Post your hilariously bad Disney tips/advice!

The worst advice (I think) I've heard is to use the single rider line to get more done. The point of going on vacation with my family is to spend time with my family. Yeah, we could knock more states off our effort to visit all 50 if did Nebraska while my wife was in Kansas, but the point is to do it together. Why do test track at all if you aren't going to do it together? Or, why go on vacation together at all?

That's what my DH thought about UO before we went there for the first time. He didn't want to go because the food at WDW is so good.

When I mentioned that they had The Palm and some of Emeril's restaurants, he opened up to the idea. But, he also didn't want to go to Maine the first time we went... also because of the restaurant situation (as he perceived it). After he went the first time, we went 9 years in a row.

So, guess what the most important thing on any vacation is to my DH? lol

LOL...I had it the other way around. That first trip in 2003 when I was 20 I knew UO had good food because I was a big emeril fan. We actually made reservations and ate there! Why didn’t I think Disney would be on the same level?

The worst advice (I think) I've heard is to use the single rider line to get more done. The point of going on vacation with my family is to spend time with my family. Yeah, we could knock more states off our effort to visit all 50 if did Nebraska while my wife was in Kansas, but the point is to do it together. Why do test track at all if you aren't going to do it together? Or, why go on vacation together at all?
Some people do this in hopes they'll still be able to sit together. It's not a guarantee but you'll find at times parties are able to sit in the same ride vehicle. It's a gamble but the CMs do it sometimes, either because that fills the gap or because they aren't so worried about separating parties. At least no one can go in saying they are supposed to sit together. Disney does tell them parties will be split up.

Depends on touring style, ages, etc. I truly see your point though! A family vacation means just that, spending time together.

I understand your point to a degree, and believe it's very important for our family to spend quality time together on vacation. But I don't think it means you don't care about your family or it's a waste of vacation time because you're separated on one ride during the course of an entire trip. I would agree with you if someone was riding single rider on everything and doing hardly any attractions with their family, but that's certainly not the case at Disney. I can only think of three rides that have single rider lines so it would be maybe a maximum of one ride in a park that you might choose to ride separately.

If you are limited on time and it's either ride single rider or you don't get to ride at all that trip, I can see why people would choose to do single rider rather than missing out. We typically use single rider if my kids want to ride again after we've already done the ride together.

Your "why go on vacation together at all" is a bit of a stretch. We are still touring the park and waiting in line together. We are just separated for maybe two minutes (less time than it takes to use the bathroom). I agree that it's not the same experience, and I would not choose to do single rider if that was the first or only time we would be able to ride that attraction because I would prefer to enjoy the experience with them but if it's the 50th time we've been on Test Track it's not really a big deal to ride with a stranger.

Some people do this in hopes they'll still be able to sit together. It's not a guarantee but you'll find at times parties are able to sit in the same ride vehicle. It's a gamble but the CMs do it sometimes, either because that fills the gap or because they aren't so worried about separating parties. At least no one can go in saying they are supposed to sit together. Disney does tell them parties will be split up.

This happens often on Test Track because of the seating layout. If there's a family of four, they usually do two in front, two in back and then take a single rider for each row. As the two single riders, yes, you're still in the same car, but I personally wouldn't consider that riding "with" my family member if we are in two separate rows as single riders.

Very rarely on Everest and RnRollercoaster you may sit together. The point of the single rider lines there are to fill in the gaps with odd parties, so you usually always sit with a family with an odd number. But sometimes they are calling out for a party of two and no one answers so they'll take two single riders instead.

Well, I think it depends. I think it's great to do the ride together, get that photo, etc. but if you have some kids who want to ride it again and again, the SR line can be very handy. As Homer and Marge said at Itchy & Scratchy Land after a log ride that the kids loved but was a bit tough on the parents' backs:

Marge: "You know, part of spending time together as a family is spending time apart as individuals."
Homer: "Parent's Island?" (a spoof of Pleasure Island)
Marge: "Yuh-huh!"

We find single rider pretty fun, especially if your new seat-mates will talk to you. Then we come back together as a family and look at our ride photos. One time older DD rode Test Track with 5 very dark skinned teenage boys. DD looks more like Merida. The photo was pretty neat.

Back to the topic of bad advice for the spirit of the thread! I remember as a kid, I thought Epcot was *just* the golf ball, and that inside it were tables with information about different countries :confused3

And why go to WDW when I could just go to our local amusement park?

They flying to Orlando 180 days early? ;)

That is a true story!!! The parents sitting next to me had their phones out and they were talking about getting their Fast passes and booking the Princess Castle breakfast!

That is a true story!!! The parents sitting next to me had their phones out and they were talking about getting their Fast passes and booking the Princess Castle breakfast!

Yikes! Well, I mean, it's not impossible to get that breakfast, but they'd need to be pretty lucky!

As an adult I’ve had meltdowns there 😂

I had a mini meltdown a few trips ago. I was 5 months pregnant which may have played into it a bit.

My parents and a niece came with us. I did ALL the planning as far as FP's, itinerary, etc. Which theoretically is fine, I actually like that. But, everyone else decided to come about 30 days in advance so it was a bit of a scramble. Keep in mind none of us are Disney novices. We have all had multiplr trips so it's not like these things were unexpected.

While there DD11 (14 now) complained daily about the heat, crowds, and lines. My dad complained an out the heat, crowds, lines, and how expensive everything was. My mom complained about the heat, the crowds, the lines, how expensive everything was, MK closing early for MNSSHP, and my dad. During our one evening at MK my dad refused to go at all, we missed all our FP's because nobody would get ready to leave, DD11 and my mom left without doing anything because they didn't want to deal with the crowds, and despite making several suggestions DD7 didn't want to do anything. By the fourth rejected suggestion I just lost it. I threw my hands in the air, turned around, and just speed walked my way back to the bus crying. After waiting for my bus for a few minutes I calmed down a bit and decided not to let them ruin my evening so I went back in with nothing but my magic band and DS2 and I went on all my favorite rides just the 2 of us. We stayed out until about 1AM enjoying extra magic hours. It was glorious.

I had a mini meltdown a few trips ago. I was 5 months pregnant which may have played into it a bit.

My parents and a niece came with us. I did ALL the planning as far as FP's, itinerary, etc. Which theoretically is fine, I actually like that. But, everyone else decided to come about 30 days in advance so it was a bit of a scramble. Keep in mind none of us are Disney novices. We have all had multiplr trips so it's not like these things were unexpected.

While there DD11 (14 now) complained daily about the heat, crowds, and lines. My dad complained an out the heat, crowds, lines, and how expensive everything was. My mom complained about the heat, the crowds, the lines, how expensive everything was, MK closing early for MNSSHP, and my dad. During our one evening at MK my dad refused to go at all, we missed all our FP's because nobody would get ready to leave, DD11 and my mom left without doing anything because they didn't want to deal with the crowds, and despite making several suggestions DD7 didn't want to do anything. By the fourth rejected suggestion I just lost it. I threw my hands in the air, turned around, and just speed walked my way back to the bus crying. After waiting for my bus for a few minutes I calmed down a bit and decided not to let them ruin my evening so I went back in with nothing but my magic band and DS2 and I went on all my favorite rides just the 2 of us. We stayed out until about 1AM enjoying extra magic hours. It was glorious.
That's awesome!

One trip when my son was about 11, I wanted to see the Beauty and the Beast show. I had never seen it. He fussed about not wanting to see it. I laid him low. Told him I spent months planning and spent all this money, and felt it was very rude not wanting to do one thing I wanted to do. He got the message and never complained again. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter