Predictions or rumors about Magic 2023 dry dock?

We’re on the magic. I’d wait awhile before going. Lots of things are broken - like the AC, soft serve, and drink station. The new touch elevator panels don’t always work. We’ve been in two where you walk on, touch the screen, and nothing happens. All they did was add concierge rooms, added a concierge lounge, and re-themed the promenade lounge.

They imported the new trivia system from the Wish - and it doesn’t display the trivia theme/type in the app. Just says “KnowsMore Trivia”. They removed some typical cruise activities (chip-it golf, etc). Ship is showing its age - lots of rust, ripped carpets, chipped paint, stained floors, etc.

Last edited:
We’re on the magic. I’d wait awhile before going. Lots of things are broken - like the AC, soft serve, and drink station. All they did was add concierge rooms, added a concierge lounge, and re-themed the promenade lounge.
We talked to our waiter at lunch yesterday, apparently they also did some upgrades in the crew spaces. But 100%, a lot of stuff is still broken unfortunately, and they should’ve had more time in dry dock.

Oh boy … glad we’re not sailing until mid-Sept and we’ll be concierge, at least those spaces will be nice. 😬

We’re on the magic. I’d wait awhile before going. Lots of things are broken - like the AC, soft serve, and drink station. The new touch elevator panels don’t always work. We’ve been in two where you walk on, touch the screen, and nothing happens. All they did was add concierge rooms, added a concierge lounge, and re-themed the promenade lounge.

They imported the new trivia system from the Wish - and it doesn’t display the trivia theme/type in the app. Just says “KnowsMore Trivia”. They removed some typical cruise activities (chip-it golf, etc). Ship is showing its age - lots of rust, ripped carpets, chipped paint, stained floors, etc.
I really appreciate you sharing this. We’ve been thinking about trying to book a sailing on the Magic because we never really gave much of a chance because when we went on it was during Covid and everything was a little off that sailing.

However, with what you’re saying we are going to go ahead and wait longer.

We were originally booked on the PC cruise and canceled and I’m really glad we did if the ship is that rough even after dry dock. (To be fair I felt that dry dock was very short for all she needed).

Could you clarify what you mean about the broken AC ? In the staterooms, the whole ship, certain areas? AC is more important to me than anything else you mentioned! I am menopause age and fluffy! :eek:

The new touch elevator panels don’t always work. We’ve been in two where you walk on, touch the screen, and nothing happens.
I guess it was the Wonder when this kept happening to me last year (couldn’t remember if it was the Wonder or Magic) - it was so annoying by the end of the week. I just kept reporting it to GS if I was nearby.

Thankfully I can walk up/down stairs if I have to but I felt so sorry for those who couldn’t.

Disney Cruise Line Blog
https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...-21-night-dry-dock-with-new-places-to-lounge/

It looks good. I just hope those bar stools in the walkway are bolted down and don’t move. I can see those being an issue constantly being in the way of people walking down the hall. It will be an issue for those bigger wanting to sit on them but I think it would be a bigger issue if they moved. Kids will also be playing with them as they wait in line to enter for dinner. You know the parents will just let them move and play with them.
I’m thinking kid’s playing with them as they are in line for dinner, is the most use those chairs will see in general.
To see if I’m right:
give a thumb up if you think kids will use/play stools most.
Use WOW face if you will pick a stool to sit on over a chair in the area.

Could you clarify what you mean about the broken AC ? In the staterooms, the whole ship, certain areas? AC is more important to me than anything else you mentioned! I am menopause age and fluffy! :eek:
Talking to the crew, they’ve acknowledged there’s a ship-wide problem with the AC. They’re working on fixing it. They’re also working on the elevators, the new trivia system, and eye scream.

In the main areas, like the theaters, dining rooms etc, it’s warmer than normal on Caribbean itineraries. Like I usually wear a sweatshirt inside on the Caribbean cruises because it’s so cold, and I haven’t need one.

In many of the staterooms, they’ve painted over the vents in the ceiling, blocking the fan. According to maintenance, thermostats’ lowest temp was set to 75F (they’re trying to fix it). Which means, no matter how far down you turn the thermostat, it won’t cool the room was well as on the other ships (it’ll be hot at night when everyone is in the room). In talking to other guests on board, only a few families were happy with the temp of the stateroom; most had similar AC issues/painted vents, etc.

The upside is Disney will eventually fix these issues. They’re usually attentive to guests and their feedback. If you’re used to sailing on the Fantasy or Dream, adjust expectations and enjoy the smaller crowds.

I guess it was the Wonder when this kept happening to me last year (couldn’t remember if it was the Wonder or Magic) - it was so annoying by the end of the week. I just kept reporting it to GS if I was nearby.

Thankfully I can walk up/down stairs if I have to but I felt so sorry for those who couldn’t.
This is my concern. Some of the cast suggested we use the stairs, which isn’t an option for people with mobility issues. They’ve been working on the two elevators today where the panels weren’t working.

I really appreciate you sharing this. We’ve been thinking about trying to book a sailing on the Magic because we never really gave much of a chance because when we went on it was during Covid and everything was a little off that sailing.

However, with what you’re saying we are going to go ahead and wait longer.

We were originally booked on the PC cruise and canceled and I’m really glad we did if the ship is that rough even after dry dock. (To be fair I felt that dry dock was very short for all she needed).
I don’t mean to discourage you! But I’d rather guests know potentially what they’ll experience til Disney fixes the problems.

If this helps your decision, in talking to the crew, there are a lot of new crew members. A ton of crew did not return after Covid, and the usual disney service level is different on this ship. We were on the Fantasy a little while ago and the service was outstanding. So it just depends.

I’m concerned at the comments about things like rust, ripped carpets, stained floors - I get new systems needing a chance to work the bugs out, but this sounds like there were basic updates that the ship needed that didn’t get done.

I’m concerned at the comments about things like rust, ripped carpets, stained floors - I get new systems needing a chance to work the bugs out, but this sounds like there were basic updates that the ship needed that didn’t get done.
Yeah agree. That’s very un-Disney like and odd that they’d let the ship stay in that condition. Have to wonder how long they’ll continue to operate it. Other cruise lines put ships this old out of service

In many of the staterooms, they’ve painted over the vents in the ceiling, blocking the fan. According to maintenance, thermostats’ lowest temp was set to 75F (they’re trying to fix it). Which means, no matter how far down you turn the thermostat, it won’t cool the room was well as on the other ships (it’ll be hot at night when everyone is in the room). In talking to other guests on board, only a few families were happy with the temp of the stateroom; most had similar AC issues/painted vents, etc.
Is the painting in the staterooms something that occurred during this past dry dock?

We sailed on Magic just before dry dock. Honestly, I didn't notice many of these issues even then. I didn't notice stained carpet, I don't even remember the chandelier. The AC in our stateroom seemed fine, the bed, couch, pull-down bed seemed fine. We didn't have any elevator issues. There was a small drip in the center of our hallway to our stateroom, on the first day. We just saw it drip a couple of times. It was repaired almost immediately. Maybe a small bit of rust on our verandah.

The promenade lounge (before its makeover) seemed fine but a little bland and we did a couple of trivia sessions in there. (My only complaint from that area is that they had 2 sessions of Marvel trivia, yet they were using the same set of questions! After the presenter figured out most of us had been at the first round, she mixed it up a little on the fly, but really!) The refresh theming on that seems a little unexpected, but I would totally give it a chance.

We did notice the AC in the hall just outside our stateroom seemed to be warm. We were right near the aft stairs/elevators, and up just one flight of stairs was the entrance to Cabanas. Since so many people were coming in and out of those doors constantly, I just kind of assumed the outside air overwhelmed the area near that. Other than that, AC felt fine in all the lounges, theaters, restaurants. Maybe the main lobby was ever so slightly warm. I guess I'm kind of cold in general though, so perhaps it just wasn't bothering me.

At the drink machine area, there was usually 1 out of the 3 (or was it 4) that was out of service, but it didn't seem like a very big deal. Late in the day one day the soft serve machine was really slow. I figured they hadn't refilled it quickly enough.

I don't know, maybe others are more observant than I am. Or maybe I haven't sailed on the others recently enough to have a good comparison.

We sailed on Magic just before dry dock. Honestly, I didn't notice many of these issues even then. I didn't notice stained carpet, I don't even remember the chandelier. The AC in our stateroom seemed fine, the bed, couch, pull-down bed seemed fine. We didn't have any elevator issues. There was a small drip in the center of our hallway to our stateroom, on the first day. We just saw it drip a couple of times. It was repaired almost immediately. Maybe a small bit of rust on our verandah.

The promenade lounge (before its makeover) seemed fine but a little bland and we did a couple of trivia sessions in there. (My only complaint from that area is that they had 2 sessions of Marvel trivia, yet they were using the same set of questions! After the presenter figured out most of us had been at the first round, she mixed it up a little on the fly, but really!) The refresh theming on that seems a little unexpected, but I would totally give it a chance.

We did notice the AC in the hall just outside our stateroom seemed to be warm. We were right near the aft stairs/elevators, and up just one flight of stairs was the entrance to Cabanas. Since so many people were coming in and out of those doors constantly, I just kind of assumed the outside air overwhelmed the area near that. Other than that, AC felt fine in all the lounges, theaters, restaurants. Maybe the main lobby was ever so slightly warm. I guess I'm kind of cold in general though, so perhaps it just wasn't bothering me.

At the drink machine area, there was usually 1 out of the 3 (or was it 4) that was out of service, but it didn't seem like a very big deal. Late in the day one day the soft serve machine was really slow. I figured they hadn't refilled it quickly enough.

I don't know, maybe others are more observant than I am. Or maybe I haven't sailed on the others recently enough to have a good comparison.
That’s good to hear! I always kind of wonder if the complaints are glaring issues or just people being persnickety- it’s good to be aware of potential issues, but I’m also not going to be going out of my way looking for problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter