Preparing for Lost Child?

I need to figure this out as well, because there is no way that my 4 year old is going to wear his magicband the whole time, and those safety tattoos are too expensive. I am going to just get some adhesive name labels, and put it on the inside of their shirts. I saw another mom mention dogtags on the shoelaces, with the phone number, but I don't know where to get those done at!
going to sound dumb but Pet Smart in my area has a machine where you can do it

The old thing was just to write on their hand/arm with Sharpie and when cover with liquid bandage. Does anyone do this anymore?
This was what my wife was planning on doing. But I think that runs the same risk as writing their name on their back. It's easily identifiable. The dog tag thing is probably the best idea. I don't think my son with take his wrist band off, he likes it too much. That's why I was hoping CM's could just scan it and get our reservation info.

It was also helpful to be told that standard procedure for CM's is to take them to baby care. So if they can't get a hold of you, you know where to find them.

I would imagine, unless a child is abducted, that a CM will find them eventually. I wonder what causes a CM to notice a lost child and take action though. My child is young enough he wouldn't walk up to anyone and tell them he lost his parents. I don't think we'll have a problem, though. They're just thoughts.

I distinctly remember a trip we took, I think it was our honeymoon, where I saw a maybe a 6 year old girl, alone, standing in the middle of a crowd screaming at the top of her lungs "I want my mommy." I assume she caught the attention of a CM and was hopefully reunited. But I didn't think much of it then, now that I have a little one, I imagine that would have been just as scary for the parents not knowing where she was.

We ordered silicon bracelets with my husband's cell phone number on them. Our kids wear them on their ankles, and we teach them to tell a cast member if they are lost that "daddy's phone number is on here" and point to it.

Here is the run down from a former CM. I have checked and the system has not changed so information is still current.

1. If your child is lost alert the nearest CM (merchandise is usually your best bet so kiosk workers or shop workers doing greeting)

2. Have at least 1 adult stay with that CM. Running and telling every CM you see helps no one. Can't tell you how many times CM find the kid but now mom and dad are lost. Radios only work so fast.

3. Do not rely on the information on a MB. It is a last resort and very few CMs can access the phone number on file on your hotel reservation. It is much faster if your child has your phone number on a tattoo they can show or a dog tag on their sneakers or a runner ID bracelet with all contact information. CMs can not touch children's clothes and really aren't suppose to touch kids with out parents for liability reasons. That means do not hide the number on the back of a birthday button or under their shirt. It looks to suspicious to have a CM reaching down a kids shirt to take the safety pin off.

4. Official policy is children under 10 go to baby care and children 10 and over go to Guest Relations. With that said many CMs will not go to this step until 10-15 minutes has passed. I would say 9 out of 10 kids are reunited with their parents in those first 15 minutes so it saves everyone a trip up front if they don't go straight to that step.

5. CMs are not suppose to hold kids hand or hug or whatever but CMs are not heartless so if a little kid presents their hand or is crying and needs comfort CMs will break the rules to make sure you little one is okay and try to console them.

6. The best advice I give on what to tell your little ones to do if they are lost is to go to a roaming security officer (point them out at bag check) or a CM at a register. I use to say the ID tag but at DHS that gets confusing. Easiest to just tell them to go to an Ice Cream cart or merchandise location and tell the person at the register they are lost. That way they always know they are speaking with a Disney CM.

This was what my wife was planning on doing. But I think that runs the same risk as writing their name on their back. It's easily identifiable. The dog tag thing is probably the best idea. I don't think my son with take his wrist band off, he likes it too much. That's why I was hoping CM's could just scan it and get our reservation info.

It was also helpful to be told that standard procedure for CM's is to take them to baby care. So if they can't get a hold of you, you know where to find them.

I would imagine, unless a child is abducted, that a CM will find them eventually. I wonder what causes a CM to notice a lost child and take action though. My child is young enough he wouldn't walk up to anyone and tell them he lost his parents. I don't think we'll have a problem, though. They're just thoughts.

I distinctly remember a trip we took, I think it was our honeymoon, where I saw a maybe a 6 year old girl, alone, standing in the middle of a crowd screaming at the top of her lungs "I want my mommy." I assume she caught the attention of a CM and was hopefully reunited. But I didn't think much of it then, now that I have a little one, I imagine that would have been just as scary for the parents not knowing where she was.

CMs are good at guessing age (it is part of the job when you work attractions) so for under 7s they try to pair them up with someone. If 3 year old is running around and clearly doesn't have a pair then they go over and try to chat with them like he buddy how are you, have you rode anything fun today, do you know where mommy or daddy are, can you point them out that kind of stuff. Over 7s it is so hard because they are allowed to wander on their own. In that case most CMs look for that look on their face that says I'm lost and freaking out. A lot of CMs are parents as well so they use their parent instincts to tell if it is just a kid on their own or a lost child.

We wrote our phone number on his shoe with a sharpie. He did know our numbers at 4 but I was afraid he might get scared and forget. We told him if we got lost to show his shoe to a CM ( we made sure to point out who they were) and they would find us. We always told them if they could not see us to stop and be still and look for a CM. My best tip for keeping up with a kid is to know 100% of the time who is watching the kid. Lost kids happen a lot when one person thinks another is watching and nobody is. We had a rule of assigning one adult to watch wild child and if that adult took his or her eyes off of him we would verbally name someone to watch him. During really busy times like exiting at closing, make him ride in a stroller or put him between two adults and both hold his hands. We have friends that are going soon and they bought one of the locator watches for their little guys. Not a fan of leashes but would absolutely use one if my child was a runner.

If you search on Amazon hospital wristband or hospital bracelet you will find all sorts of cheap disposable or reusable options that your child can't remove. You can write any info you wish on it.

a dog tag on their sneakers or a runner ID bracelet with all contact information.
If you search on Amazon hospital wristband or hospital bracelet you will find all sorts of cheap disposable or reusable options that your child can't remove. You can write any info you wish on it.

Dog tag on shoelaces or bracelet seem like good ideas where info is noticeable, but not blatantly obvious to everyone in the park (like printing their name on the back of their shirt).

Dog tag on shoelaces or bracelet seem like good ideas where info is noticeable, but not blatantly obvious to everyone in the park (like printing their name on the back of their shirt).

The dog tag and bracelet are always great because they are things kids can do without touch being needed or a verbal need. CMs see a kid presenting their shoe and they know they want help tying their shoe or they are trying to show you something.

We have a road ID bracelet for my daughter. She keeps it on her ankle and it's difficult for her to get off without taking off her shoe. She doesn't mind wearing it.

The ID has her name and our phone numbers. The text is very small so I'm not worried that anyone will see it without actually looking for it (I'm not that worried about anyone seeing it in general, though).

I heard that CMs will not look inside clothing for contact information.

We have a road ID bracelet for my daughter. She keeps it on her ankle and it's difficult for her to get off without taking off her shoe. She doesn't mind wearing it.

The ID has her name and our phone numbers. The text is very small so I'm not worried that anyone will see it without actually looking for it (I'm not that worried about anyone seeing it in general, though).

I would second this recommendation. Great company. I actually have one that I wear when I run, just in case the worst would happen. They have two formats. You can get an ID with the information engraved and that is all. You can also purchase one that has an interactive profile (yearly subscription cost). With the second, there is basic information on the ID. If you flip it over, there is a PIN number that can be used to pull up a profile with further information.
Lori

Yep CMs can not look inside clothing. It opens up a can of worms that isn't worth it i.e. a lost kid telling people a CM touched them under their shirt and then people assume the worst instead of understanding it was to just take a button off or whatever. same for why club CMs are not allowed to help with toileting on the cruises. Too easy for a misunderstanding.

Attachments

• safety tats.jpg
    safety tats.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 5
We are headed to WDW in a week with an almost 3 year old. He likes to run and play "have daddy chase me to places where I'm not supposed to go."

Teach him that this is not okay, that he must stay with you and walk nicely. Running and playing may be just fine in your own yard, but not in a store and not in an amusement park like this.

We did the temp tattoos that you write your information on, we did it on the inside of their wrist so it is easy to see. They lasted 5 days.

You are already planning for an absconder? There is something inherently wrong with that I think you need a leash so he does not go missing

Do you buy car insurance? Or do you believe infants and toddlers should be in a car seat? Are you planning on getting in a wreck? Of course not, but obviously it is smarter to think of possibilities and be prepared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter