Pregnant at WDW?!

Ryan Welsh

Earning My Ears
We are coming down in May for a few days and my wife just surprised me a few weeks ago and told me that we are expecting our first child! She will be around 16 weeks when we are there and I was hoping to come to the boards here and see what you guys recommend as far as strategies of how to attack the parks with a pregnant wife. We're in the parks for three days and will be going to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot. We have the Disney dining plan with all of our meals and fast passes already made but I'm willing to modify if I get some must do suggestions. Any kind of special hidden treats that you guys know of that I could surprise my wife with?

We are coming down in May for a few days and my wife just surprised me a few weeks ago and told me that we are expecting our first child! She will be around 16 weeks when we are there and I was hoping to come to the boards here and see what you guys recommend as far as strategies of how to attack the parks with a pregnant wife. We're in the parks for three days and will be going to Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot. We have the Disney dining plan with all of our meals and fast passes already made but I'm willing to modify if I get some must do suggestions. Any kind of special hidden treats that you guys know of that I could surprise my wife with?

Congrats on the new baby! We are also traveling in May with my daughter who is pregnant with her second baby. She will be about 22 weeks along. I know we will have to make sure to keep lots of water in her and take breaks as she needs them. Hopefully we won't encounter any sweeping of the feet but it is a possibility. I would just go at a pace that your wife is comfortable with. Also, you may know the gender of your baby by then. You could do an awesome gender reveal picture if you do. My daughter just found out at 16 1/2 weeks she is having another girl.

I've gone twice pregnant. The second time I was 15 weeks and thankfully past the morning sickness. I took more breaks, drank more water and overall didn't feel any different than I usually do. I avoided certain rides of course but it was great! Enjoy your trip!

Congratulations!!!

I went 2 years ago when I was 15 weeks pregnant, also in May. I was still pretty nauseous most of the time, but otherwise in good physical condition.

I would say the most important thing for her is to stay hydrated and listen to her body. She may need more breaks than usual. We were there in late May and it can get pretty hot there.

This is a matter of personal preference, but my DH and I split up sometimes and did rides alone...he did roller coasters and I did Little Mermaid and Winnie the Pooh. Lol.

I elected not to ride the Safari at Animal Kingdom. That ride is notorious for having long stops and I didn't want to be without access to a restroom for that long! Others are probably more brave than I am.

Overall, I didn't do a whole lot differently than normal other than not riding some of the rides.

Oh! Get an "I'm celebrating" pin. We were just chatting with a CM at Epcot (we were first in line at the tapstile for Rope Drop) and she went and got us buttons and wrote my due date on them. I wasn't obviously pregnant, so it was a nice touch (I didn't show until about 25 weeks).

2 years from now...maybe you'll be like me...getting ready for your first trip with your 18 month old!! Time flies!!

Congrats! I've also taken trips while pregnant twice. I was a little further along both times (around 20-24 weeks), but I echo what the others said. Extra water, extra breaks and just go with the flow. I know I was wiped at the end of the day and was in bed super early, but other than that not too much was different. I did go on Safari and didn't find it too bad. What I did find too jarring was Tomorrowland Speedway!

I have been to Disney twice while pregnant and am about to go in a month for my third time! It is still highly enjoyable. You will find yourself people watching families with small kids and babies and getting excited about bringing your family to Disney in the future! If you are staying onsite, DO tell the CM when you check in that you are celebrating your pregnancy. When I did this at YC, they surprised me with a stuffed Dumbo delivered to my room :) Your wife won't be able to ride many of the headliner attractions like Splash Mountain but there is still plenty to do. Enjoy some dining! I highly recommend dinner at the California Grill during the fireworks. It's so magical. Also, be sure to pick out something for the baby. When I was pregnant with my first, we got my husband and future son matching Mickey shirts that they wore on our first trip together as a family. Disney is great because there are bathrooms everywhere :) I went at 26 weeks, then at 8 weeks, and will now be going in this pregnancy at 27 weeks. I didn't find myself more tired or swollen per se, but everyone is different. Regardless, you should have a terrific time. Congratulations!

I went four times while pregnant. First of all congratulations. I have three suggestions. First drink lots of water. Second take naps. Third have lots of fun

We had our baby in January. Checkout my gender reveal at MK. As far as WDW when pregnant, my advice is don't try to do everything. Take a more leisurely pace. In our case, my wife had some swelling in her legs and we eventually rented a wheel chair, so that we could keep going.

I toured Disney World at five months pregnant and um, make sure you know where the bathrooms are in each park :) My husband said we found every single bathroom in every single park and I think he was correct.

Also remember that if she chooses not to do an attraction, she can be with you in the queue right up to when you board the vehicle so you can spend more time with her (and vice versa). Also, check all the attractions and both of you watch youtube of things and both of you go to talk to her doctor about when she can and cannot ride and what would be up to you.

Congrats!! How sweet! Definitely shop for baby stuff. They have really cute first Christmas ornaments in the MK Christmas shop. You'll probably be surprised at how much she can do while pregnant. Make sure to do some relaxing rides -- the Peoplemover and the trains are great for that. There is a train at MK and one at AK. I love the Peoplemover, and its a great way to relax and get out of the heat. Make some dining reservations so you know what time you are eating and where. While you're there, scope out strollers and how other families do Disney with small kids, its so fun, and you'll be excited to bring your little one to WDW one day!

Things that may be a good idea to bring... a backpack with a misting fan in case she gets hot, some people like those cooling towels, bottles of water. Maybe a few snacks.

Congratulations! 15 years ago we went to WDW in August/September. She was at 7 months, and she rode everything. We saw her doctor before the trip and he said that nothing was off limits. I only advise that you not sit in the back half of the truck on the safari.

We did nothing special, but it was not our first baby.

Congratulations!!
I was pregnant for one of our WDW holidays (16 weeks along). I was still working out like a maniac at the gym, so doing the parks all day was easy for me. I just made sure to listen to my body and hydrate often.
Buying baby clothes, plushies, artwork for the nursery...all wonderful!!
Have fun!!

I went at 9-10 weeks and then 27 weeks pregnant (DLR for 1 day) with DD2. Agree with all the above - take breaks, bring little snacks to stave off nausea (I never got over morning sickness until around 17 weeks or later; the trade off was it was never so bad it made me throw up). Stay hydrated, and enjoy! (and yes, know where ALL the restrooms are)

At 27 weeks I obviously did not do any high impact rides, but had no problems at 9-10 weeks.

Congratulations! Becoming a Dad was one of the best things that has happened to me in life.

I would let your wife dictate the pace. There are some times she might not feel good or may not want to walk around. If that's the case, just be lazy at the resort. If you want to go solo, while she stays behind, that's an option as well. If she doesn't feel well, but still wants to go, you might want to consider renting a wheel chair and just pushing her around.

There's not going to be a one size fits all answer. Pregnancy affects different women in different ways. And, its even different with the same woman with each pregnancy. My wife was sick and miserable for most of her pregnancy with our son. But, she still helped me burn brush and we hiked around Helen, Georgia when she was 6 months along. She did have quite a few folks ask if she was going to go into labor! :teeth: Her pregnancy with our daughter was much easier and much better, with no sickness.

BTW, if you're interested, get one of the "I'm Celebrating ______" buttons from guest services for each of you and celebrate!

I went four times while pregnant. First of all congratulations. I have three suggestions. First drink lots of water. Second take naps. Third have lots of fun
aI too have gone 4x pregnant....this advice is perfect ENJOY!

Congratulations!! :) Yes, definitely get the celebration pins!

I've never been to WDW pregnant, but we are also planning for May and I will be just entering 14 weeks or so then. I will be showing earlier as this is baby #5 for me, and I can attest to the 'every pregnancy is different'. Usually you are good to go once you pass the first trimester, and are more comfortable before the third trimester. My third pregnancy I was not going to be doing anything during first trimester (Sick all the time... even the smell of rice cooking made me ill), but second trimester was better until I was not able to do as much due to my expanded midsection. My last pregnancy was business as usual. I seriously didn't have any 'pregnancy symptoms' except a little morning sickness first trimester. Not even the mid-night 'breaks'. Slept through the night until baby was born.

I am really hoping to go, still (I know... our planned time is starting 3 weeks from now and we still don't know for sure if we can due to the farm situation. Ugh. Stress city for me). If we do, it will be celebrating our pregnancy, our anniversary, AND my son's 7th birthday! Whew! Our plan is more than WDW, though, but I'm wondering how much I'll want to do when we go. Even though walking is probably my favorite pastime.

Thank you guys for all the responses. I'm sure it's going to be a great trip. I was worried about her not enjoying herself but I think we've got a plan now. What specific attractions do you think are must do with an expectant mother? Thinking we'll do a lot more of the shows and charachters meet and greets but she's already planning on pirates and haunted mansion. Any overlooked attractions we should focus on?

And what about using disney floral and gifts for a little in room surprise? Any suggestions?

Thank you guys for all the responses. I'm sure it's going to be a great trip. I was worried about her not enjoying herself but I think we've got a plan now. What specific attractions do you think are must do with an expectant mother? Thinking we'll do a lot more of the shows and charachters meet and greets but she's already planning on pirates and haunted mansion. Any overlooked attractions we should focus on?
Ask your doctor to see if he/she excludes any rides. Ours did not exclude any, but everyone is different, and every pregnancy different. I would ride everything not excluded by the doctor.

Congrats!!!

I went this past Feb and at the time I was 12-13 weeks along. This is my second child. I rode pretty much everything, only stayed off of super nausea inducing ones such as Tea Cups, Mission Space and stayed off of Everest and Rock N Roller Coaster. I did ride Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder, etc. That's to each their own. I knew my baby was still sitting in my pelvis and protected by that. Tower of Terror is just seat belt pushing on side of hips, not in the center, which I was aware of. Besides, I jump around and do a lot of various activities at home so Disney was nothing to my little booger. Had U/S the end of week when we returned for my gender reveal and baby was happy and healthy.... still is. So depends on what moms-to-be are comfortable with.

As for touring itself.... I found I got exhausted way sooner than when I normally go to Disney. Luckily my mom didn't mind my frequent sit down breaks. Also, I knew where the bathrooms were from previous trips with my now 5 yr old so I was the bathroom queen. About every hour I had to go. I also napped several days in the middle of the day, which I never do. And I even did the Princess Half Marathon at the end of my trip, so this was a very physical and exhausting trip but I still thoroughly enjoyed myself. I know your wife will too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter