sometimes they pop into some of the Deluxes during Christmastime. You can book a private portrait session at one of the resorts.

http://www.disneyeventphotography.com/portraits/

Ah, it was Riverside you have booked for then. My comments in the other thread still apply, but more specifically: you could always ask for a "non parking lot view" - although technically that would mean a Garden View room, but they might have spare capacity and upgrade you anyway, or at least give you a non-direct view of the parking lots. For lots more advice on room locations at POR, try http://www.portorleans.org/room-requests.php. Carriage rides are evening activities, and are best pre-booked. $45 for a 25 min ride. Cycle rentals can be done at any time and at fairly cheap (the four-wheel Surrey Bikes are very popular with families). See http://www.portorleans.org/recreation.php for more details and other recreation tips. Andre

Thank you, this is very helpful!!

Any suggestions on which building to stay in, in POR standard room? I want to make sure I put in requests that are recommended here

I'm sad about the marina closure. I was really looking forward to taking my son for a ride in one of the Searacers. Should I voice my disapproval when I get there? Will any kinda discount be offered for the subtracted amenity?

Good morning POR Fans! Just a heads up and reminder. As we are getting very close to the 250 Page limit we will be moving on to the next thread soon. So keep an eye out for the next one when we get even closer.

"You're never too old to be young!"
~Snow White

Also, in what appears to be a massively short-sighted and very disappointing move, as from 2 March 2014 Disney has seen fit to permanently close the Port Orleans Riverside Levee boat rental facility. Very Bad Show, Disney - you are meant to be all about "plussing" your parks and resorts, not "minussing" them. If you wish to make your views known, ask for an explanation, or request that this decision be reversed, please contact wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com.

Andre

Thanks for the e-mail contact. Yesterday I sent a message to Disney at that e-mail address indicating my disappointment at their decision to close the marina and asking them to re-open it for boat rentals.

Thanks for the e-mail contact. Yesterday I sent a message to Disney at that e-mail address indicating my disappointment at their decision to close the marina and asking them to re-open it for boat rentals.

I did this as well. Because of a lot of the changes we will have more resort time. I had planned to rent a boat and the kids were really excited about it. I know we can go to another resort but that defeats the purpose of resort downtime if we have the hassle of traveling and transferring etc. We planned two mornings/early afternoons to sleep in and swim, rent a boat, rent a bike, then have an evening in the park. I hope they reconsider, but I am sure it is final. Would be nice if it was just seasonal.

I wrote as well. Maybe it will help and maybe it won't but I think it's worth a try....

Just a quick question - we will be coming from a 4 day cruise and checking in at POR on Thursday May 22. Right now we will probably be arriving around 9:30 am. I am not holding out hopes that the room will be ready but was wondering how busy the food court would be at that time? We figured we would wait and eat breakfast at the hotel.

Still crazy busy. We have tried to hit the food court at what we thought would be slower times--9:00 on our check in day and 10:15 yesterday. Still crazy busy both days. Didn't even wait on check in day. Yesterday we stayed and it wasn't too bad. They let you sit in the Boatwrights dining hall if the other rooms are full.

Just wanted to say a BIG THANKS to everyone on this thread! We arrived at POR Saturday. We had a standard RR booked and requested 1st floor and connecting with my sister and her family. We sent in a fax last Monday and BOTH of our requests were granted! We are in Oak Manor and couldn't be happier with our rooms. We have has zero problems with the rooms or our bands opening them.
The walk to the bus stop is quick, a little longer to get to the lobby/food court. But still not bad. And BEST of all, we are having awesome luck with the busses!
I'll write more when we get home. Thanks to everyone on this thread with their tips and willingness to answer questions!

I did this as well. Because of a lot of the changes we will have more resort time. I had planned to rent a boat and the kids were really excited about it. ... I hope they reconsider, but I am sure it is final. Would be nice if it was just seasonal.

I've heard mutterings that this might be something to do with an external (third-party) contractor who ran the rental service. To be honest, I'd always assumed it was run by Disney directly (certainly the staffing was provided by Disney cast members) but I've never really had the need to look into it.

According to website WDW News Today, the facility was not popular enough at the Moderate resorts and so the company has pulled out, leaving just the Deluxe Resort locations operating. I'm guessing the current closure of the DTD rental dock for the Disney Springs project won't have helped either.

Incidentally, I contacted my friend Denise from mousesteps.com last week and she and her partner Jeff took a trip over to Riverside on Saturday and rented out a pontoon boat for an hour-and-a-half and took one last nostalgic trip along the Sassagoula before the service finally closed that night. Her report and photos can be found HERE, and Jeff's video of the trip on YouTube HERE.

Andre

I've heard mutterings that this might be something to do with an external (third-party) contractor who ran the rental service. To be honest, I'd always assumed it was run by Disney directly (certainly the staffing was provided by Disney cast members) but I've never really had the need to look into it. According to website WDW News Today, the facility was not popular enough at the Moderate resorts and so the company has pulled out, leaving just the Deluxe Resort locations operating. I'm guessing the current closure of the DTD rental dock for the Disney Springs project won't have helped either. Incidentally, I contacted my friend Denise from mousesteps.com last week and she and her partner Jeff took a trip over to Riverside on Saturday and rented out a pontoon boat for an hour-and-a-half and took one last nostalgic trip along the Sassagoula before the service finally closed that night. Her report and photos can be found HERE, and Jeff's video of the trip on YouTube HERE. Andre

I am sure you are correct. Just a shame bc it feels like mod amenities are going. Hoping the bikes aren't next as we planned to try those as well.

Btw we want to do a carriage ride again but hate to book in advance since you have to cancel the night before. What is the cancelation policy if there is rain or storms?

We are staying at POR in October 2014. We have 4 reservations between 13 family members. I called 407WDISNEY a few days ago and tried to "link" our reservations so our rooms are near each other (at least in the same building). In MyDisneyExperience all 13 of us are friends/family and can view each other's plans and reservations. However, the person on the phone said that she cannot do that for me and that I would have to call POR directly. She explained to me that I cannot request to be near someone if they have not requested to be near me. Is that correct? I am going to fax in my request a few days before we arrive, but I am reading on the threads that it should be done at initial booking first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter