Preparing for Nicole, Rain tips, and other advice!

Watching the local morning news and they are still saying the water in the Bahamas is warm enough for it to strengthen to a Cat 1 hurricane before landfall. It brings to mind Hurricane Wilma from 2005, which went from a tropical storm to a Cat 5 in 24 hours. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that it stays a tropical storm. I am so concerned about the people who are still dealing with flooding and damage from Ian, especially in the Daytona Beach and surrounding areas.

Another thing with clothes. Wear shorts or at most a Capri length pants. You don’t want to be wading through ankle deep water with full length pants. They act like a sponge and just wick the water right up your legs. It’s better if your raincoat or poncho completely covers your clothes and any parts of your arms or legs that are not covered by your rainwear are bare and can easily be dried off. It’s much nicer to stop in a rest room and dry off skin with some paper towels than to have to walk around in wet clothes.

Also, if you have a belt that you don’t mind getting wet, you can wear it over a poncho to help keep it from blowing as much. I have a vinyl one that I would never wear as an actual belt, but it works great over my rain poncho.

Our trip is the 10th -19th. Since we are supposed to fly in on Thursday, what happens if SW cancels our flight? I've never had a flight cancelled.

Our trip is the 10th -19th. Since we are supposed to fly in on Thursday, what happens if SW cancels our flight? I've never had a flight cancelled.
That depends, if you can get out say Friday, you would call Disney and move your trip to start a day later. They are usually very accommodating, you could also leave today and add 2 days….

Personally I would call southwest now, and see if you can get out early Friday, I think Friday looks way better then Thursday. You could also wait till tomorrow, but by Wednesday everyone on that flight that thought ahead will have moved and getting on a Friday flight will be harder.

Sorry I want to add this is what I would do, but the weather can shift, Thursday May be ok for flights, we just don’t know yet….

Noon news is showing the storm will be a hurricane prior to landfall according to the most recent update from the hurricane center. :sad: There is still so much flooding and debris from Ian that it could be very dangerous even if the storm is only a Cat 1. Stay safe everyone.

We just made the decision to cancel our week-long mostly-resort DVC trip, which was to have started tomorrow. We shifted gears and re-booked for early-February already. My AP is active until 3/6, so I won’t have to renew before the trip, and I was able to change our other 4-day ticket to early-February at no cost, since I guess it’s the same pricing “season.”

I’ve cancelled and re-scheculed more WDW trips in the last three years than I‘ve taken!

Bonus: I get to plan a new trip that’s just three months away, and everyone knows planning is more than half the fun! Now I’ll confuse the dog by putting the suitcases away. ☺️

Southwest has a travel advisory
Based on the forecasted weather conditions for the following cities and dates below, our scheduled service may be disrupted (flights may be delayed, diverted, and/or cancelled):

Monday-Wednesday, November 7-9

Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Nassau, Bahamas (NAS)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

We had a trip where it rained most of the day for multiple days. So we either had to sit in the room or go out in the rain. We came prepared, so we went out in the rain. We actually had our rain suits with, so a rain coat and rain pants. I would've been pretty miserable without those rain pants. I'm not a fan of ponchos, as they fly all over the place and just seem to make a mess and don't really keep me dry. I also had my Teva sandals and they worked pretty well.

I usually wear a baseball had in the park and I found this to be most beneficial during this trip. I put on my had and then my rain coat and put the hood up on my rain coat. The hood kept my head dry and the brim of my hat did a decent job at keeping the rain out of my face.

We had a trip where it rained most of the day for multiple days. So we either had to sit in the room or go out in the rain. We came prepared, so we went out in the rain. We actually had our rain suits with, so a rain coat and rain pants. I would've been pretty miserable without those rain pants. I'm not a fan of ponchos, as they fly all over the place and just seem to make a mess and don't really keep me dry. I also had my Teva sandals and they worked pretty well.

I usually wear a baseball had in the park and I found this to be most beneficial during this trip. I put on my had and then my rain coat and put the hood up on my rain coat. The hood kept my head dry and the brim of my hat did a decent job at keeping the rain out of my face.
We contemplated braving the rain before cancelling our trip tomorrow, but this storm is going to be fierce with really high winds, not just your run–of-the-mill showers. We just don’t want to have to deal with it.

We contemplated braving the rain before cancelling our trip tomorrow, but this storm is going to be fierce with really high winds, not just your run–of-the-mill showers. We just don’t want to have to deal with it.
I should've noted that our rainy trip was just the average Orlando rain with a little wind. It wasn't hurricane/tropical storm wind. In that type of a situation, we may have gone with the "more time in the room" scenario! :)

Do be aware if there is lightening in the area outdoor attractions will close so if you find yourself in a spot of good weather I would prioritize those.
Luckily out side of MK they are all indoor rides, ToT x2, RnR x2, rise, TSMM, GOTG, Sorian, ratatouille, so at least there is that.

But the weather forecast keeps getting worse and worse….

We just made the decision to cancel our week-long mostly-resort DVC trip, which was to have started tomorrow. We shifted gears and re-booked for early-February already. My AP is active until 3/6, so I won’t have to renew before the trip, and I was able to change our other 4-day ticket to early-February at no cost, since I guess it’s the same pricing “season.”

I’ve cancelled and re-scheculed more WDW trips in the last three years than I‘ve taken!

Bonus: I get to plan a new trip that’s just three months away, and everyone knows planning is more than half the fun! Now I’ll confuse the dog by putting the suitcases away. ☺️

You were able to change your DVC dates without the points going into holding? That's great!

I'm flying down tomorrow and leaving Friday for a 3 night DVC trip. If it could reschedule that would be great.

The only hold up is Spirit. I booked my ticket using rewards points. I just called them and they said as if right now the storm isn't affecting my flights so I would probably lose the points.

We'll see how it goes later on today. If I end up going I'll go with the flow so to speak 🤣

I’m actually starting to worry a bit about flight delays (that can snowball into cancellations). Our trip is short, Thurs-Sun (only 3 park days), so even losing a day makes things tricky.

I realize this is premature but would WDW allow moving a trip out a few months this close to arrival? I realize we’d probably lose the MVMCP $.
I just got a notice from UA that flights may be delayed or cancelled due to Nicole. No changes or delays yet for me, I’m due to arrive Fri.

I was told by guest services in MK that unused party tickets retain their value and can be used toward any type of ticket at WDW in the future.

If SW cancels your flight you either get a refund (and in that case you are entitled to cash back if you want it) or you get rebooked. Rebooking is a race against everyone else on your flight. The airline might rebook you when they cancel the flight but it could be to something a couple days out that you find unsuitable leaves you scrambling to see if they can get you an earlier flight. Be proactive! Contact SW immediately if that happens and tell them what flights you want instead (look them up as if you were buying tickets so you will know what flights are open).

If your flight is cancelled and there are no acceptable alternatives, I’m sorry but the end result of that is a cancelled trip :(

Last edited:
I would have canceled our trip during Hurricane Ian, but we were already in Florida. For those of you heading to Disney or already there, stay safe and as dry as you can. The one silver lining after Ian was the most glorious weather for the last four days of our trip.

someone told me to look at WFTV9, they said it is best for Orlando weather, and looking at the forecast there makes it seem like it will not be that bad..... trying to have hope here as my plane is due to get in at 6 something Thursday evening
All of our stations are pretty good when it comes to the tropics. The others you can check out are WESH, WKMG, and WOFL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter