Possible update to Genie+

One of the biggest complaints about the WDW park experience right now is that it's too overly complicated and then they do this.....? ......okay then.
Dynamic pricing and algorithms run rampant in the vacation sphere. I long for the “olden” days of price simplicity.

Is it cheaper? Is it more expensive? It’s really the never ending particulars that have become “too much.”

I love Disney but they are that one friend that just cannot help but complicate things!

Now I just go and bow down to the Genie Gods, but I no longer do table service except for one meal. Still feel blessed.

Dynamic pricing and algorithms run rampant in the vacation sphere. I long for the “olden” days of price simplicity.

Is it cheaper? Is it more expensive? It’s really the never ending particulars that have become “too much.”

I love Disney but they are that one friend that just cannot help but complicate things!

Now I just go and bow down to the Genie Gods, but I no longer do table service except for one meal. Still feel blessed.
I agree with your first point. That isn't unique to Disney. I'm seeing it with my own eyes during my early Japan trip planning stage.

I just thought it was interesting that Disney is doubling down on one of the biggest criticisms I see towards the parks right now. This specific anouncement has even made the Disney FB groups I'm in call out Disney for this. They're usually full of hardcore Disney defenders but this was too much.

DLgal, good idea BUT, no way it would ever be $5.
$20 and higher. Disney knows to avoid wait time is worth big bucks.

Nah. They would get far more people going for it at $5. $20 is enough to make people angry, not willing to pay for more than one ride.

Nah. They would get far more people going for it at $5. $20 is enough to make people angry, not willing to pay for more than one ride.
In Tokyo Disneyland, the new Beauty and the Beast ride cost 2000 yen to skip the line. That is around $14 with recent conversions. I am seeing a lot of American tourists to that park saying they are willing to pay that to avoid the 3 hour wait that ride gets. Honestly, I am too and I am putting it into my trip budget.

I think people are willing to pay more than $5 for certain rides. Maybe not Slinky but definitely Rise and FOP for example.

In Tokyo Disneyland, the new Beauty and the Beast ride cost 2000 yen to skip the line. That is around $14 with recent conversions. I am seeing a lot of American tourists to that park saying they are willing to pay that to avoid the 3 hour wait that ride gets. Honestly, I am too and I am putting it into my trip budget.

I think people are willing to pay more than $5 for certain rides. Maybe not Slinky but definitely Rise and FOP for example.

I said they could keep the higher pricing for the rides they currently use ILL for. I think $15-20 is fair for newer or highest demand rides. But literally all the other rides should be $5. And they should add this option to LITERALLY every ride.

I said they could keep the higher pricing for the rides they currently use ILL for. I think $15-20 is fair for newer or highest demand rides. But literally all the other rides should be $5. And they should add this option to LITERALLY every ride.
Fair. I missed that, so I apologize. I think that's how Disneyland Paris does it and from what I see, most guests aren't buying it. I see that mainly the American "once in a lifetime" guests do.

Fair. I missed that, so I apologize. I think that's how Disneyland Paris does it and from what I see, most guests aren't buying it. I see that mainly the American "once in a lifetime" guests do.

But I think DL Paris went too high on their pricing or made it too variable from ride to ride. A flat rate per ride that never changes would work well here, I think. We are so used to subscription pricing and "pay as you go" nowadays that it would be much more instinctual than the debacle of variable pricing and tiers they have now created. The most successful business plans are straightforward and logical.

But I think DL Paris went too high on their pricing or made it too variable from ride to ride. A flat rate per ride that never changes would work well here, I think. We are so used to subscription pricing and "pay as you go" nowadays that it would be much more instinctual than the debacle of variable pricing and tiers they have now created. The most successful business plans are straightforward and logical.
I agree with that. The last time I checked, they charged 8 euro (almost $9) for Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters. If it's anything like the one in Florida, it is NOT worth that money.

I think in theory, it sounds good. IF the multipark is priced the way it is now (because right now all Genie+ is already multipark), and the Epcot/AK Genie+ prices went down, then that's an improvement. But I'd be extremely surprised if it actually pans out that way. What I'm anticipating is "multipark" (ie, Genie+ as we've always known it ) priced HIGHER than what we pay now, with AK/Epcot being priced just slightly lower than what we pay now. Don't get me wrong, I really really hope you're right.

The other thing here is that a multipark Genie+ for a day you might want to split between Epcot and AK is going to cost the same as splitting a day between HS/MK.
When are these people going to learn - never spin changes Disney makes in a positive way - try to think of the WORST way this can pan out for you, and know that that is actually the best this is going to turn out, because Disney has probably thought of something worse for you.

This will provide benefits to absolutely no one - this will cost everyone more money.

You think they are going to drop the floor of pricing? You think they are going to do ANYTHING to save you money? They aren't. The lowest priced park will be what they would have charged for G+ for all parks, and they will increase from there.

You don't have to pay $27 unless you want G+ at MK or MK and AK, HS, EP. You can pay $16 to use G+ for AK only and still hop to other parks.
But we don't know this for sure yet, right? Let's say their morning is at MK, and they made a park reservation for MK, but they plan on hopping to AK in the evening. Will they be able to buy Genie+ for just AK if they want to? Or will Disney require them to buy the multi-parks Genie+ to book AK, since the park reservation is at MK? I think we'll find out on the 27th.

They are making hand over fist on Genie+.... They'll continue to test the upper limits of this until consumers say no.

What they understand, is in a world of instant gratification people are willing to pay almost anything to not have to wait in line.

They are making hand over fist on Genie+.... They'll continue to test the upper limits of this until consumers say no.

What they understand, is in a world of instant gratification people are willing to pay almost anything to not have to wait in line.
Agreed. The difference is most other parks do it much simpler.

They understand that artificially increasing the wait times will lead people to spend more money while also costing the company less.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter