• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Power chair on Disneys HH beach

LindaDVC

DIS Veteran
We love Disney's HH island however the w/c view is not very good. Once you cross the soft sanddune the beach is hard packed and you can ride bikes etc easily on it.

They have a beach chair BUT dh never will use it since manual.

So here is my plan-- we have an old power chair so are putting the largest tires possible on it. Then I plan to bring mats to lay on the dune to help cross onto the hard packed sand.

Once over the dune I hope he will have beach access with power!

I would not attempt this with his good new chair but willing to with his old chair!

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried this and if any other suggestions are in order!

Linda ( HH in less than a week)
:Pinkbounc

Sounds like a good concept. I wonder if you should add a small rake to your equipment list in case there are any really high or low spots.
I'll be interested in learning how it works.

Linda, I see that your OT brain is working overtime again:)!! I will try to rev up my PTA brain.....
I was wondering about using 2 sections of wood board, approx 28" wide x 36" long... attach a soft carry handle on them to make it easier to carry... It will be time consuming, depending on how long the soft sand strand extends. However, it would be grand to get Dan on the beach!! YOU GO GIRL!!

Joan, I think you hit on what I was thinking might not work in the idea. There was something, but I couldn't put my finger on it.
The mats might not work if they are soft. They would not distribute the weight of the wheelchair on the soft, unpacked sand. Something hard like wood, would. i wonder if there is anything in an automotive store that would help -I think I've seen things meant to carry in your car and slip under the wheels to give traction in snow or mud. Or I wonder if somthing like dense foam would work. I'm thinking of the kind they make flat floats for the pool or kneeling pads for gardening.

We're really interested in how this owrks out. Are you going to do a trial run someplace, Linda? Enquiring minds want to know! ;)

Thanks for all the ideas!
The mats or whatever we bring need to be easy to transport since the fullsize van is getting full! Two power chairs, suitcases, 2 bikes,5 people, service dog with kennel !!!!!
Good thing we didn't buy the minivan!

I was thinking of having Chris (ds) drive over the dune first -- that way if it doesn't work Chris can hop out wheras Dan would have a little trouble!

If only Disney had built the boardwalk that I suggest every visit to HH!

My parents and Chris are flying back here today from Boston and President Bush is also arriving. Will be an interesting afternoon.

Linda

Linda, Good Gosh Girl.. How do you get all of them and that in your van?? The boards I suggested should be able to lay flat on the floor underneath one of the seats or dog's kennel.. Do you tie stuff to the roof rack?
Barry used the boards for me when I went out to the county fairground.( some nasty soft soil out there) They worked well but Dan will just have to go slow.. or you just have to move really fast ;)

Hmm, maybe if we all come up with a really good solution, get a patent, then we can market it and become ZILLIONAIRES~~
:Pinkbounc :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :Pinkbounc

Best wishes,
Joan

On a World of Disney show called Highways,the showed a Car getting unstuck by useing "grandma's old quilts" folded in 1/4's??

On Ground Force, a garden show on BBC America,the used these plastic roll-up tracks made for wheel chair use over grass or gravel. I think they would work for sand,too!

I'll do a Google search andlet you know what I find out!!

Linda,

I note that wisely, you are going to use an old chair.

From experience, I know that sand gets everywhere. I have two camera lenses that were totally wrecked by taking them onto the beach. You may not notice it until you are too late, but there is always fine sand blowing along the beach, and it gets into everywhere. My two lenses were ruined by sand getting into the focus and zoom rings. (I would never take a camera onto the beach that wasn't secured inside a plastic bac.

I imagine sand would find its way inside the moving parts on your chair, such as the motors.

Take Care.

Andrew

We are back and had a wonderful trip!

As for beach access we made it about a third of the way across the dune and decided to start backing up!
We found the tires sinking even with the mats, and the dune kept looking wider!!
At the Marriot (old Hyatt) they built a new ramp . Had we
tried there I think the amount of ground we covered would have gotten us to the hard pack sand! I suggested we try it the next day but Dan said no-- he knew moving the mats and helping move the chair was exhausting .............. he also knew how disapointed I was. He accepts life and doesn't get upset but I wanted him ON the beach so bad!

He suggested that I transfer him to the manual beach chair.
He has only agreed to get in the manual chair once before so I knew he was doing it for my benefit. That chair glides over the dune and pushes easily although difficult to stear!

We waited til 5 when it was low tide and cooler! We brought Ned down to and he was able to watch the service dog swim which is so cute! We ate sandwiches down there too--
He didn't want to make it a daily event but did agree to a yearly event !!! We had a nice time and I was happy!

I will once again advocate that Disney build a board walk that is accessible if not for access then for viewing the ocean! It is hard to see it from the beach house. Also I watch people dragging bikes and carriages over the dune and a board walk would make it so much easier! I have been advocating for this since 96 but I haven't given up yet! The Marriott which is two doors down always has had a great view and now has a nice ramp too. However you feel like you are sneaking in when you go to a different hotel!

Linda
:smooth:

So sad to hear it didn't work, but at least you tried.
It sounds like you had a really good time though.
Maybe the Marriot having a new ramp will help you in your quest. People who don't have a wheelchair might see how nice a ramp would be and then you will have more voices with you. I wish I could advocate for it, but we have never been there, so I don't think I would be a good witness for the need for a ramp.

I found the track! It's called Port-a-Path! And companies that sell accessories for RV's and Travel Trailers sell it. As do Companies that rent Tents for events,they sell it as an accessory.

I did a www.Google.com search to find it and there are several pictures of it.

This is the path that Ground Force used for the women in a power wheelchair,they laid it out over the grass so She would be able to walk her service dog.

I hope this helps!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter