Preserve your tattoos after death

In the Nazi extermination camps during WWII, guards in the camps removed particularly attractive tattoos from the bodies of gassed victims and made the tattooed skin into lamp shades, wallets, etc. I saw a couple of examples of this in a museum in Germany and that's all I could think of when I read this. I'm pretty grossed out.

That came to my mind too, but I wasn't brave enough to post it. And how the Nazi's used tattoos to identify people in the concentration camps. That association is one reason I am baffled how anyone can consider a tattoo art anymore.

That came to my mind too, but I wasn't brave enough to post it. And how the Nazi's used tattoos to identify people in the concentration camps. That association is one reason I am baffled how anyone can consider a tattoo art anymore.
Because there is a definite difference between horrible people using them to identify people and actual artists doing the work on willing participants.

Of all the people I've lost in my life I don't think it's ever once occurred to me to wish I had their tattoo to remember them by. It's not even something I would think of when thinking of them and I can't imagine my kids giving a second thought to mine when the time comes. It's morbid and a little narcissistic IMO.

To each their own, but if someone left me their tattoo, I would not accept it.

Because there is a definite difference between horrible people using them to identify people and actual artists doing the work on willing participants.

Same situation as the swastika. A different use for a few years erased all the difference for some people.

Uh, pretty big difference there don't ya think? :sad2:

Same situation as the swastika. A different use for a few years erased all the difference for some people.
There is a clear difference to me.

In some cultures tattoos are an honor or right of passage and have been for hundreds of years before the Holocaust.

I'm not a fan of tattoos so there's no way I'm hanging some dead inked skin on my wall. Just gross.

That would be quite the conversation piece. "What's that you've got hanging over the fireplace?" "Oh, that's Dad."

Uh....no thanks. A photo will do nicely.

There is a clear difference to me.

In some cultures tattoos are an honor or right of passage and have been for hundreds of years before the Holocaust.

There is (or was in 1979) a historic display at Dachau on the use of tattoos at the Concentration Camp. I guess I was affected greatly by that because until then I really didn't have strong feels about tattoos.

I was going to compare this to the current controversy over the Confederate flag and did some poking around and on one website about the flag, was this statement that probably sums up our different views on tattoos based on our different experiences:
"First, we must understand that symbols like the Confederate Flag have no intrinsic meaning. The meanings symbols carry is that which humans attach from their own learning. Thus, any viewer of a symbol is free to assign it any range of meanings. The symbol itself, then is constant, but the value symbolized is not."

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~class/am483_97/projects/sarratt/intro.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter