Postive side if Facebook

I had one person I went to elementary school with contact me. We chatted a couple times but that's it. I contacted my best friend from growing up that I hadn't talked to for 20 - 25 years. Same thing we chatted a couple times but we didn't rekindle the friendship.

I've reconnected with a couple people I hung out with in high school. We never really talk, just occasionally comment on each other's posts.

Yes! I used to live in Georgia back in 1989-1990. My best friend from high school there reached out to me years ago and we've been connected since. It's so nice to have someone from that time as a friend now, especially since we moved around so much back then.

Having been a military brat and married to a career military member (now retired), it allowed me to reconnect to a gazillion people from all the places we have lived. But I recently deleted it completely as all of the political drama was too much. I enjoy most of the people on the Dis and staying in the bubble more than FB :)

I discovered over the years that for the most part, I liked my past staying there lol!

Having been a military brat and married to a career military member (now retired), it allowed me to reconnect to a gazillion people from all the places we have lived. But I recently deleted it completely as all of the political drama was too much. I enjoy most of the people on the Dis and staying in the bubble more than FB :)

I discovered over the years that for the most part, I liked my past staying there lol!
::yes:: Totally agree. I've never once "accidentally" drifted apart from somebody I really care about. If it was important to me to be in touch with someone, I already would be - no FB search required.

Long lost step son contacted me thru FB around 4 years ago. Glad that he did as he reunited with his dad & got to know his half brothers & sisters before he developed a cancer that took his life a couple years later.
I think that's both the saddest & best FB story I've ever heard. It's great that they got to know each other, before it was too late.

Quite a few from my grade school years and a few former coworkers that moved across the country. Facebook is what you make of it, good or bad.

A second cousin of mine started a FB group for descendants of our common great-grandparents. We've been able to share a lot of stories and genealogical information.

Certainly found a lot of online gaming friends, old school friends, distant relatives and such. But, for me during the bad outbreak of tornadoes in April of 2011, it really showed its best use to me. We were able
to keep up with people all over the state that day. Both friends and relatives could check in there and keep
us all updated on the tornadoes.

I've been on facebook for 10 years now. At first, I was thrilled to reconnect with so many people from my childhood back 10 years ago. Well, during the past year, I reached out to five of my childhood and teenage friends to see if they'd like to chat on the phone as I would LOVE to hear the warmth of their voices and listen to the smiles and talk about anything, etc. Well, all five turned me down. I NEVER heard back! I offered my number,etc. I can't tell you how hurt I was! Did this happen to anyone else?

I've been on facebook for 10 years now. At first, I was thrilled to reconnect with so many people from my childhood back 10 years ago. Well, during the past year, I reached out to five of my childhood and teenage friends to see if they'd like to chat on the phone as I would LOVE to hear the warmth of their voices and listen to the smiles and talk about anything, etc. Well, all five turned me down. I NEVER heard back! I offered my number,etc. I can't tell you how hurt I was! Did this happen to anyone else?

So sorry I am not a fan 9f chatting on the phone I would rather text

I would probably feel too awkward to try having a phone conversation with someone I hadn't seen in years too. Try not to take it personally.

I do not like to talk on the phone. The entire idea makes me anxious. I wouldn’t take it personally. My friends know that if I am calling them it’s an emergency.

Might be all my years answering phones for work, but I just really hate it now.

My DH’s half sister found him through FB a few years ago. She grew up and lived in another country (their dad was in the military and she was from his first marriage). It was a bit of a surreal experience to find out she existed! We started communicating through Facebook Messenger with her and her family and developed a special relationship. After getting to know one another that way for a couple of years we decided to travel to meet them. It was a wonderful experience and we went back a year and a half later to see them again. We were absolutely heartbroken when she passed away unexpectedly a year and half ago. We are incredibly thankful that we had the opportunity for DH and her to meet - They had so much in common, down to similar careers. They both looked so much alike too! (DH looks nothing like half siblings from their mom’s first marriage that he grew up with.) We anxiously await when it will be safe to travel again to make another trip to see our BIL and nieces

Last edited:
I've had almost all positive FB experiences since joining in 2009. Reconnecting with some old high school friends, sharing some family pictures, etc. I ignore any and all political nonsense when I can (HIDE or unfriend is easy to do,) plus have really enjoyed posts by people I barely knew in the past ,but sure enjoy their FB posts. Also found my best friend from grade school. She moved to Canada, in 4th grade. Was cool to reconnect. Joined several fun groups. I don't post a lot of personal stuff, and dont' comment a lot in groups on FB. Even been through the Farmville phase back in the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter