Possible MagicBand requirement. (RUMOR)

Yeah, I've always thought it was more of an infrastructure question.

That said, ever since digital FastPass came along in 2016 the scanners at attractions have had the ring and a place to tap. Whether there was anything behind that ring is a matter of conjecture, but since the current iteration with the place to stick your phone inside I'm guessing the hardware was there (2019?). It does beg the question of what took so long since phones were never tappable and required the scanning of barcodes. Perhaps they knew they were moving away from basic RFID to NFC and didn't build the old RFID readers into the touchpoints?

I'm looking forward to seeing how they plus it over the next few years.

The new scanners started showing up June 2017, not 2016, but there was temp, brief testing that happened at a couple rides prior to that. MP released not long after in July 2017. And I want to say... May? 2017 they put the parks on the same grid for FP. So no more double dipping on FPs even if willing to put in the steps.

The scanners with the insert for your phone started showing up 2018 (and was really just an update because of bright sun issues making it difficult for your screen to be scanned with the old version).

I always heard the rumor (but never saw it officially confirmed) that RFID tech was in those scanners. It was just never activated. But I emphasize it's hearsay and I would not be able to prove it. It certainly looked like it should have been there. But they changed out scanners so :confused3

Agreed it'll be interesting to see where they go with it from here. I miss MP and won't buy G+ so I don't get to use the ride tap points, but I do really appreciate it for PhotoPass. But they are very limited in functionality at DLR for sure. I find value in them, but they really aren't doing enough yet to make them desirable to the average person on the west coast. I'm just a tech junkie who's a sucker for a cute little light show.

The only way I see this working was if stayed with the free magic bands. Now that they're pay-per-band it's not happening. I like the idea of it all being on the band/rfid chip that can be read thought the park. The possibilities on something like this are endless for interactions and information gathering for Disney. The logistics would be almost impossible though given technology limitations.

The more interesting part of requiring them not addressed here is an Apple Watch can function in place of one so how would that even work, if there was any teeth to the rumor. There's not mind you but that's one more level of issue to show that it's an ludicrous idea to require MB at either park system.

They are either repeating something they heard elsewhere or they are acting as if they are "in-the-know". Happens in almost every industry, really.
Had a store CM tell me when I pulled out my ap for my discount at WDW that in the next month or two we would be required to always show the AP on the app, physical cards wouldn’t be allowed. It was completely unsolicited and they were absolutely confident.

Its been 1-2 years since 😂

Honestly, I wish! The shift over to using phones and worst of all, Apple Watches for ticket scanning is, as a PP pointed out, annoying as all get-out to get stuck behind, worse even than the old days when you'd see Mom pull out a rubber-banded stack of paper tickets and start scanning them one by one while her kids just wandered away from the turnstile.
The phone/watch tech means that almost everyone who uses it scans for more than one person, which is s-l-o-w and often buggy when a large tranche of tickets are involved.

I just bought a new regular MB (a 50th Anniversary one) last month. I debated MB+, but as things stand, I don't really see a benefit to me in spending more for it.

I certainly don't want MB to go away, though; I really don't want to have to have my phone out all the time in a theme park, to say nothing of their convenience at water parks.

Honestly, I wish! The shift over to using phones and worst of all, Apple Watches for ticket scanning is, as a PP pointed out, annoying as all get-out to get stuck behind, worse even than the old days when you'd see Mom pull out a rubber-banded stack of paper tickets and start scanning them one by one while her kids just wandered away from the turnstile.
The phone/watch tech means that almost everyone who uses it scans for more than one person, which is s-l-o-w and often buggy when a large tranche of tickets are involved.

I just bought a new regular MB (a 50th Anniversary one) last month. I debated MB+, but as things stand, I don't really see a benefit to me in spending more for it.

I certainly don't want MB to go away, though; I really don't want to have to have my phone out all the time in a theme park, to say nothing of their convenience at water parks.
I was thinking the same thing. Getting stuck behind one person who does this is bad enough but have it happen a few times within a day and I start to understand why people are getting in so many fist fights. Add in being in a hurry or this happening at park open...

I was thinking the same thing. Getting stuck behind one person who does this is bad enough but have it happen a few times within a day and I start to understand why people are getting in so many fist fights. Add in being in a hurry or this happening at park open...
I've used my phone and or watch at WDW and on Delta. In the end I went back to a paper boarding pass and use my AP card or room key card with linked daily tickets.

The AP cards and WDW room keys us RFID tech, work just as fast as Magic Bands and don't have to be recharged.

Another plus is I'm conserving my battery life for things I absolutely must use my iPhone for like Genie, etc..

I don't see this happening any time soon with today's supply chain problems and given that they were free until somewhat recently. These devices are rediculously cheap to mass produce so it would be another easy home run for Iger to return to the policy of complimentary MagicBands for Resort guests.

Disney's website currently states this regarding MagicBands:

Important MagicBand Information

Due to ongoing, industry-wide supply chain challenges, MagicBands may have limited availability or be unavailable in some styles. Our teams are working to improve our selection over the coming weeks and recommend Guests continue to check back to see if their preferred style is available.

If you are traveling to Walt Disney World Resort soon, we encourage you to use the My Disney Experience mobile app to access a digital room key and the Disney MagicMobile service once you arrive. Disney MagicMobile service is available on eligible smartphones and is a convenient way to access MagicBand features. With Disney MagicMobile service, you first link entitlements to your Disney account and then create a mobile pass to access select theme park and Disney Resort hotel features, such as entering theme parks with valid admission and a theme park reservation, charging food and merchandise purchases to the payment card on file at your Disney Resort hotel room during your stay, connecting Disney PhotoPass images and more—similar to how you use a MagicBand. Disney MagicMobile is available for Guests in the United States.

For Disney Resort guests, you can use the My Disney Experience mobile app to access a digital room key feature. With the feature, you can unlock your hotel resort room door and common area doors using your eligible smartphone.

Call me cynical, but if Disney thinks they can make more money off requiring Magic Bands, they will do it.

As desperate as Disney seems with profit margins of late, there's no chance they require magic bands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter