Presidential Address to Congress

There are some economists who were saying over the weekend that if the President didn't say he was going to nationalize banks it would cause a drop. (I heard that on MTP)

I still think a lot of it has to do with the fact that they know the gravy train is over. They're going to be monitored and regulated like never before, and that's going to eliminate the kind of money they're used to making.

Nouriel Roubini no doubt:scared1:

I know that the jobs we have in our company depend heavily on computer knowledge. We could hire kids out of HS to do some of our jobs, but they don't have the skills they need and we can't afford to take the time to train them. If the public schools have better technology programs, it might open up more good jobs for people who don't necessarily want to go to college.

Again, I agree with you. Unfortunately supplying schools with the newest technology does not go the root of the problems with our education system. Throwing money to schools for new tools and new programs does not fix the problems that already exist.

Nouriel Roubini no doubt:scared1:

Al Hunt from Bloomberg and Becky Quick from "Squawk Box" were on-I honestly can't recall which one said it-but I do remember that the managing editor of the Financial Times said it on Real Time with Bill Maher.

Again, I agree with you. Unfortunately supplying schools with the newest technology does not go the root of the problems with our education system. Throwing money to schools for new tools and new programs does not fix the problems that already exist.

I don't think that the broadband initiative is the only thing the administration plans to do regarding education. It was part of the stimulus plan because it will create jobs.

Funny, but I remember hearing a year or so ago from my Red voting co-workers that the President has little or no effect on the stock market....hmmm, guess they were wrong about that....

I don't think the last President did, or the one before him. It may be that this one is perceived as aggressively soak-the-rich.

I don't think that the broadband initiative is the only thing the administration plans to do regarding education. It was part of the stimulus plan because it will create jobs.

Actually when I mentioned it I was just being facetious ;)

I truly hope he is able to do more, getting rid of NCLB would be a great start :thumbsup2

As opposed to the Republicans, who sent soldiers off to war without adequate materials, and then didn't provide funding for medical care for the injured when they came home....yeah, support the troops-until they start costing money. I had a neighbor back in NJ whose son came home seriously injured and I can't believe the crap they put him through to get payment for his medical needs. Turned a lot of folks in my formerly Red neighborhood Blue, I can tell you that. I know my friends and family in the military are thrilled about the raise,

Sadly this is nothing new. I have a 90 year old cousin who fought in WWII. The deal was that all the veteran were suppose to get all their medical care taken care of. Beginning after the war little by little that changed. Today it is means tested. And on top of that you have to fight for what you are entitled to. The big reason we have a "United States of America" is because of those willing to and have lay(ed) down their lives for our freedom. What has been done to them is outragous.

On top of that there is talk about cutting defense spending by 10%. In a war? You got to be kidding!!!

Apparently, your Democrat representatives don't share your enthusiasm when it comes to low-income children getting a good education. By the way, these kids score significantly higher in testing than do D.C. public school students.

- House Republicans Tuesday decried a provision in the 2009 government spending bill that they say will effectively kill a popular D.C. school voucher program.

Democrats have inserted language into the $410 billion package that would end funding for the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program after the 2009-2010 school year. The bill stipulates that subsequent spending on the program would require reauthorization of the program by Congress and “the adoption of language by the D.C. City Council approving such reauthorization.”

The program supplies vouchers to about 1,900 low-income District families to send their children to private schools, with thousands more children on a waiting list to get vouchers. Congress enacted the program in 2004 to give parents an alternative to sending their children to the struggling public school system but it is unpopular with the D.C. teachers union.

Republicans argue that Democrats will not reauthorize the program after next year if it becomes a requirement and that the D.C. City Council might oppose it as well.

“This is a backdoor attempt to kill it,” said a Republican leadership aide. “A large number of Democrats oppose it.”
House Minority Leader John Boehner condemned the language and said eliminating the voucher program “would represent an irresponsible and shameful act on the part of the Democratic leadership in Congress.”

House Democrats Monday denied making any attempt to sabotage the program and said Republicans are simply looking for something to complain about.

“There is no such thing as a permanent program,” said Brendan Daly, a top aide to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. “Every program needs to be authorized or re-authorized.”

Sadly the unions are getting their way on this.

I am shocked that after 10 pages, no one caught the most glaring error that Obama said all night (and I'm an Obama supporter)

He referred to the nation that invented the automobile....that would be Germany.

I noticed that.

Imagine the uproar and relentless ridicule, if that had been Bush.

A comment like that would've been small potatoes for 43. However, if you'd like to ridicule Presidenmt Obama for it and it makes you feel better, have at it...just make sure you make it funny...

NOT everybody is college material but EVERYBODY deserves a chance to go and try!!!!!

Sure they do as long as there isn't some sort of "affirmative action" policy that forces colleges to accept some people just to "level the playing field".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter