POTC: what's with the red head?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it amazing that people are worried about the auction scene being politically incorrect and a drunk pirate animatronic which is modeled after an actor that could be the poster child for politically incorrect doesn't bother them

Misogynist? Pirates? WHAAA??! Someone call for help I am being triggered.

This is nothing but the PC swooping through a classic ride for a needless update. Might as well show them sprinkling fairy dust than the town burning in the background.

Yea dude. Like I said I don't think it NEEDS the change but I'm not going to throw a fit because its getting one. Like why are people fighting to see a scene like that just because its a classic?

Yea dude. Like I said I don't think it NEEDS the change but I'm not going to throw a fit because its getting one. Like why are people fighting to see a scene like that just because its a classic?
You gotta fight for something.

People go to Disney to be entertained by stories, rides, attractions and characters that people have grown up with over the last 80+ years. When something threatens to change any part of these it is cause for concern. Some, it makes sense, and others not so much. This is a prime example of something that doesn't need changing for being offensive, inaccurate, or broken down. Yet once again a beloved ride is being "corrected" just because.

You might not have an attachment to it, which is wonderful for you. I dont have attachments to the dumbo ride, but for those that I do, I am going to take every opportunity to say "***?"

I literally can't imagine seeing the news about this change and spending two seconds getting outraged about it. It's one scene in one ride at one theme park.

There's plenty else going on in the world that's deserving of outrage, not this.

Guess I'm the only one who is indifferent to the new change.
I'm pretty indifferent as well. Switching up that one element of the ride isn't going to be the end of the world for me. The look and feel of the ride will stay the same. The song will stay the same. For me it's the environment as a whole that makes that ride what it is.

Now if they start messing with Space Mountain, that's a whole other issue.

giphy.gif

*Such* a great idea to drag out this dead horse since the other thread got locked.

You gotta fight for something.

People go to Disney to be entertained by stories, rides, attractions and characters that people have grown up with over the last 80+ years. When something threatens to change any part of these it is cause for concern. Some, it makes sense, and others not so much. This is a prime example of something that doesn't need changing for being offensive, inaccurate, or broken down. Yet once again a beloved ride is being "corrected" just because.

You might not have an attachment to it, which is wonderful for you. I dont have attachments to the dumbo ride, but for those that I do, I am going to take every opportunity to say "***?"

This is actually one of my favorite rides in all of MK and Disneyland so I do have a big attachment to it. Its a must do every time I go. For me I'm happy our red head is still going to be in the ride. I just don't think the change warrants the outrage its getting.

This is actually one of my favorite rides in all of MK and Disneyland so I do have a big attachment to it. Its a must do every time I go. For me I'm happy our red head is still going to be in the ride. I just don't think the change warrants the outrage its getting.
It doesn't. I'm cool with the next 80+ years of children growing up with the red-headed loot-stealing lady pirate instead of a wench auction with chains & tears. :thumbsup2

Just curious, how many of those "outraged" by this were upset when they did the Jungle Cruise renovation and removed the line where the headhunters yell "I love Disco!"? Changes happen, often for no reason.

Why? No one is getting political or getting nasty.

Same reason the other thread got closed. When something on a ride gets changed some people fight that it shouldn't be changed while others fight it should be changed, and no opinions are right to some other than their own.

Arguing on this topic is only a matter of time.

My view is that if they want to change this scene, then close the ride down and do a complete overhaul. The boat scene after the drop could be improved and made bigger, fix/bring back the underwater mermaids, upgrade some of the animatronics, they could even add some cool projections like the Pirates show at HS had. This ride has been fine the way it is for years and years with everyone fine with it, but now some people hear it's changing and act like the scene is an outrage. Stupid to close it for an extended time just to change this scene and not to a more extensive upgrade/refurb

Really makes me sorta sad. I love the Redhead and now we won't ever get to see her again. And I wish I would have bought the Redhead Minnie last time I was there.

Really makes me sorta sad. I love the Redhead and now we won't ever get to see her again. And I wish I would have bought the Redhead Minnie last time I was there.
The Redhead is still going to be in the ride, except now she's going to be a pirate running the auction (and it won't be a human auction).

Ummm not exactly the same... I love the Redhead not some stupid politically correct scene that completely dilutes the whole premise of the story.

Ahh ok sorry I misunderstood when you said "I love the Redhead and now we won't ever get to see her again", what you meant was "I like the scene where women are sold as slaves". My mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter