• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

!!!Port Orleans Riveside Questions!!!

DisneyMom4964

Have a Magical Day!
Hi all. I have been looking into the Port Orleans Riverside resort for my 2010 trip. I got a few questions for some POR expert to answer! Thanks so much! :)

1. I have never done moderate before. Overall how is the resort?
2. My daughter has RA arthiritis and days it can be hard for her to walk. What building do you recommend for my family and I to get that is close to the main area, the main pool, and the main bus stop?

Thanks to all that answered! And also......if ya got any other advice on POR just let me know!

First off, check out www.portorleans.org

Secondly, the closest building to all three is bldg 14 in alligator bayou, followed closely by bldgs 18 and 27
Oak terrace is the closest of the mansions.

POR is really beautiful and the boat ride to DTD is so much fun! The newly rehabbed food court is one of the best at WDW. IN terms of room location I think it helps if you use a professional WDW travel agent. They seem to really help at getting specific locations. Last year a few weeks before our trip I developed a blood clot and my travel agent worked it all out with WDW and I got the closest possible rooms in each resort we stayed at. I couldn't believe how close they both were. The agency I used was The Mouse for Less but there are a few other profesional DIsney agencies that provide similar services.

Oh wow im sorry to hear about your blood clot :( but thanks for helping me out! And also....I heard that they only got 2 double sized beds and a trundle? I got 3 kids and then its me and my husband so thats a total of 5 of us. Do you think we might mannage?

I've stayed twice at POR, but I'm not an expert on the best locations.

I will point out that because there are 5 of you, Disney will put you in Alligator Bayou unless one of your party is under the age of 3.

In Alligator Bayou, each building is two stories tall and do NOT have elevators. So you may want to request a 1st floor room.

We had 5 in the room last month and it was "tight", but doable. The beds are tall, so there's space to store luggage. We prefer two rooms at the Values for the 5 of us vs the one at POR, but since it was a short trip before a cruise, it was more cost efficient for us.

Our family loves POR! We are also a family of 5 and we stay in the trundle rooms. Last year our children were 12, 11 and 7 and it worked out great for us - though we don't spend much time in the room, it's pretty much just for sleeping. The whole resort is beautiful - excellent food court, fun fishing hole, boat and bike rentals and the boat ride to DTD is wonderful. I'm getting excited just thinking about it! We're planning to return to POR in Feb 2011. Enjoy! :goodvibes

POR is wonderful. For your needs I would request a first floor room explaining the reason why and close to food court. Make your request at time of booking and in the order of needs. Be specific that it is of medical needs for your request.

The best location for you is going to be in bldgs 14, 15 or even 18. Bldg 14 would be just about perfect. BUT....these bldgs aren't all that 'close' to the main pool. You still have a fair walk since the pool is on Ole Man Island. But, those bldgs are going to put you very close to the food court and the main bus stop.
I would mention the RA and let them know that you have to have a ground floor room...there are no elevators in the AB section since there are only two levels there.

We love port orleans riverside it was out first stay at a moderate and we loved it in fact my husband loves getting out of the room to the gardens so much that he won't go back to deluxe.

If your daughter will have difficulty with walking distances, then I really think your resort location will be the least of your worries. People walk on average 7-9 miles per day at WDW. How old is your daughter who has RA? You should probably look into some kind of stroller or wheelchair (depending on her age). I'm not talking about the kind of stroller you get at the parks; there are special needs strollers that can hold up to I think 100 or 110 pounds. If you get a wheelchair and she's not adult sized then you won't want to use the ones in the parks; you'll want to rent an appropriately sized one or else she'll end very uncomfortable. If you use a wheelchair then you won't need anything more but if you use some kind of stroller then you'll want to stop at Guest Relations before entering your first park so that you can get a Stroller as a Wheelchair tag for the stroller so that she can stay in the stroller in lines (assuming she'll need this; if she doesn't then don't bother). If you have the stroller or wheelchair at the resort then the room location won't matter so much though I would put in a request with the special needs department for a ground floor room (not a regular room request; go through the special needs department to make sure it's guaranteed).

WE stayed at POFQ this past month and loved it. In fact we did a split stay there and then Old Key West and we prefer POFQ hands down. Our room was spotless and the mousekeeper left us towel animals and other fun towel stuff every day. Transportation was great, the resort was beautiful, check in easy and quick. Oh and the food court was yummy with lots a choices and available seating. We are planning a trip for late summer 2011 and will probably stay here again unless they offer the military 40% off again and then we will try the Wilderness Lodge. Hope you enjoy your trip and your daughter’s health allows her to enjoy herself.

We just got back from POR FQ... It was awesome! It is a smaller resort than RS. We stayed in building 2 right across from the pool. It is small and everything is close. It is is a wonderful resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter