• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Prepare me, plez

Luv2Roam

DIS Veteran
Leaving on the 25th for seven nights.
I'm not use to 90+ degree weather yet (and don't like it anyway :p ).
I naturally hibernate in the summer, rather than the winter. Cold I handle much better than heat and humidity.
I also have not worn a pair of shorts in years (due partly to the summer hibernation ;) ) and bugs just LOVE me. Fleas, bees, misquitos, ticks, anything disgusting that bites will be on me.:p Hence, I always keep my legs covered because any biting insect around will be on me in less than a minute. I am their target. And I don't wear perfumes or scents a lot due to this, so that isn't it.
I usually wear light weight cotton pants. I think I will buy some of those short ones so I don't look too odd. (Like anyone would care. :rolleyes: ;) )
And armed with sunscreen (I burn easy too :rolleyes: ) and bug repellant and a spray bottle, I should be okay. You think? I don't want to tote arouns some large mister fan. I'll just throw some face wipes and a spray bottle in the back pack.
I wanted to travel ligfhter in the parks, rather tahn heavier.
Now I remember why I am so happy in the Fall after the first frost. :jester:

I am just back May 11.

Do wear shorts. I found very light weight cargo type ones with velcro pockets at Kmart.
IF you can, wear sleeveless shirts. The lighter the better.

Get a good hat. Plenty of sunscreen and drink plent of water. I had no problem with insect bites. No need to fix your hair, it will be stuck to your head under your hat! Trust me, you will be much cooler with the hat.

Wear comfortable shoes. You do not want blisters on your first day! Bring bandaids or blister medication just in case. I first wore comfy sandles but then changed to tennis shoes and socks.

OH and defintely, bring EXTRA under garments. With the humidity, you will want to change them often!
I brought my large mister fan but found one at the resort that i liked much better. It is a little mini blue fan (no water) that fits into my fanny pack. It is very powerful and standing in line, people looked at me with envy who did not have one! LOL

Just remember to dress comfortably. You will be much happier.

First thing I would pack would be a hat (baseball cap or something with a wide brim) If you are not a shorts wearer I would go for capri pants.

As for bugs look for an insect repellent called "Cutter all family insect repellent towlettes".

Pick up some of those Disney Magic Towels (you can find them at your local disney store or in the parks/resorts as well) . They expand to about the size of a washcloth when you add water to them. They have various Disney characters on them so you can pick who you like. the best way to use them would be to wipe the back of your knees, elbows, neck wrists (all the major pressure points) and you will see the slightest breeze will cool you down.

Air conditioned places. You can basically walk down a good chunk of Main St in air conditioned comfort. just walk through the gift shops most of them connect into each other.

Drinking I usually pick up a bottle of powerade to stave off dehydration, then after I finish it I fill it with water. I even go up to where they sell soda out of those huge tubs ask the CM for some ice fill up my bottle and I'm good to go. Buy those slushy type drinks (except frozen coke) they also cool you down alot too.

I hope this helps you and others.

Swamp Fox (Larry)

Hey there - I just got back on the 9th. I had a terrible time with the bugs - especially watching Illuminations or coming and going from the resort pool (we were at the Poly). You definitely want some bug-be-gone of some kind. However - avoid anything that has any amount of DEET in it. DEET is by far the best bug repellant, but it doesn't allow your skin to breathe properly and sweat. You'd be in mighty bad shape with the heat!!!!

If you feel you must wear capri pants, stick to VERY light fabrics and looser shapes. Almost like a pajama bottom that has been cut off. :) If you can do sleeveless, plan on it - and don't wear anything with a collar. I have a cute Pooh shirt - sleeveless with a polo collar - and noticed it was MUCH hotter than my other sleeveless shirt.

We had strollers - so the misty fan carrying wasn't a big issue. But - we found it to be great in cooling off.

Also - make a loose plan about how you ride rides and eat your meals and whatnot. We tried to eat inside in A/C at every possible time. If we had spent alot of time outside, we would then plan on something inside - like one of the pavillions at Epcot, etc. Of course, we had little ones with us, so beating the heat was important.

Also - waterproof, sweatproof sunscreen is a must. We had all three kinds - gel, lotion and spray and thought the gel was the best in wearability.

Also - everytime I was in the bathroom, or near a fountain, I would splash just a little water on my forehead and neck. It helped!

Have fun and don't be intimidated by the heat. There is so much air conditioning to be had, and Disney really does a great job of getting their lines inside or in the shade. Yup - it's hot, but it isn't unbearable. Of course... I live in Raleigh.... :p

You might want to re-consider toting around the mister-fan. Ours has a strap, so carrying it wasn't a big deal. Without the fan, I would have found any of the open-air shows at MGM to be unbearable. We went the last week of August even though EVERYone advised us not to. We did well, especially because the heat and humidity forces you to slow down...no commando touring with a heat index over 100 every day. I made a point of squirting water in my kids' mouths (and mine and DH) at every opportunity -- don't wait until you feel thirsty. The trip back to the resort for an afternoon swim and shower is always a great idea. The only problem was that we stayed in the pool up to our necks the entire time and didn't get much of a tan. We also tried the ice cubes under the hat routine -- everyone else is dripping wet, so no big deal. Sunglasses are a must because of all the reflective surfaces throughout the parks. My DH did fine wearing long pants and T-shirts in the parks. At that time of the year, you tend to race-walk from A/C to A/C anyway. Take advantage of fastpass, too, so you are not waiting in long, hot queues. The long cellar-like queue of Pirates of the Caribbean was a godsend, so we visited that attraction often. I confess that we skipped the day-time parades, but my kids would rather ride while everyone else is at the parade.

I am thinking about picking up one of these for our trip.
They are neckerchief type thing that you get wet.

"Beat the heat with a cooling tie! This lightweight scarf is filled with polymer crystals that slowly release water in a cooling action.

Soak tie in water and the crystals hydrate, then wrap around your neck and feel the evaporative cooling action--works from hours to several days
Evaporative action can cool blood flow to the brain, reducing heart rate and blood pressure
Great for most activities, Kool Tie® is soft, comfortable and easy to wear
Colorful print patterns add fun and flare to your outdoor adventure
Instructions included "

http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=12836345&prmenbr=8000&cgrfnbr=4501820

I havent used them before and dont know if they would cool you off enough to make up for the extra item of clothing.

I will post the results but it wont be for a few months.

Here's my bug tip: Here in the south, we often lose small children and pets to the huge mosquitos and bugs that fly around here. Someone told us to try wiping our exposed skin with a dryer sheet and it really works! We do it all the time in the summer months. I don't think it's as "toxic" as some of the bug sprays. I'm afraid you're going to need to show a little more skin than you like because of the heat/humidity. I don't like shorts, either, but will wear them in that kind of heat. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter