• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PPO ADR at MK - monorail, bus or uber?

Josh & Laila Harbour

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!

I know this has probably been discussed so many times on this board, but I am getting myself confused as I look at options, our specific scenario, etc...so any clear help would be VERY appreciated!

Trip Details:
  • Staying at Shades of Green (so off-site, but also, kinda on with regards to distance, etc).
  • On 3/12 we will be going to MK and have an ADR at CRT at 8:05am (used to be PPO when park opened at 9am, now not so much with the change to an 8am park opening!)
  • Shades of Green buses do not start running until 30min prior to park open and drop off at the TTC
So here are my questions...
  1. Is it correct that the MK monorail/ferries won't begin service from the TTC to the park until 30 minutes before the park opens. So 7:30am for an 8:30am park open?
  2. If that is true, and we were to Uber to the TTC in time for the first monorail at 7:30am, I am assuming 30 minutes is not necessarily enough time to take the monorail, get through tap points/security and then walk to CRT by 8:05am.
  3. Is our only option for this day to walk across the street to the Polynesian and get one of the early-morning resort buses that start at 6:30am? We have two grandparents on the trip and we are trying to limit their walking (they will be getting ECVs at the park) - but if this is the only way, we will make it work!
  4. If #3 above is correct, is this what Disney assumes any "off-site" guest must do to get to a PPO ADR? Or is there actually a way to get from the TTC to the MK prior to the posted "30minutes before the park opens" posted time?
  5. If we go with #3 above, do the resort "early-morning" buses run every 30 minutes? Meaning, with a 6:30am start time, is it safe to assume there is a "7am" departure we could shoot for (so we can leave Shades of Green at 6:30am to be at the Polynesian bus stop in time)?
  6. Any other options that would be viable? Unfortunately, Minnie Vans do not offer service from Shades of Green and, from what I have read, you have to be an actual guest at a Disney resort to take one (i.e. we cannot walk to the Polynesian to get a Minnie Van).
Whew! Ok...so there are the questions. And, as others have noted, Disney CMs are no help on the phone. I have received three different answers from three different CMS when I have called. Shades of Green suggests we do the Polynesian walk and do an early-morning bus.

So what you're asking is, "What's the best way to get from Shades of Green to MK for an 8:05 ADR at CRT?"

Just walk to the Poly and take the monorail from there to MK. The resort monorail starts running around 7:00.

So what you're asking is, "What's the best way to get from Shades of Green to MK for an 8:05 ADR at CRT?"

Just walk to the Poly and take the monorail from there to MK. The resort monorail starts running around 7:00.

LOL...yes, in a very loooong, roundabout way, that was the root of my question. So, thank you!

Just so I know all available options and info (again, trying to avoid the walk from SOG to Polynesian with the grandparents...and it is currently forecasted to be raining that Monday morning!), does that mean the TTC monorail does not operate as early as 7am? So, if we took an Uber to TTC we would have to wait until 7:30am for that monorail service to start on an 8am RD day? Is that the scenario for anyone staying off-site? How do they get to early ADRs?

Don't mean to stress about this...this is unfortunately our first day at WDW so I won't have any options to ask CMs for advice on a park day prior to this ADR (and this is our first time doing an early ADR at MK not staying at a Disney resort).

Thanks again!

The resort monorail also stops at the TTC. You could take it from there if you wanted to.

On a side note: do not, under any circumstances, ask a non-transportation CM about transportation. In fact, don't ask any CM about anything that is not very directly related to their job.

LOL...yes, in a very loooong, roundabout way, that was the root of my question. So, thank you!

Just so I know all available options and info (again, trying to avoid the walk from SOG to Polynesian with the grandparents...and it is currently forecasted to be raining that Monday morning!), does that mean the TTC monorail does not operate as early as 7am? So, if we took an Uber to TTC we would have to wait until 7:30am for that monorail service to start on an 8am RD day? Is that the scenario for anyone staying off-site? How do they get to early ADRs?

Don't mean to stress about this...this is unfortunately our first day at WDW so I won't have any options to ask CMs for advice on a park day prior to this ADR (and this is our first time doing an early ADR at MK not staying at a Disney resort).u

Thanks again!
uber drops off at TTC or at Contemporary and walk to MK. other than monorail, ferry, buses only way to gate at MK is Minnie Vans. remember that now security is now at TTC not at MK gate or on the walkway from Contemporary

Shades of Green is onsite, just fyi.

Just Über//Lyft - either to the TTC, or to the Contemporary and walk.

Shades of Green is onsite, just fyi.

Just Über//Lyft - either to the TTC, or to the Contemporary and walk.
If walking from SoG to the Poly isn't an option, I don't see how walking from the contemporary to mk is going to be better.

Thank you so much, everyone, for the help and info!

I think we have decided for the grandparents to rent their ECV at Shades of Green, and then make the walk/scooter trip on our early morning ADR to Poly and be there by 7am to catch the Monorail. It sounds like this option gets us to CRT in plenty of time for our 8am ADR. Anything we should know about this plan/tips/advice?

One last question...can ECVs be driven right on the the monorail? How does that work? I’m assuming that’s even possible (or course, Disney’s site isn’t very clear on this, but it seemed to infer it was ok).

One last question...can ECVs be driven right on the the monorail? How does that work? I’m assuming that’s even possible (or course, Disney’s site isn’t very clear on this, but it seemed to infer it was ok).
Yes, each Monorail station has portable gangplanks that the cm's put in place to load wheelchairs and ecv's. The rider remains on the ecv or wheelchair throughout the trip.

All Disney buses can also load 2 ecv's or wheelchairs. I don't know which bus company is currently running the SOG buses, but they should be able to load at least one, as well. On a bus, the rider may remain on the ecv, but it's considered safer to transfer to a seat.

The only Disney transportation I can think of that doesn't take ecv's are the small boats (called launches) that run on the MK-GF-Poly route and the CR-FtW-WL route. All other routes (including DS & DHS-Epcot) use larger boats that can take ecv's.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, everyone, for the help and info!

I think we have decided for the grandparents to rent their ECV at Shades of Green, and then make the walk/scooter trip on our early morning ADR to Poly and be there by 7am to catch the Monorail. It sounds like this option gets us to CRT in plenty of time for our 8am ADR. Anything we should know about this plan/tips/advice?

just remember they will have to drive ECV up the steep ramp up to and down from monorail which can be tricky with crowds

Yes, each Monorail station has portable gangplanks that the cm's put in place to load wheelchairs and ecv's. The rider remains on the ecv or wheelchair throughout the trip.

All Disney buses can also load 2 ecv's or wheelchairs. I don't know which bus company is currently running the SOG buses, but they should be able to load at least one, as well. On a bus, the rider may remain on the ecv, but it's considered safer to transfer to a seat.

The only Disney transportation I can think of that doesn't take ecv's are the small boats (called launches) that run on the MK-GF-Poly route and the CR-FtW-WL route. All other routes (including DS & DHS-Epcot) use larger boats that can take ecv's.
and most times unless water level is too low boats from MK to either WL or FW can take ECVs

The other thing you can do is go to the Bellhop desk up front of the SOG resort and ask to get a lift on the "Shady Shuttle" it's a golf cart type vehicle that will transport you down to the end of SOG property then you just have to walk across the street and then a short walk on the path at Poly to the door and up to the monorail. This is what we used to do all the time with my disabled mom.

Have fun! :)

Thank you all so much - this really helps and answers our questions! Just very confused with posted vs actual monorail and bus start times. Wosh Disney was better at communicating those accurately!

If I could piggyback on the above question and ask the same thing about Epcot instead of MK.

We will be staying at SOG in October and will have a PPO ADR at Garden Grill. Our plan for all MK and EP days is to go over to the Poly and catch the monorail from there. It sounds like both monorails start running at 7am. Is that correct?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter