Potty Training and WDW

Thanks all for the replies, the baby care toilets sound good, are there many of these. The auto flush would confuse me the first time haha !!!

Are there many baby centre toilets? We'll probably use pull ups and nappies for the trip on this advice. Do they stock a load in the shops or should we pack enough in luggage ahead of going out?

I had diapers delivered by amazon or someone both times i went. They'll have them in the hotel gift shops, but they'll be small amounts and pricey.

Thanks all for the replies, the baby care toilets sound good, are there many of these. The auto flush would confuse me the first time haha !!!

Are there many baby centre toilets? We'll probably use pull ups and nappies for the trip on this advice. Do they stock a load in the shops or should we pack enough in luggage ahead of going out?
There is one baby care center per park. Unless you are already nearby, it would be an excessive waste of time and walking to try to get to them each time your child needs to use the toilet.

Disney does sell diapers in the resorts and you can purchase either individual or very small packs (I cannot remember which) in the parks but you are going to pay more for them. Not Disney crazy prices, but still more than you would pay at a regular store. If you can get grocery delivery or access to a local store, I would do that if you do not want to have to pack a lot of extras.

I am a local, so we went to Disney often after my son was potty-trained. We used the three-day method and it worked really well for him. Disney was the perfect place for outings because there were a lot of bathrooms so we never had to walk far. He can go a long time without needing to pee, so I would have him go to the bathroom whenever I needed to go or right before we went on a ride.

Get post-it notes or use your hand to cover the flush sensor. My kid didn't care about the noise at first, but a super loud gas station toilet traumatized him and now he always has to cover his ears.

There is one baby care center per park. Unless you are already nearby, it would be an excessive waste of time and walking to try to get to them each time your child needs to use the toilet.

Disney does sell diapers in the resorts and you can purchase either individual or very small packs (I cannot remember which) in the parks but you are going to pay more for them. Not Disney crazy prices, but still more than you would pay at a regular store. If you can get grocery delivery or access to a local store, I would do that if you do not want to have to pack a lot of extras.
Thank you, I think we'll buy out there then and pack accordingly for the days out! Thank you! What are good american brands? We usually buy store own brand here in the UK?

Since you haven’t had much success, I think , use pull ups but still ask if they have to go. I can’t imagine walking along and you get the 30 seconds warning that they have to go. You have to get to a bathroom and then maybe have to wait in-line. Without the pull ups , you may need to bring three or four changes of clothes into park with You.

So - you do also have 6 weeks still to make a lot of progress on potty training! I'd definitely recommend trying your best in the next 6 weeks to get as far along as you can. See where you are at. Maybe you can start the day without a pull-up, for example, and if all is great - woo hoo!. If there's a accident - have the change of clothes and the pull ups for some of the day all ready. Accidents at that age combined with the Disney experience - yup - accidents are gonna happen. But at her age and the time you have before the trip - I think trying to keep it going would be good - especially asking as you pass a restroom or before getting in a long time about going.

I think one of the most common overheard lines I hear from mom's with toddlers at Disney - Do you think you can try to go before we get in this long line? Or - Are you sure you don't have to go?

Thank you, yeah we're being realistic whilst definitely keeping going, not much has changed since I made the post and it's getting closer but we'll keep trying until the days before we travel

Thank you, I think we'll buy out there then and pack accordingly for the days out! Thank you! What are good american brands? We usually buy store own brand here in the UK?

They're all good, everyone just has their own wacky preferences unless there's a specific need (sensitive skin). We usually just use the Target brand for diapers, but pull-ups we use the pull-up brand. Specifically the ones with Anna and Elsa on the box.

If I can't get target brand diapers, we'll use Huggies or Pampers Baby Dry.

We brought my son and niece when they were both 2.5 and potty training . My son did very well(no accidents and frequent bathroom visits). My niece-not so much, so it really depends on the kid

We had a horrible time potty training our daughter. She hates toilets (she feels they are not clean). She also is scared to death of the automatic flush. We went to Disney when she was 4. She would hold it all day until she couldn't anymore before we left. She refused to use the bathrooms at Disney because of the automatic flush. At the end of our first day we were told about the baby care area (this was our first trip). They do not have automatic flushes except for the one in EPCOT. The only one we found in EPCOT to not be automatic was inside Akershus. When ever she said she had to go we would run to the front of the park to the baby care center. It was much nicer at Hollywood Studios since it is such a small park. It was also nice because they have the little toilets and that helped a lot too.

Also, some cast members and EPCOT gave us a ton of Mickey stickers to use to put over the sensor. They were the ones to tell me about this. They were the perfect size. They gave me so many that we used them for a long time after getting home. Then when we went back when she was 6 we were able to get more.

We're in the same position. I usually wait to potty train my kids until they're older. But, we might be doing a cruise next year, and I want the youngest to be potty trained beforehand. So, I'm potty training a 3 year old for the first time.
He's fully trained for pee, but he's only successfully pooped on the toilet once. I'll probably do bare butt with him again some time in November, but poop is just so much easier to "hold" and wait until we put a pull up on him for sleep. He typically wakes up dry, so maybe I'll skip pullups fully for a few days, and see if that gets him working.

We will be bringing and using pull ups. If he regresses, then so be it. Fortunately, the only public toilets he won't use are portapotties, so he should be fine at Disney. We'll just make him try when everyone else does.
Disney doesn't make it easy for kids to have accidents. The toilet stalls are just normal sized, and you'll need to have everything you need with you. Changing tables are there but not in higher numbers, except in the baby care centers. I think they do have changing tables in the mens room with more frequency than much of the rest of the US, but I'm not sure. Most of the bathrooms were fitted a long time ago with only minor updating over the years. The babycare centers are nice, but not particularly convenient. Even when I've gone with nursing children, I only use the baby care centers like once a day.

I won't make it harder on any of us. Heck, the 6 yo is still having almost daily pee accidents, because he doesn't go to the toilet until the pee starts coming out. We did a cross country road trip over the summer, and had to stop for him to pee practically every hour. I'm tempted to put a pull up on him at Disney. The 3 yo at least tells me when he has to go...

If you haven't already, I would make sure you're all comfortable with standing changes. Changing tables tend to be small, and 3 year olds are wiggly. It's just easier to find space to change a standing child than it is to find a place to lay them down.

We're in the same position. I usually wait to potty train my kids until they're older. But, we might be doing a cruise next year, and I want the youngest to be potty trained beforehand. So, I'm potty training a 3 year old for the first time.
He's fully trained for pee, but he's only successfully pooped on the toilet once. I'll probably do bare butt with him again some time in November, but poop is just so much easier to "hold" and wait until we put a pull up on him for sleep. He typically wakes up dry, so maybe I'll skip pullups fully for a few days, and see if that gets him working.

We will be bringing and using pull ups. If he regresses, then so be it. Fortunately, the only public toilets he won't use are portapotties, so he should be fine at Disney. We'll just make him try when everyone else does.
Disney doesn't make it easy for kids to have accidents. The toilet stalls are just normal sized, and you'll need to have everything you need with you. Changing tables are there but not in higher numbers, except in the baby care centers. I think they do have changing tables in the mens room with more frequency than much of the rest of the US, but I'm not sure. Most of the bathrooms were fitted a long time ago with only minor updating over the years. The babycare centers are nice, but not particularly convenient. Even when I've gone with nursing children, I only use the baby care centers like once a day.

I won't make it harder on any of us. Heck, the 6 yo is still having almost daily pee accidents, because he doesn't go to the toilet until the pee starts coming out. We did a cross country road trip over the summer, and had to stop for him to pee practically every hour. I'm tempted to put a pull up on him at Disney. The 3 yo at least tells me when he has to go...

If you haven't already, I would make sure you're all comfortable with standing changes. Changing tables tend to be small, and 3 year olds are wiggly. It's just easier to find space to change a standing child than it is to find a place to lay them down.
Oh gosh, I thought I was the last person to be training at 3, I didn't realise it might still be early!! That sounds incredibly stressful. We've decided to hit pause on potty training full stop as we're all tired out until after the trip now. We had a disastrous weekend for accidents. We'll stick with nappies and try again when we get back, as it sounds like any work we get done may be undone by the trip.

I have no helpful advice but just wanted to say thanks for asking the question! My son is recently 2 and showing strong signs of being ready to toilet train but I've been thinking I want to hold off until we return from Disney in March when he's 2.5. This thread and the parade of things that could go wrong and how scary Disney bathrooms can be to little kids has me firmly convinced to wait :)

I have no helpful advice but just wanted to say thanks for asking the question! My son is recently 2 and showing strong signs of being ready to toilet train but I've been thinking I want to hold off until we return from Disney in March when he's 2.5. This thread and the parade of things that could go wrong and how scary Disney bathrooms can be to little kids has me firmly convinced to wait :)
It was easier to train my 2 1/2 year olds than my 3+ year olds.

When my DD was about 2 1/2 she would only pee in the shower. This was better than diapers although a pain in the neck. One day I asked her what she wanted to use the potty. The reply was the Easter Bunny. I went and got the EB out of the closet and blew it up and handed to her. She used the potty after that. Lucky for me she only needed the bribe once. Ask your DD what she wants.

We are trying to figure out potty training too! Our daughter will be almost 3 when we go, and while she is interested in learning, she fights training so we haven't officially started yet. We will more than likely wait until after our trip (and after she turns 3) to actually push for learning since her personality is most certainly not one that will be comfortable with the noise of a public restroom! Our luck, she will suddenly demand to start using the potty the week of our trip!

Oh gosh, I thought I was the last person to be training at 3, I didn't realise it might still be early!! That sounds incredibly stressful. We've decided to hit pause on potty training full stop as we're all tired out until after the trip now. We had a disastrous weekend for accidents. We'll stick with nappies and try again when we get back, as it sounds like any work we get done may be undone by the trip.
I read recently that the sweet spot is at 18-24 months. But, I've never been bothered by diapers enough to even think about it at that point.

It doesn't really get easier. Kids get more obstinate as they get older. But, you definitely won't be alone with an untrained 3 or 4 year old, and accidents are still pretty much expected at age 5

We are trying to figure out potty training too! Our daughter will be almost 3 when we go, and while she is interested in learning, she fights training so we haven't officially started yet. We will more than likely wait until after our trip (and after she turns 3) to actually push for learning since her personality is most certainly not one that will be comfortable with the noise of a public restroom! Our luck, she will suddenly demand to start using the potty the week of our trip!
I know 3 seemed like the perfect age to take her, but completely missed the trick that we'd still maybe be dealing we've these development steps having planned it so long ago.

We had a horrible time potty training our daughter. She hates toilets (she feels they are not clean). She also is scared to death of the automatic flush. We went to Disney when she was 4. She would hold it all day until she couldn't anymore before we left. She refused to use the bathrooms at Disney because of the automatic flush. At the end of our first day we were told about the baby care area (this was our first trip). They do not have automatic flushes except for the one in EPCOT. The only one we found in EPCOT to not be automatic was inside Akershus. When ever she said she had to go we would run to the front of the park to the baby care center. It was much nicer at Hollywood Studios since it is such a small park. It was also nice because they have the little toilets and that helped a lot too.

Also, some cast members and EPCOT gave us a ton of Mickey stickers to use to put over the sensor. They were the ones to tell me about this. They were the perfect size. They gave me so many that we used them for a long time after getting home. Then when we went back when she was 6 we were able to get more.

I have read the advice to bring post-it notes to put over the toilet sensors. My kids are 18 & 22 so I don't need this trick, but I've filed it away for some future purpose. :)

Also know that if you make progress while on vacation she may jump backwards when you get back. We’ve been encouraging using the toilet since she first showed interest and while we’ve had times where it’s been going well, any time it’s pushed it’s backslid (school pushed WAY too hard when I told them not to 🫠). We decided the extra stress wasn’t worth it on vacation and did diapers but offered the toilet. Turns out she was freaked out by the hard public changing tables so only wanted to use the toilet, we did standing changes and didn’t stress about making it to the potty but she stayed dry for the most part. When we got home I had hoped to capitalize but she completely refused to use the toilet, kept asking to go back to Disney and her hotel 😅.

After about a month and a half we are finally back to being willing to use the toilet again. Kids get there when they get there, so I would just go with diapers and see what happens. With everything else being different and all the fun that brings with toddlers, a pause may be easiest for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter