Powerball winner refuses to collect if name is disclosed

To those saying to pack up and move, would you really be willing to do that?
Great, now you have a fortune, but you have to possibly trade your family, friends, your kids' friends and school, and everything you know to claim it? For me, that would be awful, not even worth the money.

That is why I don't even play.

I moved almost 2 years ago just to get away from Maine winters- it's not that traumatic, and if you are loaded you could pay for your family to visit you... frequently.

Choosing to move because you've decided you don't like where you live isn't quite the same.
The "blessing" of winning the lottery shouldn't have to automatically mean you have to give up your current life.

I think anonymity should be an option for this woman if she wants it, even if she made an error in how she claimed it. If it's an option, give her a break and allow it.

To those saying to pack up and move, would you really be willing to do that?
Great, now you have a fortune, but you have to possibly trade your family, friends, your kids' friends and school, and everything you know to claim it? For me, that would be awful, not even worth the money.

You don't have to move far...you just have to move to a "not small town."

And who is to say that everyone lives near their family? Most lotto winners are old (statistically). Kid's schools are rarely a consideration. We don't have family nearby at all (they are all across the country) and while my sisters live in the same state, it's a big state. If we won, we would simply move into a house in the same city we live right now, but just not be associated with our current address anymore. That way, people won't know where to go to "come knocking." We live in a large city with a population over 300,000. We could hide here quite easily. We don't draw attention to ourselves as it is, and it's easy to blend in. It would not be so hard. My PE teacher in 10th grade won $6 million in the state lottery and all she did was buy a new car. She didn't move, she didn't quit her job. As far as I know, she is still working at the same school 25 years later...

You don't have to move far...you just have to move to a "not small town."

And who is to say that everyone lives near their family? Most lotto winners are old (statistically). Kid's schools are rarely a consideration. We don't have family nearby at all (they are all across the country) and while my sisters live in the same state, it's a big state. If we won, we would simply move into a house in the same city we live right now, but just not be associated with our current address anymore. That way, people won't know where to go to "come knocking." We live in a large city with a population over 300,000. We could hide here quite easily. We don't draw attention to ourselves as it is, and it's easy to blend in. It would not be so hard. My PE teacher in 10th grade won $6 million in the state lottery and all she did was buy a new car. She didn't move, she didn't quit her job. As far as I know, she is still working at the same school 25 years later...

I'm speaking for myself, if I were in this situation. Maybe it would be easy for you, but it would be a terrible choice to make for me.
I'm pretty attached to my home, where my kids were born and raised, and our family is all local...I'm speaking from my perspective, obviously. To move far away enough for anonymity, we would be leaving the only home my kids have known, their cousins, their school and friends, and their neighborhood. Hey kids, we're rich! Now you have to give up everything else that matters...no thanks.

In our state you can't even claim with a trust. If someone doesn't want their name disclosed they should have that right. A fingerprint is unique to everyone. A fingerprint should be the only thing needed for winners & lottery workers. Not hard. A darn I-phone & WDW uses fingerprint identification.

If I won that kind of money in the lottery (which I don't play), I would immediately convert it into trust funds/incorporate, then purchase a township in a very remote location, like BC or Yukon, or the Northwest Territories. They are often selling entire towns... yes, seriously. OR I would move to said remoteness on Crown land, and homestead. ;)

I do not think a lottery winner should have to disclose their name. It is not fair to thrust them into the spotlight. I am sure I would come forward in the same situation, but I would have a lawyer and other safeguards in place before I did. Change my phone number set off to a remote location.

I would be very willing to change my phone number and deal with the solicitors to have financial peace of mind. Not even a question. I just can't imagine giving that up and having my son struggle with student loans, my husband work until he's 75, and continue to live paycheck to paycheck rather than deal with the hassles of being rich. Maybe because I don't have a huge extended money grubbing family and I'm good at saying no but I can't imagine anything that would keep me from claiming that money!

I think the winners should get to be anonymous, however, those were not the rules when she purchased the ticket. I can't see them retroactively changing it.

I wish they would change these lottery winner disclosure rules. As a society, we value privacy when it comes to matters of voting, education, medical, and finances to the the extent that we have laws in place to protect those aspects of our lives yet, for some reason, if you win a vast sum of money that will make you a target for harassment and crime, your privacy doesn't matter anymore. It's nonsensical, as is the reasoning behind it. The idea that disclosing a winner's identity keeps the lottery commission on the up and up sounds like some throwback law from another century.

"Did you hear old man Gilbert won the lottery?"
"Ah yes, seven dollars! I saw his photograph in the newspaper and he was smiling and holding a big check so, proof."

Lol, wut? Is there not a governing body with auditing powers that could do a better job of maintaining the integrity of the lottery? The commission just wants the free advertising that comes from showing a winner holding a check, plain and simple, and insisting on that can very literally mean life or death for some people. It needs to change.

I don't get all the "it's not fair" and "privacy should come first" thoughts. Playing the lottery is not a requirement for anyone, nor a right (like voting, education, medical, etc). This is very simple, if you don't like the rules, don't play the game. Don't play the game and then claim "the rules shouldn't apply to me". I also don't think it's too much to ask to do some research after you find out you won but before coming forward to find out what's required of you.

Releasing the names of the winners helps to maintain the integrity of the Lottery System. If they didn't release the names, for all we know it could be someone that works for the Lottery, the location that sold the ticket, a family member of those individuals, etc...
That might make more sense if all states that participated in the powerball required the winners to have their names public. As is they don't.

I don't get all the "it's not fair" and "privacy should come first" thoughts. Playing the lottery is not a requirement for anyone, nor a right (like voting, education, medical, etc). This is very simple, if you don't like the rules, don't play the game. Don't play the game and then claim "the rules shouldn't apply to me". I also don't think it's too much to ask to do some research after you find out you won but before coming forward to find out what's required of you.
I like that my state doesn't require me to release my name.

To me it's more about protecting myself from others--as in crime, etc. And honestly I'd like the control to be able to tell who I want to tell.

That being said I'd abide by their rules on where I bought the ticket.

I do agree with you on researching. I can understand the excitement and nervousness but if I won anything I'm researching the heck out of it first before doing something that is irreversible (like signing, etc).

That might make more sense if all states that participated in the powerball required the winners to have their names public. As is they don't.
In a statement, New Hampshire lottery Executive Director Charlie McIntyre said the commission consulted with the state’s attorney general’s office and that the Powerball winner must abide by the disclosure laws “like any other.”

“The New Hampshire Lottery understands that winning a $560 million Powerball jackpot is a life-changing occurrence,” the statement said. “Having awarded numerous Powerball jackpots over the years, we also understand that the procedures in place for prize claimants are critically important for the security and integrity of the lottery, our players and our games. While we respect this player’s desire to remain anonymous, state statutes and lottery rules clearly dictate protocols.” That quote was taken form article published in the Washington Post. Admins don't like sharing outside sites, so you can look it up if you'd like. Also it is required in all but 6 states (Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, Ohio, N. Dakota, and S. Carolina). Bottom line is the state she played in does require it and for those purposes.

Last edited:
Change your phone number all your want, but you are still going to get calls from solicitors. Mainly ones trying to sell you solar panels or letting you know you won a free cruise. :-):-):-)

I'm broke as a joke and I never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. That wouldn't change for me if I had $560 mil!

I'm broke as a joke and I never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize. That wouldn't change for me if I had $560 mil!

Ha I don't either. I was joking that you can change your number all you want, those robo dialers are still finding you. Amazing that even if you don't answer they still call constantly.

In a statement, New Hampshire lottery Executive Director Charlie McIntyre said the commission consulted with the state’s attorney general’s office and that the Powerball winner must abide by the disclosure laws “like any other.”

“The New Hampshire Lottery understands that winning a $560 million Powerball jackpot is a life-changing occurrence,” the statement said. “Having awarded numerous Powerball jackpots over the years, we also understand that the procedures in place for prize claimants are critically important for the security and integrity of the lottery, our players and our games. While we respect this player’s desire to remain anonymous, state statutes and lottery rules clearly dictate protocols.” That quote was taken form article published in the Washington Post. Admins don't like sharing outside sites, so you can look it up if you'd like. Also it is required in all but 6 states (Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, Ohio, N. Dakota, and S. Carolina). Bottom line, is the state she played in does require it and for those purposes.
Right, I'm just saying it sounds like a weak excuse (not you but the verbage used) as it makes it out like the several states that don't require the name to be public don't care about integrity, whether people believe the game is real or not, etc. as their names aren't required to be public.

Right, I'm just saying it sounds like a weak excuse (not you but the verbage used) as it makes it out like the several states that don't require the name to be public don't care about integrity, whether people believe the game is real or not, etc. as their names aren't required to be public.

Rotating external independent auditors would easily help with the integrity checks. Part of it is also for litigation purposes I've heard as well, as someone could have prior financial issues, debts owed, etc. and hide the winnings from their debtors. But isn't that what most of the wealthiest 1% do anyway? Ha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter