Possibly Unpopular Opinion-Room requests (don't do it)

I see a lot of people stress over room requests. I highly recommend not making any whatsoever.
Excellent advice for those who stress over room requests.

I always make room requests because I don't stress if I don't get it. It's wonderful to get the room I requested but I'm just fine when I don't.

I'm curious about those who DO stress about room requests: if you don't request one do you stress over wondering what might have happened if you DID?

Excellent advice for those who stress over room requests.

I always make room requests because I don't stress if I don't get it. It's wonderful to get the room I requested but I'm just fine when I don't.

I'm curious about those who DO stress about room requests: if you don't request one do you stress over wondering what might have happened if you DID?
When I made a request that wasn’t granted (requested even number but got odd number room), it made me feel like I wasn’t a valued guest and they really didn’t care about my happiness and it wasn’t the magical beginning that I’d factored into my visions of a perfect trip. Made me feel like I had a chip on my shoulder during moments of the trip.

Next trip, didn’t make a request, got an odd number room, but didn’t even bat an eye. I pictured some kind of North Pole elves scene where they all carefully stared at a resort map and did their best to find the perfect room for my family. (And it was a great room)

I’m clearly exaggerating a bit to make my point, but in both cases, the outcome was the same. The only thing that changed was my expectation. Being happy with what was offered rather than trying to control the narrative in a situation that was out of my hands made such a huge difference. So if anything, I stress way less when I don’t make a request.

I’m clearly exaggerating a bit to make my point, but in both cases, the outcome was the same. The only thing that changed was my expectation. Being happy with what was offered rather than trying to control the narrative in a situation that was out of my hands made such a huge difference. So if anything, I stress way less when I don’t make a request.

You are perfectly correct. It is about expectation.

Our last trip I made requests for BCV and received literally the opposite of every request. First floor, farthest from lobby, pool, next to parking lot lol... overlooking the canal next to street.

We arrived 5 hours after we were supposed to...11:30 pm. I cried. No other rooms in the "inn" so to speak.

I decided... this is silly! Well my DH helped me decide that lol.

Ended up liking the room just fine. Who knew first floor is fun!?

We go in a month and I have decided to just go with the flow... I cannot control the situation and I will be happy I am there~

It all depends where I’m staying….
‘SSR I really don't care,
BLT or RIv I want to be above the 4th floor
other than that…. Whatever is fine ….. my wife says close to the pool

This is going to sound funny, but until I became more active on this site and doing more reading, I never even thought of putting in a room request! Lol! I didn’t know it was a thing unless you needed an accessible room or a crib etc.
Now that I have been on here for a while, it appears more people get the opposite of what they requested than the other way around! So I’m my weird mind I started thinking Disney rewards those who go with the flow 🤣
This coming trip we are staying CR TPV and I didn’t ask for anything. I did add grandsons birthday because it’s the second day we are there.

I hate, hate, hate ground floors. I tend to request high floor or something like that.

One time at Pop, I requested upper floor in 50s or 60s. Got ground floor 90s.
Last year at SSR I only requested 2nd floor or higher. Got ground floor. Thankfully they were able to switch my to the third floor. I am always surprised how often I get it since I know many people with strollers and ECvs request it.

I have thought about not requesting anything next trip. But then I’ll probably end up with the ground floor🙄

I’ve only put in very generic requests (okw- turtle pond) Got that. Sometimes I think a mischievous mouse sees some of the requests and decides ‘it’s Opposite Day!). And gives people a totally different room location.

Rooms are assigned 10 to 14 days prior.

It's kind of like TETTIS where all the pieces have to fall into position.

My wife and I had a trip a few years back where we were placed in a two-bedroom, even though we had booked a 1 bedroom...

The story I got, someone miscounted the days assigning the rooms and they could either offer us another hotel, a standard view, or the two-bedroom was available.....

I’d would always ask. My thoughts are if they are this bad with a request, they could be even worst If I don’t ask.

Always wanted a high enough floor at BCV to see fireworks. Never got it.

Room within the first two sections at kidani, never got it.

At BLT we had a lake view room, that you saw the lake if you stood crooked to look through the trees and beyond the pool.

In 25 ish DVC trips,we have never gotten the “wow, this room is amazing” room. We’ve had rooms that the walk is long but…… or view is crummy but….. But not boy I wish we could get this room every time.

I've only put in one room request, to be close to the Skyliner at Caribbean Beach, and Disney delivered. Building 41, the third or fourth closest possible too to the Skyliner. My door to Hollywood Studios in under 10 minutes, Epcot was under 15.

We put in a room request and have gotten it every time. I just let the fam know that it is a request and not a guarantee. Ultimately, we are thankful to be there and are happy with whatever room we get.

It’s only a request and doesn’t make or break our trips. The only time it mattered was when I requested a building with an elevator at OKW because I had 2 people traveling in scooters. They had to walk up 2 flights of stairs every day, but they were troopers.

I always do room requests for fun just to see if I do get the room or close to it. I always book the category I want and don't ask for upgrades or a different category.

I travel to WDW solo a lot. I always request not to be on the ground floor when I am alone because it kinda freaks me out. I don’t always get it but I find if I talk to the CM’s at the front desk and tell them why I don’t want ground floor they do their best to accommodate me.

I travel to WDW solo a lot. I always request not to be on the ground floor when I am alone because it kinda freaks me out. I don’t always get it but I find if I talk to the CM’s at the front desk and tell them why I don’t want ground floor they do their best to accommodate me.
As another solo traveler, this is my request also. Surprisingly, I got a little push-back the one time I got first floor (plus my room faced the back of the building with big bushes for someone to hide in). But after about a minute of trying nicely, but firmly to convince me to stay, she suddenly switched to being super nice, found a new room, and offered to help me move to the new room. I suspect she heard herself.

Now that I have been on here for a while, it appears more people get the opposite of what they requested than the other way around! So I’m my weird mind I started thinking Disney rewards those who go with the flow
I don't think that's the case. Every time I have put in a request (I don't always make requests) I get what I wanted. One piece of advice that I've been given is that, if you do make a request, make one request or specify which of multiple requests is most important to you. So don't ask for a ground floor room, close to the lobby, and near the elevator, for example because if that room - of which there may only be one - isn't available, they will pick for you and if being near the elevator is most important and there isn't one, they may decide that ground floor will work for you. And, obviously, depending on how busy it is, they simply may not be able to accommodate anything. We typically try to go in lower seasons so that definitely helps, although we went once over the Christmas holidays and we got the very room we requested at BC.

I use Touring Plans to make my request and what you do is pick a specific room that's in your category but can make comments. So I pick the room I want but then may say "in this general vicinity" or "this wing" or "this building". Most times we end up getting the exact room we want and sometimes just a room or two away. It may also help because there's just two of us so any room can accommodate two people and since we often request a king bed, it's easier to put us there and reserve rooms which sleep more for others.

I cried.

I decided... this is silly! Well my DH helped me decide that lol.
I had to laugh at this as this has been me more times than I’d like to admit. Me with the meltdown because things didn’t go as I planned or hoped. Husband helping me “decide” to go with the flow.

It’s tough because it’s usually the wife/mom that plans the whole trip and when things don’t fall into place you just want to cry. Add to that the stress of planning a Disney trip these days and it makes for the perfect storm.

We had a bad view at the Yacht Club this last time but I decided to (as the song goes) “let it go” with a little help from my husband. Those guys come in handy sometimes, don’t they.

I started thinking Disney rewards those who go with the flow 🤣
This may be true. I put in a floor request for Aulani and nothing more. Usually I request floor plus other specifics. Our room at Aulani was was best Disney room we have ever had. Location, view, access all perfect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter