portofino inn, anaheim - anyone stayed recently, advice needed

whatname

Mouseketeer
I posted this in the Disneyland section but have not gotten any replies. Thought I would try here. Has anyone stayed recently at the Portofino Inn in Anaheim? Or know anything about it? DD (teenager) is going to a conference there. Her expenses are paid by the hosting organization, so I'm hesitant to say anything to the organizers, but the reviews for this place are not good. Most report that it is not clean and smells (some say of weed, some say so badly they asked for a room change) with some security concerns (locks not working, phones not working, electrical problems...) A lot of reviews say it is rundown/needs updating. I'm fine with that, as long as it is clean and safe. I understand reviews are not always accurate, but I trust your experiences. Anyone been there recently? It's walking distance to Disneyland.

This is causing me some anxiety. She is travelling with a trusted adult and DD is mature, so I wasn't at all concerned until I started reading about this hotel. Also, your advice on approaching this with the organizers would be appreciated. I can email one of them. They are putting several teenage girls in this hotel, along with their chaperones. I don't want to seem too picky or ungrateful for the opportunity they are giving, but I have some concerns. I don't want to be "that mom" either. Part of me says leave it alone. Part of me knows I will continue to worry about it.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry no advice either but I did just sit and read a few pages of reviews on TripAdvisor. While I wouldn’t want to stay at this hotel it seems that with all the bad reviews there are a few good ones in the mix also. Hopefully someone had stayed there recently and can give you there first hand account.

Sorry no advice either but I did just sit and read a few pages of reviews on TripAdvisor. While I wouldn’t want to stay at this hotel it seems that with all the bad reviews there are a few good ones in the mix also. Hopefully someone had stayed there recently and can give you there first hand account.
Thanks. I feel a little better knowing you had the same impression. I wouldn't choose it but there are some good mixed with the bad. So, it's not just me.

I posted this in the Disneyland section but have not gotten any replies. Thought I would try here. Has anyone stayed recently at the Portofino Inn in Anaheim? Or know anything about it? DD (teenager) is going to a conference there. Her expenses are paid by the hosting organization, so I'm hesitant to say anything to the organizers, but the reviews for this place are not good. Most report that it is not clean and smells (some say of weed, some say so badly they asked for a room change) with some security concerns (locks not working, phones not working, electrical problems...) A lot of reviews say it is rundown/needs updating. I'm fine with that, as long as it is clean and safe. I understand reviews are not always accurate, but I trust your experiences. Anyone been there recently? It's walking distance to Disneyland.

This is causing me some anxiety. She is travelling with a trusted adult and DD is mature, so I wasn't at all concerned until I started reading about this hotel. Also, your advice on approaching this with the organizers would be appreciated. I can email one of them. They are putting several teenage girls in this hotel, along with their chaperones. I don't want to seem too picky or ungrateful for the opportunity they are giving, but I have some concerns. I don't want to be "that mom" either. Part of me says leave it alone. Part of me knows I will continue to worry about it.

Thanks for the help!
We stayed there 5 years ago and although we didn't love it, there was really nothing unclean about our suite or dangerous about the location. The condition of the hotel may have deteriorated somewhat since then but the issues you mention could be one-off experiences that could occur anywhere. :earsboy:

We stayed there 5 years ago and although we didn't love it, there was really nothing unclean about our suite or dangerous about the location. The condition of the hotel may have deteriorated somewhat since then but the issues you mention could be one-off experiences that could occur anywhere. :earsboy:
Thanks. At least that’s some trusted info!!

Thanks. At least that’s some trusted info!!
Honestly, it's been so long I wouldn't want you to completely rely on my experience but I've stayed in several Good-Neighbor places when visiting DLR. None of them are the Ritz by any means. By-and-large you get a reasonably clean and comfortable room in an older hotel/motel with a small, undecorated pool in the parking lot at any of them. Service at the Portofino is basic and parking is over-crowded but I presume the chaperones will be handling all of that. If I was choosing a similar property for myself I'd book the Castle Inn. It's a little closer and has a little more character but really, the Portofino is economical (especially for two-room suites) and I'd go back under the right circumstances.

IMO, the entire Anaheim area right around the parks is perfectly safe enough to be going back-and-forth at reasonable hours. I personally wouldn't let girls that age out alone at night no matter where we were, but that's me. I wouldn't think this property would have any more or less risk than any other.

As far as it being walkable - let's say that's easier going in the morning than it is at the end of a long, tiring park day. ART comes right to the corner of Harbor and Ketella and that's how we got home most nights. :wave2:

Honestly, it's been so long I wouldn't want you to completely rely on my experience but I've stayed in several Good-Neighbor places when visiting DLR. None of them are the Ritz by any means. By-and-large you get a reasonably clean and comfortable room in an older hotel/motel with a small, undecorated pool in the parking lot at any of them. Service at the Portofino is basic and parking is over-crowded but I presume the chaperones will be handling all of that. If I was choosing a similar property for myself I'd book the Castle Inn. It's a little closer and has a little more character but really, the Portofino is economical (especially for two-room suites) and I'd go back under the right circumstances.

IMO, the entire Anaheim area right around the parks is perfectly safe enough to be going back-and-forth at reasonable hours. I personally wouldn't let girls that age out alone at night no matter where we were, but that's me. I wouldn't think this property would have any more or less risk than any other.

As far as it being walkable - let's say that's easier going in the morning than it is at the end of a long, tiring park day. ART comes right to the corner of Harbor and Ketella and that's how we got home most nights. :wave2:
Thanks so much. It's good to know about the area in general. They plan to walk to the park, so I'm glad to hear it is safe. We know and trust her chaperone, so she will be well supervised. I don't mind an older hotel with few frills, so that is good information. My anxiety may be going down a bit. We're on the east coast, so this is a major trip, a first without parents. I'm sure I'll find something else to worry about before she leaves.

We frequently stay at the Sheraton Park, which is the hotel just south of the Portofino. The area is safe -- we walk back and forth to the parks at all hours and have never yet had any problems. There is a 24/7 CVS on the corner of Harbor and Katella, just north of the Portofino, if your DD needs anything or has forgotten to pack something. The walk to the park gates is about 15 minutes at a comfortable pace, depending on the signals (Harbor and Katella is a major intersection). If your DD doesn't have any mobility issues and is in reasonably good shape, the walk to/from the parks isn't a big deal.
FYI: If you find that a post isn't getting any response on the DLR board, just bump it back up to the top until you do get a response! Wash, rinse, repeat until you get the answers you need. :)

We frequently stay at the Sheraton Park, which is the hotel just south of the Portofino. The area is safe -- we walk back and forth to the parks at all hours and have never yet had any problems. There is a 24/7 CVS on the corner of Harbor and Katella, just north of the Portofino, if your DD needs anything or has forgotten to pack something. The walk to the park gates is about 15 minutes at a comfortable pace, depending on the signals (Harbor and Katella is a major intersection). If your DD doesn't have any mobility issues and is in reasonably good shape, the walk to/from the parks isn't a big deal.
FYI: If you find that a post isn't getting any response on the DLR board, just bump it back up to the top until you do get a response! Wash, rinse, repeat until you get the answers you need. :)
Thanks for the information. They were going to uber to the park, but it seems like walking will be faster. I appreciate your advice!

Thanks for the information. They were going to uber to the park, but it seems like walking will be faster. I appreciate your advice!
Have her try walking at least once. If she doesn't find it to be difficult in any way, it will certainly save some spending money by using her own legs instead of Uber! And Uber won't be able to drop off on the same side of Harbor (the businesses on the east side of Harbor got wise to this). -- the drivers have to make a U-turn at Ball Rd., then drop off passengers in the drop off zone by the Harbor entrance -- this can add time if there is traffic at the Harbor/Ball intersection.

Have her try walking at least once. If she doesn't find it to be difficult in any way, it will certainly save some spending money by using her own legs instead of Uber! And Uber won't be able to drop off on the same side of Harbor (the businesses on the east side of Harbor got wise to this). -- the drivers have to make a U-turn at Ball Rd., then drop off passengers in the drop off zone by the Harbor entrance -- this can add time if there is traffic at the Harbor/Ball intersection.
Thanks! They'll have no trouble walking. Very good information, as they plan to use Uber to go other places. I will definitely pass this along. We are from a small town. We don't even have Uber here, so it's good to have info and be prepared.

Thanks! They'll have no trouble walking. Very good information, as they plan to use Uber to go other places. I will definitely pass this along. We are from a small town. We don't even have Uber here, so it's good to have info and be prepared.

Never stayed at the Portofino, but I have stayed at the Hilton that is right behind it many times, as well as the DoubleTree that is even further down Harbor, and have not had any concerns for my safety, even when walking alone as a rather small woman in my 30s. I wouldn't advise them to walk alone at night only because they are quite young and in an unfamiliar area, but otherwise should be fine. Unless there are mobility considerations, I agree with the pp that they should have no issues walking and shouldn't need an Uber.

Remember, as long as it's safe, your DD's expectations are probably much lower than yours insofar as accommodations are concerned.

My DD and I stayed in a 5-star hotel in Rome last year. On the day I was coming home (she was studying in Florence) I left her at our hotel and her friend met her. She checked out and the two of them checked into a hostel that was a far cry from 5-stars for the next few days. It's part of growing up to stay in "less than" hotels.

Like I said, safety first. I read the reviews and I didn't think it would be such a bad place for a young person to stay.

Remember, as long as it's safe, your DD's expectations are probably much lower than yours insofar as accommodations are concerned.

My DD and I stayed in a 5-star hotel in Rome last year. On the day I was coming home (she was studying in Florence) I left her at our hotel and her friend met her. She checked out and the two of them checked into a hostel that was a far cry from 5-stars for the next few days. It's part of growing up to stay in "less than" hotels.

Like I said, safety first. I read the reviews and I didn't think it would be such a bad place for a young person to stay.
Thanks for the reality check. You are likely right. In my mind, I'm thinking that she won't realize how dirty the carpet is and walk around barefoot. The horror! I'm sure she'll figure it out. She really won't be spending that much time there anyway. Live and learn (for both of us). I do feel a little better knowing some others have read the reviews and are familiar with the area.

it's probably important that they're aware of the age restrictions:
you have to be at least 18 to have an Über account
Any passenger(s) under 18 need to be accompanied by someone 18 or older
Same restrictions with Lyft

Look at the Portofino location on Google Maps -- they aren't very far from the Toy Story lot across Harbor. Technically, if your daughter really wants to ride back from the parks, she could take the free TS shuttles back from the parks, then walk from the TS lot back to her hotel. The TS lot is across Harbor from the Sheraton Park (the hotel where we usually stay, just south of the Portofino). Many DLR guests use the TS shuttles, whether they park in that lot or not. We prefer to just walk, but at least the TS shuttles are a free option.

it's probably important that they're aware of the age restrictions:
you have to be at least 18 to have an Über account
Any passenger(s) under 18 need to be accompanied by someone 18 or older
Same restrictions with Lyft
Thanks for the info. She'll be going out with an adult at all times, so she shouldn't have a problem. I didn't know that about the age restrictions though.

Look at the Portofino location on Google Maps -- they aren't very far from the Toy Story lot across Harbor. Technically, if your daughter really wants to ride back from the parks, she could take the free TS shuttles back from the parks, then walk from the TS lot back to her hotel. The TS lot is across Harbor from the Sheraton Park (the hotel where we usually stay, just south of the Portofino). Many DLR guests use the TS shuttles, whether they park in that lot or not. We prefer to just walk, but at least the TS shuttles are a free option.
Thanks for the information. I think they should have not problem walking, but it is always good to know all the options!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter