• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Portable DVD Players

BarbaraMB

<font color=CC99CC>Is right! Good tags come to th
Planning to buy a portable DVD player for the long drive to Florida and I would like anyone's advice on portable DVD players. Having one installed in the minivan is out. Which is the best to get and did anyone ever have a problem with passengers in the third row not seeing it? Thanks for any opinions and advice.

There are many options available as far as DVD players go, but don't get "suckered" into the smaller screens just because they are cheaper. Ideally if you had a laptop computer it is cheaper to get the DVD rom drive added, than a stand alone portable dvd.

In any case I digress, you want to get one with at least a 6.8" screen...several available with 5.8", but frankly that's a little small. Brands to stick with are Toshiba and Panasonic.

Your third row seating passengers will have a bit of a problem viewing, and you will have to consider how you 1) power the unit..only audiovox and aiwa make units with cig lighter adapters...so you'll most likely need a power inverter (www.jandr.com) will be able to help you with both the palyers and the inverter, unless your car is equipped already. 2) how are your passengers going to listen...via headphones (usually only 2 outputs, but very inexpensive splitters from Radio Shack will solve that) Not sure what type of vehicle you are setting it up in (SUV or MV), but they (J&R) also carry a bag/strap device to suspend the player across the 2 front seats.

I had it in my wife's Lexus RX300 (which doesn't have a 3rd row) and set it up on a sturdy cardboard box in between the front seat armrests...mainly because I didn't want my DS to be tilting his head down (from his car seat elevation) to the relatively low center console location.

Let me know if you want more info...I can go on about electronics (i.e. expensive toys) for hours.

Toy story Fan

I looked at J&R and cant find a carrying case for the DVD player to hang between the front seats. Do you happen to know what it is called. I have found the ones for the TV/VCR combos but didn't know there are some for the portable DVD players. Also you mentioned getting a DVD rom for a laptop computer. Any suggestions how to place those in the car so that it wouldn't be sliding around? (we have two children and don't think one will be happy if the other is holding it!! LOL) Also on the laptop thing is there an adapter that can be used for the cigarette lighter?? As you can tell I am really not knowledgeable on this but we definitely want a dvd for the ride down so we are trying to see all options.

Thank you for any suggestion.

Cmbar - another suggestion - We have a portable Panasonic 9" DVD player. I agree with Toy Story Fan - purchase the biggest screen you can afford - you won't regret it.
This is what we did - I bought a piece of wooden shelving that fits on the console between the two front seats. (about 8"X24") I then bought two (flat) straps that I fasten around the console (ours lifts up to keep CD's, change etc in) to secure the board. I then bought some pretty heavy velcroe and put the "fuzzy" part on the bottom of the DVD, and the other on the shelf. This secures the DVD very nicely for use in the car. It's in the middle so both kids can see it. Depending on your car (minivan) the passengers in the third row can probably see it.
The velcroe allows you to easily take the player with you without removing the board. We purchased a computer backpack to put it all in to take with us since we don't want to leave it in full view in the car when taking breaks on the road.
I got a small CD/DVD case to put the DVD's in so we don't have to carry all the DVD boxes - they hold 24 CD's/DVD's.
Don't forget to purchase headphones, and also an adapter plug that allows you to plug two headphones into the adapter and one plug into the DVD (I think I got this at Radio Shack)
The best thing the portable DVD can be hooked up to most TV's, so the kids can watch DVD's in hotel rooms.

Best Buy has a neat one online, made by RCA, I think. It is a smallish dvd player, I think the screen is about 7 inches. It is imbedded in a plastic console that is flat -- looks about the shape and size of a shirt box. The console is made to sit on a seat and has holes molded in so you can seatbelt it to the car. I liked it because it looked pretty sturdy and safe. I guess it would sit between 2 kids in the back of a minivan. We plan to go to Best Buy to see if we can get a look at it. It's about $400 which seems like a lot of money. Right now the small tv-type ones which have adaptors and 9-inch screens, are running around $250-$300.

We have used a 9-inch tv/vcr for years and it works great. Now we want a DVD model as we buy all the new kid-videos in DVD format. Some years back I got an accessory for it at Walmart. It is 2 foam triangles with a velcro strap. You use the foam pieces to sit the tv onto and the strap surrounds the whole thing. Then it all velcro's to the vehicle carpet. This keeps the tv from flopping around when you turn a corner, etc. Remember, also -- you don't want anything near the kids that could become a projectile during a fender bender. I read about this in a safety article. A 9-inch tv could really hurt a child if it went flying. This is part of why we are going to check out the one at Best Buy.

Good luck shopping!

Sorry...totally forgot to answer your question on the whole power supply issue.

Most auto cigarette lighter outlets do not supply a well regulated enough source of power for your laptop...you need a power inverter (Tripplite) makes them (available from J and R)...they are available in several configurations, but all you really need is a single outlet one...which is about $25-30. This converts the car's DC power source to 115vAC and smooths out the power supply to minimize/soften voltage spikes. It will work for any household current item (obviously you want to keep the amperage draw below the rated fuse of the inverter).

We bought a player from Costco. com that had 2 Tv's on it. It could have between the seats or strap to the back of a seat. The best thing was that either Tv could be doing something different. My daughter watched movies while I watched Tv ( or tried). It was about $500 .

For years we had the 9" TV/VCR combo for our van. This summer we updated to the 9" TV/DVD combo this is what we did and the setup is awesome second only to the built in DVD player. After much research this is what we did.

We bought the Toshiba 9' TV/DVD combo from Bestbuy, then purchased the Advent wireless headset with transmittor, we purchased additional headsets thru Crutchfield.com (this is the only place I could find to purchase them separately). We place the TV between the driver seats with a wedge we bought at Target (this velcros to the carpet and has straps to secure it to the TV) the wedge props the TV up at a slight angle, where the seatbelt insert is molded plastic that sticks out enough to keep the TV from being able to move towards the back of the van. I then put a plastic box between the back of the TV and the bottom of the dash console. And lastly we plug in the transmittor using an inverter and stash that under the front seat and now the kids have wireless headsets.

We have tried the splitters for the wired headsets and this becomes a pain the kids seem to trip over the wires when we make stops and they are always getting tangled. But we also have three kids. I hope this gives you some ideas we love to travel by car and this has been perfect for us.

LuvtoMickey, thanks! This sounds like a great plan. The very same Toshiba tv/dvd is on sale this week at HH Gregg, for $249. I agree that the wires for headphones are a huge pain. Can you estimate what the wireless headsets for 2 cost you? We may need to head up to BestBuy for that!

Thanks.

LuvtoMickey, help! I just looked at Crutchfield's site and it was a bit overwhelming. Can you give me a little bit more detail on the wireless unit you purchased (at Best Buy?) as well as the additional headset? We will need 2 headphones, one for each child. Any details you could provide to make it easier would be much appreciated. It feels better spending money on a product that is already parent-tested and approved!

I searched and I think I found what you have... It is the "Advent wireless headphone with transmitter," and Crutchfield offers an "additional headphone" for a bit less money than a whole 2nd set. Looks like about $89 and $59 -- does that sound about right?

I guess you guys think these were worth the extra money. Are they fairly sturdy and comfortable for kids? Mine are 8 and 5 and I will need something relatively tough.

Thanks so much for sharing this info. We do everything we can to make our trips to WDW (16 hours) as pleasant as possible. My husband even hooks up Nintendo!

Originally posted by colleen costello
LuvtoMickey, help! I just looked at Crutchfield's site and it was a bit overwhelming. Can you give me a little bit more detail on the wireless unit you purchased (at Best Buy?) as well as the additional headset? We will need 2 headphones, one for each child. Any details you could provide to make it easier would be much appreciated. It feels better spending money on a product that is already parent-tested and approved!

I also had problems looking for the headsets. Please help.

Other than screen size, what should I look for when shopping for the DVD player?

Son and I are taking the train to WDW with one, maybe 2 other families this June. I think the DVD will help the kids with the long trip, but I want each child to have his/her own headset.

colleen, We bought the headphones and transmitter at bestbuy because they were a little cheaper then crutchfield I just pulled my reciept and they were 79.99 at bestbuy but I could not find the additional headset anywhere but crutchfield and I couldn't find that invoice but I'm pretty sure they were $60.00. My kids were 10,9and7 when we bought them and they were comfortable and easy to use you just have to make sure they shut them off when there not in use so you don't waste batteries.You may have to help them tune them but thats no big deal. My kids like the headsets because it is now easier to hear the movie. Remember you can also use these in the house I use mine when I'm on the treadmill so I don't have to turn the TV so loud and my DH has used them while doing yard work.

For the search on crutchfield try typing in wireless headphones, I think this will get you there I also remember having a little trouble searching for them.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to answer the part on durability they seem fairly durable we have not had a problem, unlike the wireless headphones that we were constantly having problems with.

Thanks for the info. I did find these at BestBuy.com and Crutchfield. We are planning a search-and-destroy mission up to BestBuy this weekend to decide exactly which DVD player to buy. I think we'll probably go with the small tv-size one as it is the most affordable. The tinier, portable ones are expensive and flimsy and seem very vulnerable to getting dropped or stomped on by a child. I also think the wireless headphones will be worth it -- on our last trip, the back of our van was a maze of tangled wires which were tripped over regularly.

What will be the best is like one gentleman said here on the Boards -- the day when we can "transport" like they do on Star Trek! In the meanwhile, a good dvd system will help for the road trips to Mickey.

We place the TV between the driver seats with a wedge we bought at Target (this velcros to the carpet and has straps to secure it to the TV) the wedge props the TV up at a slight angle, where the seatbelt insert is molded plastic that sticks out enough to keep the TV from being able to move towards the back of the van.
Look at the box before pruchasing one of those. I saw them in Target and noticed there is small type on the box that says they are not for use in moving vehicles.

Everything has some sort of disclaimer now days! We do not use the wedge as a securing device just to prop it an angle so the kids can see it better, it works better then a towel by having the added feature of velcroing to the carpet. We have the TV between the two front seats with the molded plastic seat belt sticks out and the bottom of the dash where I put a plastic rubbermaid container to keep it wedged so the TV is not going anywhere. Some people use bunge cord to attatch it to the seats this is another option. .Just use your own judgement and secure your TV so it won't cause injury. In our van the TV isn't going anywhere. I would venture to guess those 9" TV/DVD combos also have disclaimers on them not to be used in moving vehicles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter