Power Up Bands

DizneyLizzy

DIS Veteran
How much will we really miss out on at UHS if we don't purchase the Power Up bands? My kids are 6 & 9, and I'm thinking of saving the $80 and using our early entry time in Super Mario World to experience the Bowser ride twice and take some pictures, rather than play the games. Does this sound reasonable? My kids love rides, and I can't see them waiting in long lines to play the games. I'd also love to avoid passing my phone between them all morning, checking coins, etc. Thanks!

Outside of the Mario Kart ride, there's not much else to do in Super Nintendo land that doesn't require the bands. Sure, you can look around & take pictures, but everything else is focused on the bands - coin blocks, the Bowser Jr. mini-games, etc., all pretty much require a Power Up Band. Even the Mario Kart ride links with the Power Up band.

You need the bands. Just accept that this will be a VERY expensive day. 😆 On top of the bands, the merch is amazing and we have spent $$$$ on it up to this point.

If it helps at all, the bands are also Amiibos, so you can use them on your Nintendo Switch at home for bonus content in several games.

Also, there will be NO satisfaction when hitting blocks when you have no bands. Nothing will happen. You need the bands for the sound and light effects.

You also will likely have a hard time getting on Kart twice in the early entry hour. The line will immediately be 45-60 minutes and sometimes the ride isn't even operational during the early hour. Without bands you will have nothing else to do. Once the park opens, the wait time will swell to 120-180 minutes within 15 minutes of official park opening time. The ride itself is a big time commitment. Even if it's a walk on, you are talking 20-30 minutes to get through it.

I completely agree with what @DLgal shared. The day we did USH, my son kept a watchful eye on the Mario Kart ride - it was the whole reason we planned a day at USH. Within 5 minutes of the park opening, the wait time was already 60 minutes. Like DLgal said, it swelled to 120 minutes after about 15 minutes of the park opening. He keep checking throughout the day and it never went below a 180 minute at any point.

Doing Super Nintendo World without the bands is possible, but I think it will be disappointing overall. No coin blocks, the kids can't do the mini-games, the binoculars won't work, a lot of the fun stuff will be out of reach for your kids.

I went in Mid May (on a thursday) with my friend and her family. She actually bought her kids the bands second hand from another mom in a local BST group. Was able to link them and use them. They were only doing the 1 day at USH so I believe she planned to resell them. We did not do early hours, but were at the front of the rope drop crowd. Although, it took quite awhile for my Mom and I to get down there as we had her wheelchair and needed to use the bus to go down the hill. We were beat by a lot! But with our AAP for the wheelchair and one for another person, they took us straight in and we got on in under 20 minutes. I think the line was still only 60-80 minutes posted at that point. We let the boys (8 & 10) run around with their bracelet things, but honestly, they were over it pretty quickly and we left that area probably only about 20 minutes after we finished the ride. We did go back later in the day and got a return time for maybe 70 minutes later for Bowser while we ate at Toad Stool Cafe. Boys ran around again and did another mini game or 2 and scanned coins, but really did not seem to into it. I know I did not miss out since I am not into gaming or nintendo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter