Posting for a Friend who left kids passports at home. Can they get on

Situation as a friend of ours is sailing on Fantasy tomorrow and first time cruiser . Already in Florida. Parents and one kid have their passport however two kids who are both under 15 passports were left at home as they were making copies. Documents were uploaded to the app at check in. They have a copy of birth certificate, Global Entry cards and copy of passports. Other than the risk of having to fly from a foreign airport in the case of emergency will they have an issue? They are trying to get them overnighted but just in case what are your thoughts?

If memory serves me right, they should be ok. We cruised out of New Orleans last July and our son (17 at the time) didn’t have a passport, only birth certificate.

From the DCL website:

Guests without proper documentation will be denied boarding. When dropping off luggage upon arrival, please keep all documents in your possession to present during check-in at the terminal.

US Citizens (Including Children)

• Original valid US Passport
  • Original valid US Passport Card
  • Original valid Trusted Traveler Card (NEXUS, FAST)
OR

• Original or copy of their state-issued birth certificate AND a physical Government-issued photo ID (digital/mobile state-issued IDs are not acceptable to sail)
    1. Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable
    2. Hospital-issued birth certificates are not acceptable
  • Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State AND a physical Government-issued photo ID (digital/mobile state-issued IDs are not acceptable to sail)
  • Original Certificate of Naturalization issued by US Citizenship and Immigration Services AND a physical Government-issued photo ID (digital/mobile state-issued IDs are not acceptable to sail)
Children 15 years of age and younger are required to present one of the documents listed above, but do not need to present a Government-issued photo ID.

Social Security Cards and Global Entry are not acceptable proof of US citizenship for purposes of traveling outside of the US

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/guest-services/passport-travel-documentation/

Had that happen to our daughter and they accepted pictures of the birth certificates on her phone. I know, crazy, but it worked for them. They can't accept photos of Passports however.

Looks like they need the originals' not photocopies (not sure what gov't issued ID an under 15 would have). Odd that the Global entry doesn't count
No, it says original or copy of birth certificate. I have read a few stories of people who were saved in situations like this by having the copy of the birth certificate. Having the passport in hand would of course be much preferable.

Odd that the Global entry doesn't count
Is Global Entry not part of the Trusted Traveller program, the same as Nexus? We were able to use our Nexus cards to board the ship though officials didn't like it when we disembarked and insisted on our passports. I was under the impression that Nexus could also be used to re-enter, but we're Canadian, not US citizens, so I don't know if that was the issue or they just don't like it. I wasn't going to argue with them, plus we had our passports anyway.

EDIT: I see someone has posted info from the Disney site that Global Entry isn't acceptable - I guess it's considered to be different than Nexus.

No, it says original or copy of birth certificate. I have read a few stories of people who were saved in situations like this by having the copy of the birth certificate. Having the passport in hand would of course be much preferable.
No, it says:

Original or copy of their state-issued birth certificate AND a physical Government-issued photo ID (digital/mobile state-issued IDs are not acceptable to sail)

ETA: Strongly recommend calling DCL, they may Bippity Boppity Boo and make it all work with photocopies

This is the important sentence for this situation. If they have copies of the birth certificates, they will be fine. I have sailed multiple times with my under 15 children with just birth certificates.

Children 15 years of age and younger are required to present one of the documents listed above, but do not need to present a Government-issued photo ID.

This is the important sentence for this situation. If they have copies of the birth certificates, they will be fine. I have sailed multiple times with my under 15 children with just birth certificates.

Thank you. They called and confirmed they would be good. They are still working on getting the passports sent from MD to FLL by the dog sitter

They *should be* ok to get on the ship with copies of the birth certificates.

This scenario happened to us-- I was being 'proactive' and making copies of the passports to leave at home, then left the passports in the copy machine. I discovered this on the DCL bus to the port. Almost got sick.
With a bit of scrambling by family at home, we got copies of birth certificates sent over and were allowed to sail.
Mind you, the border agent when we disembarked at Port Canaveral at the end of the cruise fussed at us for not having our actual passports or certified birth certificate (besides the copy). His words were along the lines of the cruise line pushing the boundary of what is allowed.

Global Entry card is not allowed to be the definitive ID (we had these with us).

Hope everyone gets to sail away as planned. It's an awful feeling to know you forgot the documents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter