Prepping meals/Frozen meals ?

This semester we will see her one month into the semester, March during spring break, not sure about April, IN May move out. About once a month . She's ok with the other meals , I just thought it would be nice to send some homemade meals so she has something on those late night classes. I'll look for the pasta pouches, she will love that! Hard boiled eggs would stink up the dorm-lol! She got a notice that a roommate would be showing up but never did.

I just think its nice to send some homemade meals for the 3 days a week.

To those that say let them figure it , whats wrong with wanting to do something nice for our kids-Gees!
I completely understand. I had thought about doing the same but my son's required meal plan gives him plenty of food and his schedule allows him to eat at regular times. However, I do send snacks, and I cut up cheese and make salami rolls occasionally. As parents I think it makes us feel better knowing our kids have some of the comforts of home. And anyway, my mom sent me home with left overs well into adulthood. It's what moms do.

It doesn't sound like you will see her regularly enough to stock her freezer to handle that many dorm meals. A dorm freezer is pretty small but the fridge portion is generally pretty generous. I would look into a grocery delivery service and look for easy prep/no-cook options. I don't like to eat big dinners too late and live alone so I will make lunch my main meal then have lighter options like cereal with milk and a cut up fruit on top. If she has access to a toaster you can add bagels, toast, english muffins. The other easy option is sandwiches. Tortillas, deli meat, honey mustard and sliced cheese with a side of baby carrots. While certainly not the healthiest option you can do the cup of ramen, Spaghetti-Os and canned soup with crackers.

I haven't heard of a school these days that only has a full service dine in only meal plan with no other option such as a sandwich or quick service eatery available. Heck, even my hick town college in 1993 had a sandwich shop that accepted the meal plan.

This semester we will see her one month into the semester, March during spring break, not sure about April, IN May move out. About once a month . She's ok with the other meals , I just thought it would be nice to send some homemade meals so she has something on those late night classes. I'll look for the pasta pouches, she will love that! Hard boiled eggs would stink up the dorm-lol! She got a notice that a roommate would be showing up but never did.

To those that say let them figure it , whats wrong with wanting to do something nice for our kids-Gees!

When I read your list of meals the first thing I thought when you said "shrimp" is Ugh that will stink up the microwave and the kitchen for all the kids to have to deal with :scared:
I would send frozen breakfast muffins (eggs, cheese, veggies cooked in muffin tins and then frozen) or frozen breakfast sandwiches, pasta dishes, soups, chilis (can always do a white bean chicken instead of beef).

I would also have her check to see if they do have some sort of bagged meal option. My dd will be able to grab a meal but only between certain morning hours. The only issue with that though is if she grabs a lunch (or dinner) she won't be allowed in the dining hall during that meal later in the day.
Also, there are a few local places that participate in the meal plan (by using the "school bucks") that will deliver, maybe your dd has something like that and you can add school bucks to her meal plan.

I don't see sending a few home cooked meals any different than sending any other type of care package. Besides I'd rather send my kids some good food once in awhile than a box full candy and junk to clutter up their dorm room. Sure she can figure out her meal issues on her own and doesn't need you to send anything, but that can be said for anything and everything parents send to their kids at school.

Not sure what the dorm allows, but if able, I would buy her a freezer like this. We have the same one in our camper and it really comes in handy as the one on top the small fridge in our camper barely holds anything.

We pre-cook and freeze most meals when we camp at Disney. Definitely cook everything before freezing, and Ziploc into individual size portions for a college student. Almost anything can be frozen after it's prepared, then microwaved when needed. There are only a handful of foods that don't freeze well.

I agree with the others that said shrimp would be too smelly. As yummy as it is, any seafood is going to stink up the place.

Taco meat is a standard for us. It can be heated up to put on a taco salad, in a tortilla shell, or crunchy taco shell. Just have her keep shredded cheese in her fridge. We also make both beef and chicken enchiladas, and freeze them individually, for our Disney trips.

We also grill a bunch of hamburgers at home and freeze those. Just pop in the microwave and add whatever you like to it. I don't like having to deal with any mess while on vacation, but still want that grilled taste.

Marinated chicken breasts or tenderloins also freeze and heat well. Very tasty when reheated.

Lasagna, spaghetti, stuffed shells ... all do well. Since she can't have a crock pot, maybe make her favorites in the crock pot at home and freeze in portion sized bags. I have done this with roast w/potatoes, carrots, and onions and it reheated well.

I would personally avoid making and freezing soup since that is something that can be purchased canned and save freezer space. May not be homemade, but there are some very good ones out there.

Chinese dumplings. Google the recipe. You can literally make 100 frozen ones for less than $10. Then she can boil 10 at a time, and doesn't even need defrost time.
Freeze cooked rice / pasta in small ziplock bags. Then separately freeze up individual portion of steamed veggies or potato; tomato sauce w/ meat; pull pork / stewed beef...whatever you can do. She can microwave any combo.

Why do people have to respond with comments that have absolutely NOTHING to do with the OPs original post? She asked for ideas for freezer food for HER kid. She DID NOT ask for parenting advice on "letting them figure it out"!

Happens to every thread and I think it's actually rude of people. Yes it is an Internet board. But people should realize there are actual people like themselves with real feelings on the other end. Just because you CAN post whatever you want doesn't always mean you should. Why can't people just be nice?

I'm 15 years past dorm cooking. But by my Senior year I was doing at most one meal a day in the dining hall and making the other 2 myself.

Does she have a kitchen on her floor? Scrambled eggs with add ins were my food staple. Eggs and salsa last and are quick to cook--even in the microwave. I would do the same with soups. My grilled cheese maker was my friend.

As for freezing, I just did batches of both chicken and ground beef last week. I add butter to the ground beef--I find the extra fat keeps it moist for defrosting and reheating. I find it's easier to freeze the individual parts of a meal. That way I can always vary it up--I always have 90 second rice and steamer vegetables around. Maybe send her with something shelf stable so her freezer isn't bursting.

I'm 15 years past dorm cooking. But by my Senior year I was doing at most one meal a day in the dining hall and making the other 2 myself.

Does she have a kitchen on her floor? Scrambled eggs with add ins were my food staple. Eggs and salsa last and are quick to cook--even in the microwave. I would do the same with soups. My grilled cheese maker was my friend.

As for freezing, I just did batches of both chicken and ground beef last week. I add butter to the ground beef--I find the extra fat keeps it moist for defrosting and reheating. I find it's easier to freeze the individual parts of a meal. That way I can always vary it up--I always have 90 second rice and steamer vegetables around. Maybe send her with something shelf stable so her freezer isn't bursting.
No kitchen on her floor. I only wanted to make a few meals for the nights she has late night classes which she gets out at 10pm, She takes the school tram back to the dorms. I figure prepped meals so she can she go to the dorm, pull it out , warm it up and eat. Walking across the dorm area to go eat by herself that late at night, I know she just wants to get back to the dorm. It wont be so bad when the time changes and more people are out. Theres frozen food but sometimes a person wants healthy food. I just offered since we will be driving out there. The students in the dorms have to provide their own fridge and microwave(that's all that's allowed). Luckily right now they haven't replaced her old room mate so she has the room to herself.

I cook and freeze meals all the time for DH to take to work. I use the Rubbermaid that is made to reuse or toss. Shrimp does not freeze very well in meals but just about everything else you mentioned does.

I cook and freeze meals all the time for DH to take to work. I use the Rubbermaid that is made to reuse or toss. Shrimp does not freeze very well in meals but just about everything else you mentioned does.
Yeah no shrimp. She says she will wait until spring break for my butter garlic shrimp. I told her it would smell up her room, microwave and probably the entire floor-lol! I'm gonna do chicken with roasted veggies, chicken stir fye? and a pasta . Plus mini frozen pizza and burritos. Just a few meals for the day she has a 10pm class if she's hungry or she can save it for the day she cant make it to food court

How many meals does she have per week? My son, who also lives in a dorm, chose the meal plan with only 10 dining hall meals per week. He also has flex cash and together that covers 14 meals per week. On the days he has late classes and no time to have supper at the dining hall, he flips his meals around - so on late night class days, he gets up early and goes to the dining hall to eat a "real" breakfast with eggs and meat, yogurt, etc., then has lunch at the dining hall - and then after his evening class, he eats cereal, a banana and a granola bar in his room.

On "regular" days, he eats the cereal/banana/granola bar meal (I stock him up on cereal & bars and he buys milk and bananas at the on-campus convenience store with flex) breakfast in his room and then eats the remaining meals in the dining hall - or picks up something at one of the chain restaurants in the student union with flex $.

This was all his decision and I have to say, I am a bit surprised and a tiny bit proud that he came up with it. (Does that sound awful?? ) He's not a kid who likes to get up any earlier than he really needs to .... and shock of all shock, he recently said that he actually LIKES being up earlier and not having to rush. LOL. Wonders never cease. ;) It's so exciting to see our kids mature!

My son used to laugh at the bags of soup I'd send to college with him, but he always appreciated having home cooked meals. I'd make batches of chili, gumbo, and other soups, and freeze in foodsaver bags. He could stick the bag in the fridge to thaw the night before, or in the morning, then pour into a bowl to microwave when he got hungry. Other things I would freeze in pans for him to microwave, such as lasagna, enchilda's, taco meat, etc. I even bought him a crockpot, so that he could just dump everything in, turn it on, then food would be ready when he got home in the afternoon.

When I would freeze things in pans, such as lasagna, I'd line the pan with heavy duty aluminum foil, and freeze. Once frozen into the shape of the pan, I'd take it out and seal it in a foodsaver bag.

I took my DD her meals and she was so appreciative. She even had two surprises each for us. She handed me a lil carrot cake and a Hershey's with almond candy bar . For hubby she gave him a lil banana cake and a payday. It was her way of telling us thanks and showing appreciation :)

It worked out because she was hoping to do sophomore experience (special living theme) in the dorms next year, but her two choices are only in apartments with kitchen. No apartment without kitchens are offered. It will cost more than the dorms but she wont need a meal plan. Todays meals got her excited about having a kitchen and being able to have more control over her food choices and not having to go t the dining hall. She;s not a cook but excited to learn and learn how to meal prep. I never thought she would be excited about a stove and oven-lol!

Thank you to everyone who shred ideas :)

My DD really loved living in her own apartment--like yours, she didn't really cook, but was interested in learning. Consider getting her a good, basic cookbook and having her start practicing over the summer, to give her some confidence. There's a ton of recipes on Pinterest for one or two servings of something. But, I also like a cookbook for stuff like "how to hardboil an egg" or other simple things that I should know, but don't.

My DD22 asked for a smallish crockpot for Christmas, so she could make larger meals sometimes.

I also hand-wrote each of my children a "Mom's cookbook", which has my recipes for roast chicken, snickerdoodles, and other family favorites. I put in extra tips and a few silly comments--like, it has my mom's famous piecrust recipe, but then I follow with the confession that I never really mastered it, so I used store-bought crust.

Having a full kitchen should really help your DD if she has late-night classes again.

P.S. I wanted to add--I don't see anything wrong with helping a child by bringing the occasional meal or treat. Now, if Mom is rearranging her schedule to cook for the child every night? Yeah, there's a problem. But just trying to ease her load a bit? That's what moms do! My DD's out now--graduated, working, living 800 miles from home. I still send her the occasional care package. You know, just because I'm thinking of her and want her to have a little treat now and again.

My DD really loved living in her own apartment--like yours, she didn't really cook, but was interested in learning. Consider getting her a good, basic cookbook and having her start practicing over the summer, to give her some confidence. There's a ton of recipes on Pinterest for one or two servings of something. But, I also like a cookbook for stuff like "how to hardboil an egg" or other simple things that I should know, but don't.

My DD22 asked for a smallish crockpot for Christmas, so she could make larger meals sometimes.

I also hand-wrote each of my children a "Mom's cookbook", which has my recipes for roast chicken, snickerdoodles, and other family favorites. I put in extra tips and a few silly comments--like, it has my mom's famous piecrust recipe, but then I follow with the confession that I never really mastered it, so I used store-bought crust.

Having a full kitchen should really help your DD if she has late-night classes again.
I'm so glad you hand wrote it. I have my moms personal cookbook with lots at of recipes in her hand writing and I treasure it.

Love the Mom's Cookbook. I'm crafty so maybe I need to start one up. I always thought of doing one when she gets married but I guess a college one with smaller portions for now and a family meal size one for the future. The college one would be quick simple meals and maybe a few of her favorite recipes I make that have a few more steps

Love the Mom's Cookbook. I'm crafty so maybe I need to start one up. I always thought of doing one when she gets married but I guess a college one with smaller portions for now and a family meal size one for the future. The college one would be quick simple meals and maybe a few of her favorite recipes I make that have a few more steps

I didn't do smaller-sized recipes, because I don't cook them. We're a family of 6! Plus, my DD is a pescatarian, and I don't have a lot of fish or meatless recipes. Besides, I figure it doesn't hurt for her to have my fancy lasagna recipe, whether she makes it as-is or alters it to leave out the meat.

The cookbooks I got from Ollie's--it's a markdown-type store, like Tuesday Morning. They have a fun cookbook section. I managed to get 4 different blank cookbooks over a period of months--I got the first one for DD, then gradually the other kids asked for them. You could easily make your own in a 3-ring binder--that's what I was going to do originally. And I started out thinking I would type up the recipes--certainly, it would have been easier to make the three follow-on books, but I find I like hand-written recipes. Much more personal, and it just felt weird putting in the extra Mom tips when I typed.

Oh, if you go the binder route, splurge for page protectors.

I haven't heard of a school these days that only has a full service dine in only meal plan with no other option such as a sandwich or quick service eatery available. Heck, even my hick town college in 1993 had a sandwich shop that accepted the meal plan.

All the schools that I am familiar with have many quick service options, but they are not part of the meal plan.

You can use “flex dollars” to buy food at those places, but you cannot use one of your meal “swipes”. “Meals” can only be eaten in the cafeteria.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter