• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

President Bush Outlines his Four Point Goals for Oil!

DawnCt1

<font color=red>I had to wonder what "holiday" he
The country needs to boost our oil production to meet energy demands. Here are the four points.
Lift the ban on off shore drilling which has been in place since 1981.
Allow for shale oil recovery on government lands.
Open up ANWR.
Clear the way for the expeditious building of refineries.

The ball is now in Congress's court. Lets see if they will step up to the plate for the American people!

It was a comprehensive, detailed address. The links don't seem available yet

:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

I really hope it all happens. And I love that it's being done now so we can have a voting record of those who don't want to help America. :thumbsup2

I really hope it all happens. And I love that it's being done now so we can have a voting record of those who don't want to help America. :thumbsup2

This is something that the liberals/democrats and Bush haters love to ignore.

I really hope we just dont need oil. Air powered cars are the future! Look it up on youtube!

A solution in regards to transportation may be closer than previously thought possible, but we are decades away from weaning ourselves off of all the other ways in which we depend on oil. So in the meantime, we will need that source of energy independence as we transition to finding other methods.

And I love that it's being done now so we can have a voting record of those who don't want to help America. :thumbsup2

Yep...I agree. Believe it or not, we liberals/democrats and Bush haters all vote as well and this Floridian wants to see who's willing to put short term oil production and old technologies in front of the ever growing Florida tourism/agriculture industry. I'm sure that at least in my state, you'll get a bipartisan "Hell no!" from our state legislature, regardless of whether flip-flopping Gov. Crist desperately wants to be John McCain's running mate or not.

I really hope we just dont need oil. Air powered cars are the future! Look it up on youtube!

Are you getting rid of your car soon? Do you really think that most Americans can get rid of their vehicles in the next five years? Even if everyone were "gifted" with an "air powered car" tomorrow, we would still need oil for heating our homes, particularly in the Northeast, every synthetic product you can think of, plastics, pharmaceuticals, etc. etc. We need to recover our own oil.

I'm sure that at least in my state, you'll get a bipartisan "Hell no!" from our state legislature, regardless of whether flip-flopping Gov. Crist desperately wants to be John McCain's running mate or not.

Oh it's not just Crist, Looks like Martinez has his eye on some sort of prize also!

Senator Martinez called for increasing the development of offshore oil and natural gas resources and energy conservation as part of a long term solution to the nation’s energy crisis. The senator met with drivers of the United Parcel Service (UPS) at their Orlando loading facility to talk about short-term and long-term solutions addressing the U.S. energy crisis, including the need for more domestic exploration, conservation and use of new fuel technologies.

Oh yes, most of these talking points would accomplish a lot. The federal government's own experts say that more domestic drilling would do little and then only after 10 years or so.

The only point I won't comment on is shale oil recovery.

Oh yes, most of these talking points would accomplish a lot. The federal government's own experts say that more domestic drilling would do little and then only after 10 years or so.

The only point I won't comment on is shale oil recovery.

Even if it was that far out before being accessible for consumption, is that really a legitimate reason to put it off any longer?? Bush didn't just start pushing for this alternative, but he never had the support to pursue it. Just where would we be today if 7 years ago it had been given the green light??

Yep...I agree. Believe it or not, we liberals/democrats and Bush haters all vote as well and this Floridian wants to see who's willing to put short term oil production and old technologies in front of the ever growing Florida tourism/agriculture industry. I'm sure that at least in my state, you'll get a bipartisan "Hell no!" from our state legislature, regardless of whether flip-flopping Gov. Crist desperately wants to be John McCain's running mate or not.

:worship:

Even if it was that far out before being accessible for consumption, is that really a legitimate reason to put it off any longer?? Bush didn't just start pushing for this alternative, but he never had the support to pursue it. Just where would we be today if 7 years ago it had been given the green light??
I understand that these things might need to be done and that it might help A LITTLE on down the road. I understand that with supplies being what they are that even some distasteful things might need to be done.

What I don't buy is this nonsense about helping the American people. This just feeds into worry about paying for gas right now. Nice little campaign nonsense is all this is.

Oh it's not just Crist, Looks like Martinez has his eye on some sort of prize also!

Senator Martinez called for increasing the development of offshore oil and natural gas resources and energy conservation as part of a long term solution to the nation’s energy crisis. The senator met with drivers of the United Parcel Service (UPS) at their Orlando loading facility to talk about short-term and long-term solutions addressing the U.S. energy crisis, including the need for more domestic exploration, conservation and use of new fuel technologies.

Should of figured as much. Mel's one of Dubya's boys, serving as his Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. Obviously, poor Mel's looking for a little face time with the media. He'll get his come election time.

The fact remains that we only produce about 1/4 of our consumption. We can temporarily increase domestic production, but it will have little effect on the world market. We are the highest consuming nation, but we aren't the only consuming nation. OPEC pricing has a much greater effect on pump prices than any one thing we can accomplish domestically.

Supply and demand - that will always effect pricing, and the U.S. can only influence either of those factors in small ways.

And the pp is right - it is not just what we are putting in our cars and SUVs....everything from plastic wrap to cosmetics have petroleum-based components.

Should there be careful and diligent use of our existing available resources? - sure. But don't fool yourself into thinking that opening up ANWAR or more off-shore drilling will have a dramatic increase in the price your pay at the pump. World-wide demand is just too high.....and is only going to continue to increase until we start to utilize alternative fuel and energy technologies.

I understand that these things might need to be done and that it might help A LITTLE on down the road. I understand that with supplies being what they are that even some distasteful things might need to be done.

What I don't buy is this nonsense about helping the American people. This just feeds into worry about paying for gas right now. Nice little campaign nonsense is all this is.

I think it will help more than a little, but I don't think it's just about the future. The Saudis are realizing, and probably too late, that their greed is driving us to independence by a combination of inovention and using our own resources. I don't see anyone claiming this as an overnight solution, but they might be motivated to want to reassure and slow us down by stopping the bleeding.

I strongly doubt that your state's drilling off the coast would keep me from coming to DisneyWorld. Can you tell me how drilling off the coast would really effect your tourism?

I think they should've done this in the 80's. While it may only give us about 25% of the oil we need to consume, every little bit will help. This is not something that will happen overnight, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

I strongly doubt that your state's drilling off the coast would keep me from coming to DisneyWorld. Can you tell me how drilling off the coast would really effect your tourism?

Perhaps they imagine a scenerio 5-10 years from now in which the economy has completely tanked and we are in a true depression, and then all the homeless people will thumb a ride and set up camps on those pristine beaches.:confused3

The future looks very promising in new technology and solutions, but will not see that for quite some time. In the interim, we HAVE to use the resources we have at hand. This doesn't mean research stops, we continue to fund and encourage and think and tinker with ideas.

Help me here . . . how many of the Bush years was there a Republican majority in the House and Senate? How some folks (not saying it's this poster) want to put the onus on the other party.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter