Power recliner and lift chair

Tink-n-MrIncredible

DIS Veteran
I am looking for information on a power recliner and lift chair. Features that I should look for. Best place to shop for one. Thanks

I got my Mom’s from a local medical supply store, but many furniture stores have them too. Hers has heat and massage. She loved the heat feature, as she was always cold.

If you are getting it for someone with mobility issues and have a doctor's order, you may be able to get insurance to pay for the lift portion. Depends on the condition and the health insurance. Also, if there are mobility issues, make sure that there is a battery back up so that the person can get out of it during a power outage.

If it is for a person that may be incontinent, you would want to consider what type of fabric. Like MIGrandma, some furntire stores have them as do medical supply houses.

DMIL slept in her recliner but it wasn't good for her circulation so her lower legs were quite swollen and needed compression bandages. Eventually her dementia "allowed" her to forgot why she was sleeping in the chair, allowed the staff at the nursing home to make sure she slept in her bed, and the swelling disappeared.

FWIW, a lot of the residents at the nursing home slept in their recliners.

Thank you both for the helpful replies. My mom has mobility issues. She is more comfortable sleeping in her chair versus her bed. Now she is having trouble getting the chair into the reclining position.

Breezy, Thank you for mentioning it as I had not though about that.

Thanks jdb, I will monitor legs.

We got my mom’s from a furniture store, she needed one that got her legs higher than her heart. I think it was around $800, microfiber.

We are on our second one for my Mom. The first one for less dollars came from a local furniture store chain. It did not hold up well at all. The second one came from a medical supply store and is well worth the extra dollars invested. She slept in it quite often, but had to be monitored frequently for swelling and bed sores

I had one I used all through my cancer treatments. My only issues with it was that the controls were on the outside of the chair by the arm ich made it difficult to reach when reclined. Make sure the controls are either on a remote with a cord or inside the chair on the arm.

YES on the battery back up! I was stuck in my chair and couldn't get out during a power outage. If it doesn't come with it's own battery pack you can buy a small UPS system.

My father has mobility issues. He can no longer walk and can only pivot from his wheelchair to his recliner or bed. My mom got his chair from a medical supply company. He sleeps a lot in his reclining chair. He is going to need a new one soon because it is squeaking from overuse.

The one I bought for my mother was a Pride brand. It laid pretty flat so easy to sleep in. the foot portion went all the way up before the reclining part started. Some start reclinging before the foot part is all the way up and isn't as comfortable.

My mom bought a La-z-boy. They have a lift option but she didn’t get it. It was ridiculously expensive but I swear it’s the most comfortable recliner I’ve ever sat in. She bought it to sleep in as she doesn’t breath as well laying flat. She’s had it for a couple years now.

I bought one that I used when I got my hip replaced. We bought it from Sam's Club and it was $599. It has been 3 years and I no longer need it, but I leave it in my dining room and still occasionally go sit in it, as I love the heating/massage feature. We keep it, as I will be getting the other hip done in a few years. It really came in handy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter