Pre cruise WDW suggestions

We stayed three nights at CR before our cruise. We did MK on our arrival day, then one day at Epcot and another day at MK. I was tired but it was so much fun! I did some laundry the evening before the cruise while dc were at the pool with dh. We took a car service to the port so I could stop and stock up on diapers and formula, also because I like being on my own schedule. I think we got to PC around 11?

When we've done WDW before a cruise, we packed all our "cruise only" clothes in one suitcase and that suitcase didn't get opened until we were onboard. Those clothes were mainly things we wore to dinner. This was before the more relaxed dress code, so we always changed clothes for dinner. I just found it easier to organize our packing this way.

How and when has the dress code changed?

We stayed three nights at CR before our cruise. We did MK on our arrival day, then one day at Epcot and another day at MK. I was tired but it was so much fun! I did some laundry the evening before the cruise while dc were at the pool with dh. We took a car service to the port so I could stop and stock up on diapers and formula, also because I like being on my own schedule. I think we got to PC around 11?

How many were in your party and how much did the car service cost? They made a stop at store for you?

Last edited:
Is there a set schedule for hotel pickup? I am thinking of going down the day before but not doing the parks--our APs will have expired. We may go down two days before and spend the day before at TL. I would be booking a studio on DVC points or paying cash for a value (pop maybe), but of course I will be really anxious to go on sailing day and don't want to choose the resort that gets picked up last!
Daisyx3

How and when has the dress code changed?

When we started cruising in 2003, the dress code for the MDR's was cruise casual and stated no jeans, shorts, etc. It has recently (not sure exactly when) been relaxed to allow jeans and shorts. I'm not sure of the specifics. Actually, I was only aware of the changes because of posts here. On my last couple of cruises we have still gone by the old dress code - it's kind of a habit for us

Wondering specifically about the Anna & Elsa greet....will arriving there by DCL bus then doing lunch before Guest Services be a problem with reserving a time to meet them? Or will any other items, like tastings?

Wondering specifically about the Anna & Elsa greet....will arriving there by DCL bus then doing lunch before Guest Services be a problem with reserving a time to meet them? Or will any other items, like tastings?

We always hit Guest Services as soon as we drop off our carryons to our room and check our excursion tickets to make sure it's all in order. Then lunch. We've never had a problem with booking tastings at that time. Only once on board the Dream was the Mixology sold out before we checked (well they had one spot left but we wanted two). Even on that cruise we managed a champagne and martini tasting. The other tastings didn't meet our schedule. I can't commnt on A&E because not only did they not exist at the time and you didn't need tickets for princess meet and greets but also we don't do them - it's just the two of us.

We have bookends scheduled at BLT. We are first time cruisers and we are taking Disney transportation to/from the port.

Two questions:

1. We were hoping to leave some luggage in the care of Bell Services at BLT/Contemporary while on the cruise - has anyone done this?
2. We were planning to run over to MK the morning of the cruise and squeeze in a couple rides. Anyone done that?

Thanks!

1. We have left our car at POR (stayed there before and after and ok'd with hotel prior) but have never asked about the luggage.
2. Lots of people squeeze in a quick park visit before the ride to PC and my biggest worry would be a delay in transportation coming back, but BLT to MK is a very short walk so no problems there. The DCL bus will pick you up at the resort ~12:00 (they'll give you an exact time if you ask the day before at the cruise desk). Definitely time for a couple quick rides, especially with EE on Saturday.

We always hit Guest Services as soon as we drop off our carryons to our room and check our excursion tickets to make sure it's all in order. Then lunch. We've never had a problem with booking tastings at that time. Only once on board the Dream was the Mixology sold out before we checked (well they had one spot left but we wanted two). Even on that cruise we managed a champagne and martini tasting. The other tastings didn't meet our schedule. I can't commnt on A&E because not only did they not exist at the time and you didn't need tickets for princess meet and greets but also we don't do them - it's just the two of us.

and you're experience include using the dcl transfers?

The DCL bus will pick you up at the resort ~12:00 (they'll give you an exact time if you ask the day before at the cruise desk). Definitely time for a couple quick rides, especially with EE on Saturday.

Be warned that this time is not necessarily correct. We were picked up at GF once at 10:30 am. We'd assumed that we would be picked up about noon; fortunately I'd planned to have a relatively early (for us) breakfast at 8:00. We would not likely have had time to go to even MK and do anything. And you won't find out until fairly late the night before so if you have a morning planned and you've paid for tickets, you may find that you are out of luck. There isn't always someone at the cruise desk and even if there is, they can't always tell you a firm time until later in the evening when they've finalized the schedule.

You don't want to miss the bus and have to suddenly find your own way to the port at the last minute. They won't wait very long. I'd plan for pool time at best rather than chance it. You can always bring a sealable plastic bag or space bags to seal up wet bathing suits and throw them in your carryon and then hang them up when you get to your stateroom.

DCL transfers pick up at the resorts anywhere from 10:30 to about 12:30. There is no set order for the buses. Your bus could only pick up at your resort or may pick up at two or three resorts. It all depends on how many people have booked DCL transfers on that day from each resort. I don't think one bus will pick up at more than 3 resorts. There are several buses leaving the different resorts at different times (some resorts may need 2 buses if there are many cruisers who booked transfers). At WDW check in you should get a letter that will tell you what time to meet the bus the next morning. Mention to the resort check in CM's that you are taking DCL transfers the next day and they should give you all the info you need.

MJ

Transport: we have taken Disney transportation, rented a car, and on our last trip we used Happy Limo. We are now sold on Happy Limo because of the price, professionalism, and ability to avoid the herd so some degree.
Answer to question 2 - yes, we have gone to the parks before the cruise. The only issue is making it to your ride/bus.

Transport: we have taken Disney transportation, rented a car, and on our last trip we used Happy Limo. We are now sold on Happy Limo because of the price, professionalism, and ability to avoid the herd so some degree.
Answer to question 2 - yes, we have gone to the parks before the cruise. The only issue is making it to your ride/bus.

Did happy limo make a stop for you? Did you pick the pick-up time? Did you have plenty of room for luggage? How about tipping amounts?

Yes, the ability to make a stop is a selling point for Happy Limo. They were quite matter of fact about the idea and very patient. We never felt any pressure to hurry up. We decided on pick up times to whatever degree was possible - i.e. the port doesn't open until 10:30 am so as anxious as we were to board, we couldn't really go earlier. We certainly could have chosen to go later. Pick up after the cruise is the same - they will pick you up whenever Disney makes you get off the ship. Room for luggage was fine for us. They picked us up in a town car, and we had room for 6 bags/luggage in the trunk. I kept my bag with iPad, passports, money up front with me. I tipped 20% of the trip price to each driver -- the trip from Disney to the port, and the trip from the port to the airport were two separate amounts. Since we had two separate drivers, each ended up with a different tip. I chose Happy Limo because of all the good reviews, and because they seemed to have a big enough fleet of vehicles so that if something happened on the road (have had cabs break down 3x in 25 years of travel) they would have backup plans to get us to our destination on time. I was impressed with their level of communication - call and text at each phase. Whew! I sound like a freaking commercial.

We are hoping to spend 3 nights and 2 park days at WDW before our cruise. We will be flying into MCO on Wednesday and doing the parks Thursday and Friday. I am think Epcot on Thursday and MK on Friday. Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle the parks in such a short time, how to pack/re-pack for the cruise once at WDW, do you need to wash clothes at the resort. I am also interested in transportation to PC preferences and carrying on alcohol to the ship (how to buy it at WDW area without a car). Thanks

We're doing WDW before our Fantasy cruise too, and we're hoping to keep it as stress-free (with two kids....) as possible. We're taking DCL transport so that we don't need to worry about timing as it's our first time on a Disney Cruise and are unfamiliar with the area. DH and I are planning on bringing a couple bottles of alcohol with us in our carry-ons (according to cruise policies it's the only way you can bring it on the ship) and we also selected a pre-paid Wine Package for our dinners (saves corkage fee too). For us, this will all save us the hassle & worry of bringing too much with us or trying to find something we like while at WDW.
As for packing clothes, keep extra swimsuits close by! That way if yours don't dry overnight, shove them in a plastic bag into your checked luggage and grab your extra dry one to throw into your carry-on. With laundry facilities on the ship you could get away with packing only a few days worth of clothes and then do a load the second day of cruising.
Good luck planning :) It'll all come together!

Yes, the ability to make a stop is a selling point for Happy Limo. They were quite matter of fact about the idea and very patient. We never felt any pressure to hurry up. We decided on pick up times to whatever degree was possible - i.e. the port doesn't open until 10:30 am so as anxious as we were to board, we couldn't really go earlier. We certainly could have chosen to go later. Pick up after the cruise is the same - they will pick you up whenever Disney makes you get off the ship. Room for luggage was fine for us. They picked us up in a town car, and we had room for 6 bags/luggage in the trunk. I kept my bag with iPad, passports, money up front with me. I tipped 20% of the trip price to each driver -- the trip from Disney to the port, and the trip from the port to the airport were two separate amounts. Since we had two separate drivers, each ended up with a different tip. I chose Happy Limo because of all the good reviews, and because they seemed to have a big enough fleet of vehicles so that if something happened on the road (have had cabs break down 3x in 25 years of travel) they would have backup plans to get us to our destination on time. I was impressed with their level of communication - call and text at each phase. Whew! I sound like a freaking commercial.

So our family of 4 could fit in a town car with luggage no problem?

1. We were hoping to leave some luggage in the care of Bell Services at BLT/Contemporary while on the cruise - has anyone done this?
2. We were planning to run over to MK the morning of the cruise and squeeze in a couple rides. Anyone done that?

Thanks!

For our most recent cruise, in November, we did WL - Fantasy - BC. Departure morning at WL I gave two pieces of luggage to WL bell services to transfer to BC and put into long-term storage there, to be picked up when we checked into BC. There was no problem doing this.

I would there assume, but of course cannot confirm, that you would be able to put luggage into long term storage at BLT/CR for your return to the same resort at the end of the cruise.

Our first cruise on the departure morning we went to MK for the rope drop ceremony, but then came back to the hotel. We were staying at WL and our DCL transfer pickup time was 1130am and we were supposed to meet DCL in the lobby area at 11:15. We wanted to get back, get checked out, and spend a bit of time relaxing in the lobby with no time fears.

Time-wise there is probably enough time to get in some rides, especially if the day is EMH AM at MK.

-SW

For our first cruise, we did the DCL transfer from WL to the port. Picked up about 1130, got to the port about 1300 after one or two other stops. We ended up missing the MDR lunch that we wanted (because I have food allergies) and had to eat in Cabanas instead. Also weren't able to take the tour we wanted to.

For our second cruise we decided we wanted to be at the port as early as possible. We used a town car service to get us to and from the port and were quite pleased. Got to do MDR lunch, speak with dining services, sign up for gingerbread house making.

For our third/forth (we are doing 2 consecutive cruises on the Dream) next December, we are trying something different again. We arrive on a Tuesday. We will take Disney Magical express (free) from MCO to WL. Tue and Wed night are at WL. We have decided this trip will be a no parks trip, so we will just be relaxing around the resort and visting some of the other resorts. Thurs afternoon we will take DME back to MCO and check in to the Hyatt Regency inside MCO airport. Spend a relaxing evening at the Hyatt, repack as needed, etc. Friday morning check out of the Hyatt and aim to catch the first DCL transfer bus from MCO to the port. Get checked in at the port, hang out in the terminal until we can board. Once boarded, we plan on: speaking with dining services re: food allergies; have lunch in the MDR; go on the ship tour; possibly sign up for some things that need to be signed up for.

Any option can work, it depends a lot on what you want to accomplish while on board, how much you are willing to pay for transfers, and what kind of schedule you want that day.

_SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter