Post Cruise Transfers - Rome

TXspartan

Earning My Ears
Looking for advice on post cruise transfers or excursions that others have done before. Given the early morning arrival in port looking for something to do before we can check into our AirBNB.

Looking for advice on post cruise transfers or excursions that others have done before. Given the early morning arrival in port looking for something to do before we can check into our AirBNB.
Luggage storage is your biggest concern i suspect. they started a new express service last year, but I haven't been back to Italy or heard how it worked out. link.

We have Rome in Limo booked for a post-cruise excursion this time around. It's private so it's a little expensive, but we've booked it with another family we met on a previous cruise that will also be on this one so it brought the cost down a bit. We haven't used Rome in Limo before but they have nothing but rave reviews. Others here on the DIS have used them, not sure if post- or pre-cruise, but definitely for excursions when docked in Civi for the day.

Now on the way to Rome, we have booked Nicola Rome Transfer who is highly rated on Trip Advisor. I can't speak to personal experience (yet) but he's charging us 120 Euros plus 25 Euros an hour for the driver to stop (with our luggage secure with the driver in the car) at Necropolis Banditaccia, which I figure will be around an hour or so stop to look around at the tombs.

We considered booking with My Day Trip. Someone recommended that transfer with stop in Ostia on Cruise Critic and said that their driver was great, but ultimately, My Day Trip assigns a driver (and it could be anyone) and I wanted to book direct and eliminate the middle man. (I'm middle-man way after a bad experience with Viator.) But that site is helpful to give you a couple of ideas of things that can be visited between Rome and Civi if you want to make a sightseeing stop.

In 2018 we disembarked in Civi and took the train. We sort of took our time getting off the ship in the morning and after we took the train and we ended up getting to Rome early afternoon. Our AirBnB host was available and ready for early check in - I had asked about it in advance. Not sure if you'd checked to see if this is an option or not, but some will work with you either for free or an extra early check in fee.

Our hotel arranged a car to pick us up at the port and take us to our hotel where we stored our luggage and then headed out to the colosseum. The car was fairly expensive (185 euros), but it is a pretty long journey and it just made things so much more simple that it was worth it to me.

Following our Mediterranean cruise last summer, my family booked a tour to Tivoli Gardens with Joe Banana Tours. The driver met us at the Civitavecchia port, drove us to Villa Adriana and Villa D’Este, and brought us to a great restaurant for lunch. He stayed with the car, so we could leave our luggage safely. We had a flight the next day, so we were dropped off at an airport hotel, but we could have gone to a hotel in Rome instead.

You're smart to check into transfers from the port. Unlike most other ports, Citi doesn't have dozens of cabs on standby. Our travel agent made arrangements for us, fortunately, so we weren't among the dozens of passengers scrambling to find a way into Rome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter