Portofino over Royal Pacific?

ForceofWill

Mouseketeer
So I was checking out prices and it seems like for our stay in July, a 2 queen room at Portofino is only a couple hundred more(over 7 nights) than what we're paying at Royal Pacific. I see the rooms are much bigger which is nice. We like to walk to the parks, walking from Beach club to Hollywood studios is fine with us, so I'm not quite sure how this compares with RP. I know there's a boat as well. It seems the food options at RP are great and I'm assuming PB is equally good? My kids love pizza and we love starbucks in the morning so it's nice they have both here.

What say the masses, should we move over or stick with Royal?

PB definitely is a nicer hotel option than RP. We've done a RP walk to the theme parks a couple of times, but it is far.

If you really want to be able to walk, HRH is by far the best option.

PB definitely is a nicer hotel option than RP. We've done a RP walk to the theme parks a couple of times, but it is far.

If you really want to be able to walk, HRH is by far the best option.

HRH doesn't seem to interest me, especially given the price. For us, we would consider the RP to citywalk a very close walk, we end up walking from Shades of Green to Magic Kingdom which is a little over 1.5 miles I believe so even the walk from PB doesn't seem too crazy to us.

HRH doesn't seem to interest me, especially given the price. For us, we would consider the RP to citywalk a very close walk, we end up walking from Shades of Green to Magic Kingdom which is a little over 1.5 miles I believe so even the walk from PB doesn't seem too crazy to us.
It's a pretty far walk from PB. The only time I walked it, we had to cross over a street and then cut through the HRH. Not at all like the walk from the Beach Club to DHS.

The walk from RP is much more like the walk from the Boardwalk to DHS. You even walk under a bridge.

The walk isn`t bad at all. It takes around 15 minutes and is mostly in shade, we`ve walked it a few times and even in extreme heat, it`s still relatively short.

The walk to RP and PB are both pleasant. Walking from the Studios to RP will take just over 10 minutes usually, much shorter to and from IOA, that walk takes us around 7 minutes, so no great differences, we always enjoy the walks.

I wouldn`t let the thought of a slightly longer walk put you off any hotel, it`s negligible.

Both hotels are lovely, you won`t go wrong with either. We are completely and utterly biased and much prefer RP, for us it has everything and the food choices appeal to us more as we aren`t fans of the PB restaurants........although Sal`s is the exception.....

Amazing pizza from there, but we also love the pizza from Jake`s......so the food options for us are much better at RP.

But, as I said, you won`t go wrong with either place.

PBR and RPR are the 2 places we usually will stay (though we have the occasional non-unlimited EP CBBR stay if going in a really slow time). In general, if the price is the same, we would probably be at PBR every time. As noted, the rooms are noticeably bigger/roomier. PBR also has 3 pools to choose from. My wife and daughter like to lay out at the calmer pool. I tend to call it the "adult" pool, but I don't think there are any age limits. It's just that kids usually prefer the big main pool with the slide. And having a full Starbucks on-site is nice. But, like schumigirl, overall we tend to like the restaurants at RPR a bit better. I love having sushi at Orchid's a couple of times during our stay and we usually will get the nachos at the Bula Grill for lunch. If we are staying at PBR, we will have pizza from Sal's at least once.

As for the walk, RPR is a shorter walk to IOA than from HRH. So basically, the walks from HRH and RPR aren't that much different with both being a very easy walk to either the parks or Citywalk. We tend to walk to/from the parks from RPR about half the time If we are going to or coming back from IOA or CityWalk, we tend to walk it. If we are heading to US, we will tend to take the water taxi. But from PBR, we almost always take the water taxi. Note that Universal will normally have a couple of boats going back and forth to each of the hotels and during heavy use times, they may even have 3 or 4 boats for each of the hotels. So the waits usually aren't very long.

To directly answer OPs question...The distance from PBH to studios is about .8 of a mile, using the walking path next to the canal. The waking distance from BC to DHS is close to a mile. The walking distance is similar.

The boat from PBH to CityWalk is non stop. During peak times multiple boats are run. Not a long wait for the next boat. You clear security before you enter the dock or at the end of the walkway. No security at the park entrance.

Also, Universal water taxis are MUCH faster and efficient than at Disney. They come very frequently and load/unload quickly. Not sure what type of boats they use, but they just whip them in there like nothing. It always seems to take forever at Disney on the boats.

We usually stay at HRH, and the rooms are even larger at PBH. I can tell you the rooms seemed TINY to us at RPH. For just my husband and I it would be great, but we were cramped with our 2 boys and that would be a major reason for us not to stay there, especially for a long trip. Also, I don't believe the pool has a slide at RPH.

Also, Universal water taxis are MUCH faster and efficient than at Disney. They come very frequently and load/unload quickly. Not sure what type of boats they use, but they just whip them in there like nothing. It always seems to take forever at Disney on the boats.

We usually stay at HRH, and the rooms are even larger at PBH. I can tell you the rooms seemed TINY to us at RPH. For just my husband and I it would be great, but we were cramped with our 2 boys and that would be a major reason for us not to stay there, especially for a long trip. Also, I don't believe the pool has a slide at RPH.

We drive down and the wife brings a lot of luggage lol. We'll probably have 2 large suitcases, 3 carryon size at least. I worry at RP that it would clutter the room a lot. Shades rooms are around 450 I think and that size is soo nice. I think Jakes is a place we would eat at a bunch, not too interested in the higher end italian places which means we would need reservations at city walk. But since we drive maybe that'll give me and excuse to head down to restaurant row since it's so close and try some local joints.

Decisions are hard when the prices are the same lol.

passholder rates for our dates in early august have PBR cheaper than RP for the days we want express pass.

IMO, PBR is a more grander and more immersive hotel in terms of theme. Its interesting to look at and the atmosphere really transports you. RPR is beautiful too, but I don't get the same feels there as I do at PBR.

For us, generally speaking, if we're on a tight budget, we will stay at RPR. If we want to splurge, we stay at HRH. We like the proximity of HRH to City Walk which is the closest walking distance of the three resorts. PBR is the furthest of the 3, but its still doable and the water taxi is another option.

We've stayed at both, and our whole family would pick Portofino over RP.

The rooms are MUCH bigger.
THere is a chance of patio or balcony (not guaranteed and far and few between, but a chance)
We think the pools are nicer too

We have stayed at both, and like both for different reasons.
Portofino is beautiful, the rooms are larger, love the restaurants, lounge, and the theme of the resort. A longer walk to the parks. easy boat service.
Royal Pacific was not quite the same level. Good restaurant, better quick service, loved the short walk to the parks.
Portofino is our first choice, Royal Pacific is a close second.
Stayed at hard Rock once and didn't care for it, others love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter