pre-teen swimsuit advice

My daughter is also 12 and "changing". We went thru CWkids.com. I had purchased from them in the past. They have cute styles and she decided on one. Thought we would give it a chance. Glad we did. Cut coverage was good. Straps were that of Justice, we buy from there too. She liked the style because it looked more mature than those carried by Justice. Good luck, we need it.:)

I just went through this same search for my DD, also 12. We found two suits for her on the JC Penney site in their Teen department. They had quite a few options that had the little shorts ("hot pants") which is what my DD likes. Kohls also seemed to have a good selection but we couldn't find her size in any of the ones that she liked.

I have had good luck finding bikinis with wider bands at JCPenney. Our target has none that aren't just strings.

I'll tell you which one to stay away from...the Abercrombie & Fitch little girl push up bathing suit. Marketed as a swim suit for little girls around 8-10 years old with a push up bra inside it.....WHAT...:scared1:

What are they thinking...:confused3

I've actually read many people say that they aren't really "push-up" (never mind how they are marketed), but are really just padded, which is what the OP seems to be looking for. The question is, what are the bottoms like?

Last year my dd had the same trouble with the Old Navy swimsuits not having enough padding. We just got another pad for each side so she had a total of four bra pads and the top looked a lot better. She also had the matching boy shorts.

I don't think this is what she is getting at. As I understand she is specifically looking for a bikini.

I would second looking at ana adult extra small. Justice is really the only place I know of that has the padded cups in girls sizes.

I've actually read many people say that they aren't really "push-up" (never mind how they are marketed), but are really just padded, which is what the OP seems to be looking for. The question is, what are the bottoms like?

The bottoms are marketed as "junk in the trunk bikini bottoms"...lol...j/k.

The Land's End Canvas has got some pretty good sale prices on some pieces but weren't quite what I was looking for, since we want belly coverage. Might work for some though! Plus they have XXS.

I just got the Lands End catalog too and the Aqua Terra line has a sports bra style top, swim shorts, and matching rashguard- would be great except for the price...I have spent enough. I think they come in smaller sizes too- some of LE's womens don't start till size 6.

Some of the bottoms are pretty skimpy, a couple I'd let dd10 wear. I think those suits meet a market need of actual teens who are very petite, and want to wear swimsuits in the same style as their peers. Those tops would look horrible on dd10, because she's built like a 7 year old boy, but I can see her being 15, and not fitting into juniors, and then they would be appropriate. They're perfect for tiny teens, not elementary school students.

When I was 13 my family bought swimwear at Sports Authority (Or Dick's Sporting Goods) and at the speedo store.I used to swim a ton so I needed the right type of suit that wouldn't pop off. :laughing: I think PAC Sun might have something along the lines of what your looking for too.

Our DD is 13 and bathing suits are about the only thing she still buys willingly at Justice. She loves that the little pads in the tops are removable and they have tons of styles to choose from, they also have different online than in the stores, so check both. Our experience is that they hold up well and DD spends the entire summer in the pool, so they get a lot of use. The biggest problem we have had is that the plastic clips on the back of the bikini top break, so we just zip tie them together when that happens. DD also like to wear board shorts with her suits and a bikini top and they have some of those to pick from too, but usually those are easier to find at other stores, she doesn't even care if they match.

Our DD is 13 and bathing suits are about the only thing she still buys willingly at Justice. She loves that the little pads in the tops are removable and they have tons of styles to choose from, they also have different online than in the stores, so check both. Our experience is that they hold up well and DD spends the entire summer in the pool, so they get a lot of use. The biggest problem we have had is that the plastic clips on the back of the bikini top break, so we just zip tie them together when that happens. DD also like to wear board shorts with her suits and a bikini top and they have some of those to pick from too, but usually those are easier to find at other stores, she doesn't even care if they match.

Same here !

DD 13 won't wear anything else from Justice but loves the swim suits, both bikini and the tankini. (she likes a tankini for the beach to beach board intead of a rash guard).

OT a little but wal mart has lots of OP swim shorts on sale right now, in store only though, I couldn't find them online. IIRC Jrs are $5 and the kids are $3.50.

MY DD 12 is well developed and this is the only place we have been able to find high quality, supportive, good coverage bikini tops. They sell seperates so you can mix and match tops and bottoms. Worth every penny!!!
http://www.everythingbutwater.com/

Look at the tops by sunsets. My daughter owns 2 and loves them

Lands End has some of last year's Aquaterra pieces in their overstock section right now. Those are a whole lot cheaper. Also, watch them closely this time of year, they always do at least one 30% off all swimwear sale in the spring. (I'm by no means thin, but I love to really swim, and I jump on that sale every spring so that I can get decent suits.)

As to questions of not enough (modesty) padding, or breaking plastic hooks, just visit your nearest fabric store. They always carry the foam liner cups ($6.89/pr) and replacement hooks for swimsuits ($1.50 for 2). It only takes a few minutes to add them to a ready-made suit.

I am soooo not looking forward to my dd growing up. She will be 8 this summer and is immature for her age. She is such a little girl but won't be for long.

I have been noticing lately that although she hasn't started developing per se, she isn't flat as a board anymore. She has what I term "chubbies" She now wears a size 8 in clothes and I really am not impressed with the grown-up looking styles for her. I wish she still fit into the cute little 4-6x clothing.:sad2:

I know I can't stop her from growing up but.....does it have to come so soon?

Last summer I bought my somewhat chesty 11 year a 1 one piece halter style swimsuit at Justice, black and white with some hot pink. The cups had some small pads inside that you could remove if need be but it was PERFECT for her. I'm hoping we can find another one like it this summer since it seems her bedroom ate the other one. Good luck to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter