PORTOFINO BAY HOTEL INFO...FAQ`s and more.......

Hi all,
I have a stay coming up at this hotel next week booked through Amex FHR. Does anyone happen to know what the "dinner for 2" amenity on FHR bookings at this hotel consists of? (e.g., is it only valid at certain restaurant(s), is is a set menu vs. just a general $ credit, etc.? Would be nice if it was just a $ credit though usually the Amex website would just say "$100 F&B credit" rather than "dinner for 2" if that were the case.) Just trying to plan out our meals accordingly. Thanks!

I hope you enjoyed your stay! Did you find out the answer to this? We’ve got an Amex FHR stay booked there in 2022 so any experiences you have to share would be really interesting. We know the hotel well but have never booked it through Amex before.

Just to follow up on my own question earlier after our stay last week -- the dinner benefit was listed on the welcome letter as "one complimentary dinner for 2, per room ($100 value). Excluding alcoholic beverages, taxes, and gratuities. Please note, the dinner is not applicable at our third-party vendor, Bice."

We ended up eating at Trattoria del Porto, the same restaurant where breakfast is served, as there were no last-minute reservations available at Mamma Della's, the other non-Bice sit-down option. We ordered 2 appetizers and 2 mains, totalling about $90 before tax and tip, as well as 2 drinks, and the total with tax and tip came to about $150, and to my surprise the entire amount was removed from the bill automatically. So, I don't know what the exact rules are, but we were happy with it, and the dinner food at Trattoria was surprisingly good, quite a bit better than the good-but-not-great breakfast buffet. (We also ate at Bice the second night, which was very good.)

In terms of the other FHR benefits, everything was handled well. 4pm late checkout was proactively included at check-in. We were upgraded from a no-view room to a bay view room on the 5th floor. Breakfast buffet at Trattoria was included daily, and was removed from the bill automatically including the tip that I left on the check signed at the restaurant. We also received a fruit plate and welcome note in our room shortly after check-in.

Overall we had a very good stay. In terms of access to Universal, it's pretty hard to beat -- we took the water taxi both ways which was very easy and convenient, and the express passes allowed us to do all the rides we wanted to do with minimal hassle. (We did not bother to get up for early hours, and skipped the non-express-pass Hagrid and Velicocoaster rides, but if you want to do either or both of those then early hours is probably the way to go.)

Between the FHR on-property benefits, the $200 annual Amex Platinum FHR credit, and the express passes, we arguably netted out to minimal cost for the stay despite a $400 nightly rate, so would happily recommend staying here to anyone else in similar circumstances.

Did you ever get any clarification on this? I had a friend who booked through Universal and got the
perks but that was quite a while ago. I called Amex and they said you have to book through their portal.

You definitely have to book through Amex (at the rate they are charging, which may be more than you can get through other channels) to get FHR benefits.

Just to follow up on my own question earlier after our stay last week -- the dinner benefit was listed on the welcome letter as "one complimentary dinner for 2, per room ($100 value). Excluding alcoholic beverages, taxes, and gratuities. Please note, the dinner is not applicable at our third-party vendor, Bice."

We ended up eating at Trattoria del Porto, the same restaurant where breakfast is served, as there were no last-minute reservations available at Mamma Della's, the other non-Bice sit-down option. We ordered 2 appetizers and 2 mains, totalling about $90 before tax and tip, as well as 2 drinks, and the total with tax and tip came to about $150, and to my surprise the entire amount was removed from the bill automatically. So, I don't know what the exact rules are, but we were happy with it, and the dinner food at Trattoria was surprisingly good, quite a bit better than the good-but-not-great breakfast buffet. (We also ate at Bice the second night, which was very good.)

In terms of the other FHR benefits, everything was handled well. 4pm late checkout was proactively included at check-in. We were upgraded from a no-view room to a bay view room on the 5th floor. Breakfast buffet at Trattoria was included daily, and was removed from the bill automatically including the tip that I left on the check signed at the restaurant. We also received a fruit plate and welcome note in our room shortly after check-in.

Overall we had a very good stay. In terms of access to Universal, it's pretty hard to beat -- we took the water taxi both ways which was very easy and convenient, and the express passes allowed us to do all the rides we wanted to do with minimal hassle. (We did not bother to get up for early hours, and skipped the non-express-pass Hagrid and Velicocoaster rides, but if you want to do either or both of those then early hours is probably the way to go.)

Between the FHR on-property benefits, the $200 annual Amex Platinum FHR credit, and the express passes, we arguably netted out to minimal cost for the stay despite a $400 nightly rate, so would happily recommend staying here to anyone else in similar circumstances.

You definitely have to book through Amex (at the rate they are charging, which may be more than you can get through other channels) to get FHR benefits.

Thank you for your experiences there, not many of us knew much about the benefits of booking directly with Amex for that offer.

And glad to hear you had such a lovely and positive stay at PB.

Thank you for reporting back. I booked a stay for this Sept to use my $200 Amex Platinum credit for 2021, and plan to add a night to use 2022’s credit. Good to know that the dinner credit can’t be used at Bice.

I’m curious how it will work with more than two people in our party. We’ll be 2 adults and 2 kids (13 & 9).

I'm feeling all turned around trying to figure out where our room was in March. Is this the Villa Wing facing the Villa pool? I remember a decent walk down the hall to get to/from elevators. And I thought the club lounge wasn't too far from the elevators we used.
We have another queen club room and a garden view queen room booked for our next trip. This time we will have a 3 year old in tow in the club room so I don't want to be trekking long hallways, if possible. Should I just make a general request near lobby since that should cover proximity to club lounge & boat? Our nephew will be in the garden room & more stamina for the hallways, but my secondary request would be to have that room in the same wing as us since room types are all spread out thru the different wings, correct?
Also is there an email to submit requests or only the ressie number?
20210331_112029.jpg

Following this thread, amazing amount of info, as we just booked our first Universal vacation package at Portofino Bay for July\August! We are 20 year Disney vacation veterans and just needed a change this year, not to mention the increased pricing, genie etc.

Anyway, we booked a 7 night stay with 5 day, 3 park, park to park tickets. The resort looks absolutely gorgeous and we are looking to spend a lot of down time there, just relaxing and enjoying the amenities. The entire resort, parks, City Walk etc. are completely new to us. Hard to believe we have been visiting Florida and Disney for 20+ years and this will be brand new. Really excited!

Following this thread, amazing amount of info, as we just booked our first Universal vacation package at Portofino Bay for July\August! We are 20 year Disney vacation veterans and just needed a change this year, not to mention the increased pricing, genie etc.

Anyway, we booked a 7 night stay with 5 day, 3 park, park to park tickets. The resort looks absolutely gorgeous and we are looking to spend a lot of down time there, just relaxing and enjoying the amenities. The entire resort, parks, City Walk etc. are completely new to us. Hard to believe we have been visiting Florida and Disney for 20+ years and this will be brand new. Really excited!

We had our first Universal(and SeaWorld) trip last February after only going to Orlando for Disney for 20 years! and we love it! Been 3 times so far(we just went ahead and got passes, only $300!) and planning another for February. And with APs we can actually afford the premium hotels on site which we never did with Disney !

I'm feeling all turned around trying to figure out where our room was in March. Is this the Villa Wing facing the Villa pool? I remember a decent walk down the hall to get to/from elevators. And I thought the club lounge wasn't too far from the elevators we used.
We have another queen club room and a garden view queen room booked for our next trip. This time we will have a 3 year old in tow in the club room so I don't want to be trekking long hallways, if possible. Should I just make a general request near lobby since that should cover proximity to club lounge & boat? Our nephew will be in the garden room & more stamina for the hallways, but my secondary request would be to have that room in the same wing as us since room types are all spread out thru the different wings, correct?
Also is there an email to submit requests or only the ressie number?
View attachment 635023

That was our view when we visited. I wish we had another night so I could get in the pool

That was our view when we visited. I wish we had another night so I could get in the pool
We never used the pool either on my girlfriends trip in March. I assume it will be too cold for my liking in a few weeks. But I'll check the weather, just in case, bc I'm sure our 3 yo would love the beach pool.

I am the family Orlando theme park vacation planner, but I only know Disney and am trying to help my family of 4 with their first Universal trip.

Have a few questions:
Complimentary transportation from the airport – prior to 4PM, get your luggage and find the counter for the service. What to do if you arrive after 4PM (evening), Return to airport do you need to set it up in advance? How long before flight do they leave the hotel?

Grocery deliveries – you need to be there when the delivery service arrives (used Garden Grocer for Disney) what if your flight is late and you are not at the hotel?

Any where to buy milk, etc at the hotel?

Are there USB ports in the room to charge phones?

Towels at the pool?

Can/how do you charge things to your room when you are in the parks?

thank you in advance for any assistance, much appreciated.

I wasn't aware Universal did complimentary airport transfer...

Towels at the pool? Readily available

Can/how do you charge things to your room when you are in the parks? You can set this up on your key cards, they ask at check-in if you'd like to do so. It's quite convenient.

I wasn't aware Universal did complimentary airport transfer...

Towels at the pool? Readily available

Can/how do you charge things to your room when you are in the parks? You can set this up on your key cards, they ask at check-in if you'd like to do so. It's quite convenient.
thanks, checked with my daughter, there is a fee for the shuttle. sorry

Last edited:
I am looking to book my first stay here and will be booking a suite. I see these 2 options for when I want to book:

1-Bedroom Villa Suite consisting of a living area and a Club 2 Queen Room

1-Bedroom Hospitality Suite consisting of a living area and a 2 Queen Room

Does the Villa Suite include access to the club lounge? I assume it does since it says “club 2 queen room” but the description doesn’t mention any club access.

Does the larger and more expensive hospitality suite include club lounge access?

Do either the Villa suites or hospitality suites have balconies?

Thanks!

awesome! Could you post pictures if you get a chance ?
I land late Wednesday but will grab pix on Thursday . Then we move Friday morning to wdw.

Dd and I got the 18 month AP promo last year and wow it’s been great, this is our 3rd trip and have another one in May planned. We did cl PBR in May 2021, HRH cl 12/21. We liked the food better at PBH so I switched reservations last minute back to PBH for this week. It’s nice to have the quicker walk from HRH but for cl PBH wins.

The AP discount has been great too. Cl for the price of wdw moderates? Yes please.

I’ll get as many pix as I can, a lot depends on other guests. Hopefully it won’t be busy.

I land late Wednesday but will grab pix on Thursday . Then we move Friday morning to wdw.

Dd and I got the 18 month AP promo last year and wow it’s been great, this is our 3rd trip and have another one in May planned. We did cl PBR in May 2021, HRH cl 12/21. We liked the food better at PBH so I switched reservations last minute back to PBH for this week. It’s nice to have the quicker walk from HRH but for cl PBH wins.

The AP discount has been great too. Cl for the price of wdw moderates? Yes please.

I’ll get as many pix as I can, a lot depends on other guests. Hopefully it won’t be busy.
Awesome!! Thanks so much :) I love to show the pictures on here to my kids to help get them excited !!

I am looking to book my first stay here and will be booking a suite. I see these 2 options for when I want to book:

1-Bedroom Villa Suite consisting of a living area and a Club 2 Queen Room

1-Bedroom Hospitality Suite consisting of a living area and a 2 Queen Room

Does the Villa Suite include access to the club lounge? I assume it does since it says “club 2 queen room” but the description doesn’t mention any club access.

Does the larger and more expensive hospitality suite include club lounge access?

Do either the Villa suites or hospitality suites have balconies?

Thanks!

I am not certain but if the description includes a club room, I would think you would have club room privileges. They have two types of configurations, 1 that say club which are more expensive and 1 without. My best guess is the club room one has the access. Maybe someone who has booked it can confirm. I can confirm PB has a wonderful club level.

Hi everyone! Has anyone ever stayed at PBR during the superbowl? Do they show the game on a big screen anywhere?

So sorry, another question! Is there a set schedule for Musica della Notte? On the Universal website, it says to check on the Universal app. I'm on the app, but I don't see it anywhere on the app. Thanks so much!

That was my experience when booking with Amex FHR last year. I booked it again for this May. I was able to book it at the same rate as the ST and then of course you get the 200.00 off the room and all the benefits. The only disadvantage I've found is not being able to modify a reservation you have to cancel and rebook, but I was refunded in 48 hours.

Unfortunately, I'll probably cancel my Platinum card when the AF is due in June. They would have to give me a really good retention offer or reduce the AF to get me to keep it. I got the card for the great sign-on bonus. The PBH benefits have been a nice surprise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter