Premium Pass - either type, how necessary is it?

Aussie Wendy

DIS Veteran
I've been a long while off the boards but now it looks like we will have two days in DLP (yaay!) around 18 and 19 December. I know - it will be busy. Our last visit was way back in 2013 and it was quiet. In the new world of option of paid access to rides, how essential will be the purchase of a Premium Pass? Will we never get on to our favourite rides without it? (We will queue but not ridiculous amounts of time). This will be our adult daughter's first trip to DLP as well (ticking off her last park). I have looked through and searched posts but can't seem to see this discussed in depth anywhere. I appreciate the new Ultimate version will be new for this summer. Experts who have visited DLP around this time of year please jump in with thoughts. Thanks from across the big pond.

I've been a long while off the boards but now it looks like we will have two days in DLP (yaay!) around 18 and 19 December. I know - it will be busy. Our last visit was way back in 2013 and it was quiet. In the new world of option of paid access to rides, how essential will be the purchase of a Premium Pass? Will we never get on to our favourite rides without it? (We will queue but not ridiculous amounts of time). This will be our adult daughter's first trip to DLP as well (ticking off her last park). I have looked through and searched posts but can't seem to see this discussed in depth anywhere. I appreciate the new Ultimate version will be new for this summer. Experts who have visited DLP around this time of year please jump in with thoughts. Thanks from across the big pond.
Christmas school holidays will already have started in France and everywhere else in Europe. I would expect very high crowds (tickets are the most expensive starting 17 december. If you can go before december 17th, you should be fine. But anytime after, I would buy a pass.

Thanks Karin1984. We are staying one night at Hotel Cheyanne to have EMH. We are there Mon Tues 19/20 Dec so peak time. Have booked Disney Express Luggage Service (sucking up the cost for convenience) and staying in budget accom in Marne-La-Vallee prior/after so can maximise both days. We don't do many of the fast rides (like Hyperspace Mountain, IJ, Crush etc) as we suffer from motion sickness. I took a pill and rode them myself last visit which was during the extended 20th celebrations in 2013 and still felt a bit unwell for some time after each so don't feel the need to do them again but would like to redo BTMR. DD happy not to do any of these. However, we do love Star Tours, Phantom Manor, Pirates, Peter Pan etc that also are very popular and would like to do Ratatouille, which is new to us. DD especially, will be keen to try to get a look at Avengers Campus but probably happy if doesn't make the Spiderman ride. I accept I won't have a chance at getting on AA:Flight Force which I presume will be a PP add. We are pretty content to spend much of the time on the walk throughs, looking at the details and enjoying the atmosphere as DH and I remember it as the prettiest of all the resorts, plus there are all the Christmas extras. (We are spoilt - I have visited all the parks, DD all but DLP, and DH all but SDL). In the past, for the US and Japanese parks, I have made a pretty detailed schedule of what to do in what order, maximising FP, and using every tip and trick to avoid the crowds and maximise rides plus quiet time to just soak up the atmosphere. Now, in the world of fee for added extras, I just need to work out the best way to plan our two days so we ride a few faves at least. DH is very against paying any extras given we've paid to get in plus I've already splurged on an onsite hotel for a night but I am open to buying at least one PP, which might just be for me, if it's the only way to get on to something like BTMR. We would never get value of buying an Ultimate pass. Any tips gratefully appreciated. Merci beaucoup.

If you are already staying in the area the day before, what you could try, no guarantees: Go on Sunday evening to the reception at Cheyenne, tell them you will be staying here tomorrow and if you can get your park tickets already. If given already, you can make full use of EMH without getting up super early to go to the hotel first.
I've tried it once and it worked.

I think you are in a good spot, as you are not into the big rides. There is plenty to do and plenty of entertainment. I have good hopes that they will bring back Mickey's Christmas Big Band after being cancelled during Covid. Your husband might be against it, but they have implemented a 15 euro guaranteed access for 2 shows, I assume the Big Band is going to have it as well. You do not need it to get in, but it is a good time saver, definitely during busy times. The value of these is better than for a Premier Access pass, 15 euro for a 2 minute ride or for a 30 minute top quality show.
The new Christmas parade that debuted last year will be back for sure.

If you are into maximising time, Casey's and Hyperion have mobile order.

Which month was your visit in 2013? December is cold, especially when waiting for outdoor shows and parades.

We would not have been able to ride Crush or Ratatouille if I hadn't purchased premium pass for those two rides. We were staying off site, and were there on June 8th.

Thanks, will keep watching what goes down over summer and researching 😁 and thanks for tip re hotel, never hurts to try. Last visit was early May, parks were quiet apart from the Wednesday. We were there 5 days but went up to Paris one day (we had spent hols in Paris previous years as had a friend who lived there for some time) but have packed things into 2 days at other parks like Tokyo. Have gone sightseeing in snow and rain in Helsinki in Feb so understand the cold comment 🥶 I can get DD to say she’ll shout 2 shows pass for us if I book and she pays us back as I bought hotel and tix package for us all and that gets us round DH 😝

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter