• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pre-trip report

Alice28

DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>I'm Doombah Fricki
Who's going:
Me: 32
DH:35
DS1: 6
DS2: 3

This trip was originally planned as me taking both boys solo, as my husband was going to be gone for his annual 2 week training with the Army Nat'l Guard in August, and to another school in Sept for 3 weeks. I wanted to take the kids to do something fun this summer, and since family lives in California, we figured we would make a side trip to Disneyland for a couple days.

Original plan was to go August 10, 11, 12 and stay at Howard Johnson Anaheim with a rate I read about on mousesavers.com. It was a park view room with lots of amenities for $89 a night.

Then DH got orders that he is going to Ft. Bliss, TX, and onto Iraq for at least a year. If we moved our trip up a few days, he could go with us. So, we switched our Disneyland days to arriving on August 8th and leaving on the 11th. He really wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel as one last Hurrah, so I booked 3 nights through the hotel at $208 a night with a 10% military discount. I was REALLY hoping a code would come out, or I could possibly luck out on Expedia. Exactly 14 days before our departure date, I locked in a rate of $140 a night on Expedia! It was strange as the DL hotel had that as a rate, but Paradise Pier was $185 a night. I cancelled the original reservation and paid for the Expedia one.

We are able to get 2 day hoppers at the military base for $78 for adults and $55 for the kids.

Our game plan is to arrive at the DL Hotel around 3:30 or 4 on Sunday (driving from San Jose, CA where our parents live). Check in, unpack, swim and eat a very casual dinner at perhaps the Crocs and Bits counter service. We do not plan on spending very much on food since we are splurging on the hotel. Maybe shop around Downtown Disney and watch the fireworks from either our room (if we are so lucky) or the esplanade.

Monday- Disneyland at 8:00 AM sharp. Do the "West" side of the park: Critter Country, Frontierland, New Orleans Square and Adventureland. Have lunch at either Hungry Bear or French Market. Have an afternoon rest and swim at hotel and head over to DCA around 5 or so. We would like to go on Soaring Over California, Grizzly Rapids, Flik's Fun Fair, and the carousel. I am in my first trimester of pregnancy, so I have to skip Tower of Terror this time, darnit. We just went to WDW last year, so we have recently seen the Muppets, Millionaire, Playhouse Disney and so on. DH may go on Screaming by himself as my older son isn't tall enough yet. We plan on meeting another DISer, KatelynnsAuntie, for the Electric Light Parade and hopefully a ride or two. We will probably grab a bite at some point at Taste Pilot's Grill. After the Light Parade, we will watch the fireworks (unless the troops are very tired) and go back to hotel.

Tuesday: Very important this day to hit DL at 8:00 sharp. My goal is to do all of Fantasyland and Toontown by lunch time and I have learned after countless trips to DL that the only way to effectively do Fantasyland is to do Dumbo, Peter Pan, Mr. Toad's, the Matterhorn, Alice & the teacups 1st thing. Then go back through and go on the Carousel, Storybookland, Pinocchio, Snow White and It's a Small World. :p At Toontown we will definitely go on Roger Rabbit and tour Mickey and Minnie's home and Bounce around with Goofy. We will eat lunch probably at the Tomorrowland Terrace so we can catch a showing of Buzz Lightyear and then also go on the Autopia. Then DH and I will split the boys up so DS6 can go on Star Tours and DS3 and I can play in Triton's Garden and meet Ariel (DS3 thinks she's pretty and I like her too). We will then break, go back to hotel for swim and rest and head back into park around 5:30 or so. At some point we have to catch a ride on the train so we can see the dinosaurs- a family favorite.

We will eat at wherever sounds good, maybe the Zocalo place or maybe the Plaza Inn. If it's not too late when we first get back, maybe we will take the boys over to Tom Sawyer's Island or take a cruise on the riverboat. We will most likely go on our favorites again, like Pirates and Splash Mountain, and do some shopping. We aim to see the 9:00 Fantasmic; hopefully the crowds won't be too horrible on a Tuesday night as I don't think my kids can stay up til 10:30 for the 2nd showing. And I know they won't stand for sitting on the pavement from 7:00 to 9:00 either. I'm hoping there will still be a good (decent) spot to sit at 8:00 or so, and then one of us can go get treats to help the time go by a little faster.

Wednesday- have a nice breakfast, maybe room service Mickey Pancakes and check out, head back to San Jose for more time with family.

My main hope is that we have some good family time & make some lasting memories for all of us before DH leaves for Iraq. I have read the crowds have been unusually low for summer time at Disneyland and I am hoping this is true for us as well. I know how to navigate DL like that back of my hand and how to get a lot of rides in, but it is still hard when it's wall to wall people.

:Pinkbounc :D

Just an FYI--Tom Sawyer Island often closes around 5-5:30 pm so that they can prepare for Fantasmic (preparation takes awhile). Also--I wouldn't count on good Fantasmic seats if you're arriving any time after 7-7:30, even on a Tuesday. By 8, sitting might not be an option anymore. Around here we start sitting around 5-5:30 for the best seats. Someone could spread a blanket and hold the spot while others go on rides. Personally, I think waiting and watching the preparation is half the fun--get food, bring a deck of cards and make some friends.

Darn, I wasn't sure if Fantasmic was still as wildly popular as it used to be. Trust me, I have done my fair share of staking out a spot at 6ish or so, with a deck of cards and the like, but it just isn't going to happen with a 3 year old. One year a couple offered to PAY my mom and I to save them a spot cause we had such primo spots and they didn't want to sit there that long! LOL! We took them up on just some popcorn and a soda- no money needed! Maybe DH and I can take turns taking the kids on rides (Pirates, the train, HM) while the other holds our spot. I really, really want the kids to see it, as we didn't go to the one at MGM with them last Spring (and plus the MGM one just isn't as good anyway!).

And I realized that about Tom Sawyer Island as I was typing it; maybe we will try and do that before we had back for our afternoon swim. I think the kids would love it and I haven't been over there in years.

Only 6 more days! I can't wait as we haven't been to DisneyLAND since 2001. Between DH and I we have been to WDW 3 times since then, so it's time for a "home park" fix.

I may be heading over there tomorrow, so I'll be able to tell when the seating gets full as I always stake out a spot early (I love front and center) when I'm solo (I really want some skewers from Bengal Barbeque while I wait). I understand kids not wanting to wait. I took my neice a month and a half ago and she didn't want to wait either, so we did the second one. Luckily she made a friend in line for Gadget's Go Coaster who we then hung out with the rest of the evening, so it made the short wait (a little under an hour--it's short to me considering I've been known to wait 4 hours) for that one tolerable for her. And yes, the DL version is much, much better than the MGM one.

Thanks- I would appreciate a report! Also, if you have a chance, can you check and see how many monorails are operating? THANK YOU! :wave:

I saw 2 monorail trains running. Fantasmic filled up fast. By 7 the whole lower seating area was full and by 7:15 the upper seating (which is much smaller) was also full. Also, I don't know if you have it in your plans, but on your DCA day, you should try to make time for the Aladdin show. I saw it for the 3rd time yesterday and it was great. The Genie was funnier than ever. He changes his jokes up all the time so it's different every time you see it. Also--CA Screamin has added a single rider line, so your husband can get on this much more quickly than the regular line.

Looks like we will be there a lot of the same days. We arrive this Friday, Aug 6th and leave Wed. morning the 11th to drive to San Diego for a few days. We are staying at the Grand Californian. This is our first DL trip and we are all excited. It will be 100 degrees here today so it will be nice to get some cooler weather.

Have fun. Thank you to your husband and all of your family for his service to our country. May God bring him home safely.

Thanks so much for the first hand report iceskatejen. I will definitely stake out a spot around 6:45 or so. Maybe earlier. DH pulled his hamstring last week and has to rest his leg often, so he said he wouldn't mind sitting while I go on the train, Pirates, Haunted, etc with the boys and then check in with him every 30 minutes or so. I will bring a smallish blanket so we can kind of define our space.

And thanks for the head's up on the single riders line for Screaming. I think my older son is tall enough for it so they may ride together afterall. Littler DS and I can do the carousel or something.

Can't wait! I'm just not looking forward to all the driving, but oh well...:o

Hi Alice,

I'm curious about the $140/night for DL hotel from Expedia. Was this a military discount or did you get it because you booked exactly 14 days?

Thanks.

Hi again Alice28,

Kindly disregard my question re. the $140/night Expedia rate. I found my answer in the other Disneyland board.

Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter