Post your Atkins success stories here`

goofymom/pop

<font color=deeppink>oh where oh where can the tag
Hi all....my hubby and I are on week three of Atkins......so far so good.

Paul is at 18 pounds lost
I am at 6.....we are looking forward to a summer with out stretchy shorts...yipppeeee!!!

How are you doing?

Cindy

Congratulations on losing so much weight in such a short time period. Be very careful though. Losing so much weight so quickly can be very unhealthy. Take care not to stay on any diet without carbohydrates too long. Your body does need them.

Originally posted by welovemickey
Take care not to stay on any diet without carbohydrates too long. Your body does need them.

Atkins is not a NO carbohydrate diet, it is a LOW carbohydrate diet. If you follow Atkins properly, you're eating a healthier diet than most any other... whole foods, including meats, proteins, LOTS of vegetables, and low-glycemic fruits.

Your body DOES NOT need sugar, flour or other refined carbohydrates. A diet full of natural proteins and fibers is much better than one full of pasta, Twinkies and sugary foods.

As far as losing weight quickly... doing so by following a healthy diet is not bad for you, nor unhealthy. Many people lose 10 pounds in the first few weeks of following a low-carb plan. Much of the initial weight loss is water weight as your metabolism gets used to a new way of eating, and as your carb intake is cut dramatically... carbs hold water. After the first few fairly restrictive weeks, weight loss often slows to 1-2 pounds a week (and is actually fat burning), which is extremely healthy. If it doesn't slow, low-glycemic, low-carb foods are added to up the carb level so that weight doesn't drop too quickly.

The only unhealthy thing about low-carb diets is the mis-information about them.

As far as low-carb successes, tips/tricks and recipes... you might want to check out the WISH board (you can find it here: http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&forumid=59, or by going to the Community Board... it's at the top of the page).

"The only unhealthy thing about low-carb diets is the mis-information about them."

Unfortunately, a lot of people hear stories like above and jump on the bandwagon and are misinformed.

I have a lot of clients that tell me about the Atkins diet that they are following (whether it is being followed correctly remains to be seen), and I find it unhealthy.

I tell my clients to be very careful as to how much weight they lose in a period of time because it is unhealthy to lose so quickly.

Hey gang---make sure you check out the WISH board on the Community Board! You'll find lots of people there trying various methods to lose weight! :)

Its not my success story but my husband's. In march 2002 I found out that I was expecting twins. We already have a 2 yr old DS. My husband is 6'8"and at the time weighted 400 lbs. He played college football. He didn't look really fat but like a escapee from an NFL training ap that went on a few twinkee binges. Well as of today he weighs 253lbs and is in the best shape in the 20 yrs I've known him. He works out 5 days a week for 30 mins a day. People who say Atkins type diets maybe could explain why with all the low fat high carb diets out there obesity & diabetes are epidemic proportions. And prior to 1950 when diets were more protien based there was virtually no heart attacks or cancer?? Isn't it interesting that right around the time the family farm was changed from cattle growing to wheat growing the food pyramid the goverment recommends is carbo based? And yet Americans are getting fatter and fatter?? You have to do what works for you but I think most diets fail because people look at them as quick fixes rather than taking a hard look at their lives and making permenant changes. I myself will try Atkins once I finish b/f my twins.

PS Rather than bashing a diet w/o info why not check it out and be informed. I think the website is atkins.com Another point diets are big money - pills, drinks,weight loss centers etc . but we never bought anything. DH followed diet from free website. And of course see your doctor. Good Luck

Twinglemom,

I was not bashing any diet. Just stating my opinion, which is what this forum is about. I happen to be in the health and fitness profession and deal with all types of people everyday. I encourage a good diet and exercise.

I am quite informed about health and diet, thank you very much. Please don't attack people because of their opinions.

Originally posted by welovemickey
I am quite informed about health and diet, thank you very much.

Many "informed" people actually have no clue about any diets other than the typical low-fat, low-calorie diet. Not saying that's necessarily true for the majority, or for you, but it's a sad fact.

Many of the misconceptions about low-carb are that people following the low-carb diet (as in lifestyle eating habits meaning, not drop-pounds-quick meaning) are eating no carbs. They only eat fat and protein. Simply not true. And many "informed" people can't seem to get that. And don't want to.

Nor do they understand, or want to, that many people follow low-carb diets to eat healthy, not necessarily to lose weight.

Any diet (again, lifestyle) that promotes whole foods, including vegetables and fruits cannot be considered unhealthy by any means.

And moderate exercise is important for anyone.

I thought it was okay to post opinions and comments on this board without being attacked.

It's part of my job to be "informed" about diet. I am not saying that whatever diet someone is on is NOT healthy, my only comment was to be careful about how much weight a person loses in a short amount of time. I've seen a lot of people lose a lot of weight only to gain it back plus more very quickly. On the other side of the coin, I've seen those that take off that same amount in the same period of time and keep it off.

Sure, I can tell you a success story about the Atkins Diet- it was so successful, it killed an old friend of mine! He was in his early 30s and suffered a heart attack...he wound up dying a couple of days later, leaving behind a wife and a young child. He was a little bit overweight, but certainly not obese and didn't have any other health issues.

My advice- if you've thoroughly researched the health implications the Atkins (and other) diets can cause and are still gung-ho about continuing it, be prepared to continue the diet for the rest of your life or you will gain the weight back. In the past year I have been successful in losing over 20 pounds, and that is because I have made a lifestyle change- I eat less, snack less, don't eat late at night, etc. That doesn't mean I don't indulge myself every now and again, but I try and choose my foods wisely and eat sensible portions. I think that's the only way to truly keep the weight off.

I'm sorry if I came across sounding preachy- I really don't mean to. I am just very anti-diet to begin with, and even moreso anti-Atkins Diet because of the fate of my friend. I do wish you and everyone else the best of luck in your weight loss endeavors- it works wonders on your self image and energy levels!!

Originally posted by Clover9990
if you've thoroughly researched the health implications the Atkins (and other) diets can cause and are still gung-ho about continuing it, be prepared to continue the diet for the rest of your life or you will gain the weight back.

That's true of ANY weight-loss diet.

What people need to start thinking is not weight-loss diet, but lifestyle diet. Look up diet in the dictionary... the original meaning is/was "The usual food and drink of a person or animal." You do it exactly the way you have... you make changes, and you make them permanent.

You can't expect to drink shakes for breakfast and lunch for 6 months, and then go back to eating Big Macs and fries for lunch and expect to maintain any kind of weight loss you might have achieved. Same goes for counting points for a year, and then going back to Twinkies and ice cream. Same thing holds true for lowing your fat intake for a short period of time. And, the same thing holds true for low-carb... once you go back to that high-carb lifestyle, yes, you're going to gain any weight you may have lost, and your going to get back the health problems that came with high-carb.

Low carb diets are recommended for treatment of many illnesses & diseases... the blood-sugar maintenance makes it a perfect diet for diabetics. Low-carb has been found to be helpful in easing symptoms of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. It's recommended for women who suffer with PCOS. It's been shown to help lower cholesterol. The list goes on...

Low carb diets have been around since man. Certainly you don't think the first humans ate high carbs, do you? They ate protein from the animals they hunted, they ate vegitation, and they had fruits or berries they may have found, depending on the season. That's the essence of a low-carb diet. Eskimos followed a low-carb diet without trying... and they were healthy and fit.

The epidemic of obesity in this country has been around for the last 30 years... same amount of time the food pyramid has been touted as healthy. You've got to figure, something is wrong with this picture. If we're eating healthier foods, and lowering our fat intake, but gaining weight... something isn't working.

People shouldn't have to go on weight-loss diets... it shouldn't be a multi-billion dollar industry. But it is.

There is nothing inherently unhealthy about lowering your carbs. You're not getting nutrition out of white bread, pasta, potatoes and sugar. Cutting down on those items alone will make ANYONE healthier. And yes, it may even have a weight-loss effect.

I'm not attacking anyone. Trust me. There is a LOT of misinformation in the world about lowering carbs (and Atkins... but that's a whole 'nother story)... it's only by rational discussion that we can share information, and maybe learn.

I don't care what anybody else eats... I'm not trying to convert anyone to any lifestyle. I'm simply sharing information.

And, yes, my opinion. And my opinion is this... I feel much better not eating sugar, flour and starches. My skin is rosier. I sleep better. My mind seems a little more alert. I don't experience stomach aches, bloating, gasiness. Even my cycles have evened out. My husband no longer has to take Zantac or Tums. And, yes, I've lost some weight. I no longer experience terrible cravings. Used to be, I could finish a meal and be hungry, literally HUNGRY, 5 minutes later... that no longer happens. So... you can keep your flour, sugar, potatoes and pasta. And enjoy them. I find I function much better without them. :)

Hey... I used to believe whole-heartedly in the food pyramid. I believed that lowering fat intake would keep me from gaining weight. I believed that a big plate of low-fat pasta was healthy. I now believe I may have been mistaken. And I certainly believe it's my right, and my DUTY to question the low-fat mindset.

Originally posted by dizneegirl
So... you can keep your flour, sugar, potatoes and pasta. And enjoy them. I find I function much better without them. :)

Dizneegirl,
I agree with many of the points you have made! I do want to add, though, that I will gladly take those breads, pastas, and potatoes off of your hands! Those are staples in my diet, LOL- especially cereals and pasta. I'd be lost without them! When I changed the way I was eating, I swore there were a few things I would never give up and go without, and those are:

Breads, cereals, and pastas,
And condiments! I refuse to eat a plain turley sandwich for lunch! Pass me the mustard and Miracle Whip Light, though, and I'm a happy camper! :jester:

My experience, for what it is worth... and I do NOT advocate the Atkins approach...

October 23, 2002 I eliminated dairy, eggs, butter, red meat, refined sugars and chicken from my diet and ADDED soy, vegetables, whole grains, fruits and legumes to my diet. I watch my fat (don't eliminate) and watch my intake. The fats I eat are Olive Oil, nuts and avocadoes... I also stopped binging at night.

Result... I found yummy food (hummus, guacamole, boca burgers, raspberries, blueberries)... and lost 34 lbs.

I take 1000 mg of Ca, 400 mg of Mg, 1000 mg of Vit C each day. And drink TONS of water... no soda at all.

Why don't I advocate the Atkins approach? Because SOME people use it as way to eat steak, butter, eggs, cream... all foods that are not good for your heart. I tend to have a hard time believing that a steak is better for you than a banana. Call me crazy.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Karen

Good luck to all.

Congrats on the weight loss!

I'm moving this post over to the WISH board for you. Keep up the good work.

I have a successful Atkins story to tell, I have tried every diet known to man, and so far none of them worked. I never felt satisfied on any diet. I was always wanting to eat, never felt like I was full. I usually could take of 5 or 10 pounds, but I was a witch to live with during the diet.
Then, I just happened to stumble onto the Atkins plan...
:D I figured, hey, it's only two weeks, I can try it. I started the WOE July 7, 2002, and never looked back. I have lost almost 40 pounds, have gone to a size 20 pants from a 26 and have never felt better. My doctor has checked all my bodily functions, and has declared me healthy...:D :D :D

I never have cravings anymore, and I eat very well.

A typical days meals are as follows:

Breakfast: 3 slices bacon, and either 1 egg, or a slice of low carb whole wheat bread.

Lunch: 3 to 4 ounces of meat or fish with 2 cups salad. I usually use regular ranch dressing on my salad.

Dinner: 4-5 ounces of meat with either a cup of salad, or two cups veggies such as green beans, broccolli, cauliflower, or cabbage.

For a snack I have a handful of nuts, or a half a cup of frozen blueberries with some cream and Splenda. I drink tea with artificial sweetener, and I have an occasional cup of coffee. Once in a while, I buy a SF Russell Stovers chocolate caramel candy and indulge. If I'm feeling really daring, I have a crisp Granny Smith apple....life is good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter