• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post Your Cozumel Questions Here

Coz_Minigolf_Sally

<font color=teal>They wear more than loincloths, b
Just wanted to introduce myself to this very informative board. My name is Sally and I am a five year resident of Cozumel. I contribute regularly to a number of boards on the internet and wanted to add this one to my list.

Please feel free to post any Cozumel questions here and I will do my best to answer them. Please keep in mind that I am not a tourist and haven't traveled to Cozumel on a cruiseship. I am familiar with many of the activities in Cozumel, but may not be particularly knowledgeable about your ship's excursions.

With that said, welcome (in advance) to Cozumel!

Minigolf Sally
Cozumel Putting Course

hi sally.we were thinking about going to either mr sanchos beach or playa del sol.we have a 8 and 2 5 year olds going and we were looking to see what was better for the kids.and how much for 4 adults and 4 kids to take a taxi or van from the port.

Hi, Sally.

I don't have any questions, but I want to welcome you to the DIS Boards. I'm not sure who introduced you to this board, but I'd like to thank whoever did so. We've heard for some time about how active and helpful you've been on some other boards, so we look forward to your sharing your expertise here.

Thanks so much for offering your advice...the timing is perfect. I am scheduling excursions today:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

The kids would like to do the dolphin swim. (DD12, DS9, DD5, DS3)
I was planning on using Dolphin Discovery. Any thoughts?:D

Betsy

We met you last month (I was the one who thought your dog was a saluki) We were the family who got taken by that awful cabbie, thanks for pointing out to us how to walk back-the walk brought us by a shop where we got our son a beautiful carved mask for his collection. We loved your spot-especially the bananna trees, now that is something we would never encounter back home-DS could not believe they really grow like that! Great course and lots of fun-ps the sangria was good too! Ann

We sure are glad to have your visit us here. I do believe that we will be visiting your course soon! From the web-site it sure is beautiful!!!

Looks like Mini=Golf at its best!

Sally,
We are a group of 9 with 2 senior citizens. We would like to see the new light house and mini golf and do some shopping. Is your mini golf walking distance from the cruise ships? What is the best way for us to get around on the island.
Thanks
Bev

Skip: I personally prefer Mr. Sancho's over Playa Sol as there is no entrance fee. Also I hear that the food is better. Neither beach will have much in the way of snorkelling. A white, sandy beach (as both of these are) pretty much guarantees a dull undersea life.

Taxi fares from Punta Langosta Pier to:

Chankanaab $10
Playa Sol $15
Mr Sancho's $15
Nachi Cocom $15
San Francisco Beach $15
Downtown $5 (this is about 4 blocks, an easy walk)

This is for four passengers. Vans will always cost you the price of two taxis plus $2, so it will always be less expensive to take 2 taxis. The reason for this is that when you request a van, the van jumps to the front of the line, bypassing all the taxis that have been waiting for passengers. To encourage passengers to take the next taxi in line, or the next two taxis in this case, they charge you more for a van. The only advantage to the van is that a group of eight can travel together, instead of waving back and forth from one cab to the other.

Betsy: The Dolphin Discovery experience is a "once in a lifetime", unless of course you choose to do it twice! The younger children may be too young to participate, but they can watch from the "balcony". I have personally enjoyed the Encounter (which is less than the Swim) and the Scuba Dive, as I am a certified diver. Both were exceptional experiences. The dolphins at the Cozumel facility are very well cared for. They are fed fish flown in from Canada, daily vitamins and get very regular veterinary care. That said, I will point out that dolphin programs are not supported by the Humane Society of the United States, and if you choose to look at their website, you may come away with mixed feelings:

http://www.hsus.org/ace/11737

Everyone else: Thank you so much for the warm welcome to this board. I look forward to helping you have the very best time in Cozumel, my beautiful island home of five years.

Minigolf Sally
Cozumel Putting Course

Bev: I assume you are interested in the new lighthouse that was completed last year. It will be about a $10 cab ride south from the Punta Langosta pier, where the Magic docks. That's for four passengers. You might be able to convince a cab to take five, although they are only insured for 4 (plus the driver).

The minigolf is a pleasant walk from the pier. Walk north, which means the ocean is on your left, about 4 blocks until you come to a HUGE flagpole flanked by two bronze eagles that are about 6 feet tall. Turn your back to the ocean and walk directly inland 3 blocks. They is plenty of shopping along this route, where you can stop, browse and buy!

If you choose to take a cab, expect to pay $5-6. Tell the driver you want the "MINIGOLF" or "GOLFITO", the local name for the course. Any deviation from those two words will not be understood. Just in case, our address is Calle 1 and 15 Avenida. (1st Street and 15th Avenue). If the cab driver tells you we are closed, don't believe them. Sometimes they are more interested in taking you to a destination that offers them a kickback. Sad, isn't it?

Hope to see you soon!

Minigolf Sally
Cozumel Putting Course

Our family (which includes a 6 and 8 year old) has never been to Cozumel. I'd like for them to get a feel for the city. We're considering taking an excursion which involves a Catamaran ride, snorkeling, and a visit to the beach. Is this something you'd suggest or would it be better to just walk around somewhere? What do you suggest a first time visitor do?

Hi Sally. I've seen you on other boards where I only lurk. Glad you are here; now I can ask my question. If we go to play after dark, how safe is the walk from the pier? --Kris

Welcome Sally! glad you're here.
We plan on playing Minigolf when we take our July cruise, what time in the evening do you think it will start to cool down a bit,I don't do Hot Hot Hot particularly well unless I'm a few steps from a plunge into the water! Also as we decide what beach to enjoy(we have 3 kiddos 13,12,and 4) I was wondering about San Francisco beach, but I can't find much info on it,how does it compare to Playa Sol or Mr Sanchos? We may also want to rent a jet ski/waverunner,any idea how much these rent for ballpark?and last of all(for now:D )we plan to get off the ship and head right to one of the beaches I mentioned above for a few hours, then to Dolphin Discovery where we have the swim booked for 3:30 and we will then snorkel,and enjoy the facilities at Chankanaab for a few hours,and finally the not to be missed Minigolf at your place.Am I trying to pack in too much do you think? I am also Interested in the beach horseback ride and the ATV tour,but hey that's why we'll just have to come back again sometime!Thanks for any help/info you can provide:teeth:

Hi Sally, welcome!

We will be on the Feb. 15, 03 Magic. My husband, 3 boys (13, 12 and 6) and I, along with a few friends will be spending part of the day at Mr. Sancho's. Any suggestions on what to do in the late afternoon or early evening? The children in our group range from 5 to 15. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

kpgclark: I would suggest you start with a ride through town in a horse drawn carriage. They run about $20 for 40 minutes. Ask the driver to take you a bit off the beaten track so that you'll get a taste of the real Cozumel. Once you've been around town, you can decide whether you want to beach, shop, perhaps enjoy a round of fine miniature golf or all of the above!

Kris: Excellent question! Cozumel will be the safest port of your cruise. I personally walk the streets by myself after midnight without a hint of trepidation. I am 5 feet tall, 95 pounds and not at all bad looking. The fact that it is SO safe here is one of the major reasons for our move here.

Hope that helps, and that we see you soon!

Minigolf Sally
Cozumel Putting Course

more advice needed:
We are 5 adults and 2 children ages 6 yrs and 1 yr. We had tentatively planned to go to Chankanaab, swim, snorkel, see the sea lion show, then back to town to shop, maybe mini golf. With 2 small kids the Carlos and Charley's scene obviously won't be for us! Can you make some suggestions?

Hi Sally.....you offered me great advice on the cruisecritic board...I'm a regular here and very glad that you have also decided to help...with advice here....

I just returned from Cozumel but unfortunately didn't have a chance to minigolf....but hopefully someday I will get there...

We rented a jeep for the day...5 adults...it was wonderful....our favorite beach was Chen Rio.....It served food, bathrooms, and beautiful beach....It was small and quaint.....

Hi Sally! Welcome to the DIS boards! Your answers on the Cruise Critic board have really helped me plan our upcoming trip! It's nice to see you here!

Welcome to the DIS Sally :) Where can I get the best lobster in Cozumel. I discovered last October in Cancun that I love caribbean lobster.

Would Mr. Sanchos beach be good for a 9 & 6 year old?

bothofus...I heard from someone else that even though it may be hot, the mini golf area is not that bad due to the Forest Rain type atomsphere...misty I guess. Hope that's right Sally..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter