Pretty Sure They Created a New Festival Just For Us - 2 week Jan DR *COMPLETE

We went back and forth on where to go for lunch. I let Rob decide and he wanted to go to Kona Cafe. It's not my favorite lunch spot, but I certainly don't dislike it and it was just a quick monorail ride away.

Once we arrived at Poly we were immediately seated as Kona Cafe was pretty empty. Service was good here as well.

Rob went with two appetizers and got one his his favorites, Sticky Wings. Glazed Chicken Wings with tangy Mustard Drizzle and Toasted Sesame Seeds.

He really enjoyed the wings and said they were well done, which is how he likes them.

He also got the Steamed Pork Buns. Cider-braised pork, spicy Hoisin sauce, and Granny apple slaw with roasted brown rice vinaigrette.

He said the pork on these was excellent and he really liked his choices for lunch and was super full.

I went with the Polynesian Plate Lunch. Grilled Teriyaki Steak with Grilled Pineapple Salsa served with Sticky Rice and Pasta Salad.

This was good and for only $16 not a bad bargain. My steak was well done when I asked for medium, but that was the only issue and not a huge deal. I really liked the almond slivers in the pasta salad.

Between ordering fairly cheap and our TiW discount this lunch was a bargain. I love breakfast here, but I'm not in a rush to go back for lunch. It's good, but not a must-do for me.

My must-do was still to come and that is dessert in the form of Dole Whip!

I love the pineapple vanilla soft serve swirl, but I hate that you can't get it in the park anymore and have to go to Poly to the Pineapple Lanai. This was my first time here since that change took place a few years ago. Rob was full, but I had room for some ice cream.

The souvenir cups looked super cute, but I was able to stop myself from getting one and just stuck with a regular pineapple and vanilla swirl.

Heaven! :cloud9:

We took the bus from Poly to the Springs and decided to see a movie. We saw Rogue One for the second time. I fell asleep the first time we saw it because we went to a showtime that was way too early for me, but I liked it... I think. :laughing: This time I was wide awake. Until I wasn't. Fell asleep again. However, I did see a lot more of it this time and was really wide awake for the end. watching it at home has had better results. But I swear I like it. Really.

Now it was back to the room for a real nap before dinner.

After my second nap we got ready and headed to the Springs for dinner with no real plan in mind.

We ended up deciding on Homecomin' once again. This time there was a wait, but we only waited for about 15 minutes. We sat on a bench people watching until they buzzed us.

We both got a Bootlegger, which was a bit boozier than usual, but very delicious. We also both ordered Art's Fabulous Fried Chicken. Buttermilk-brined for 24 hours then perfectly fried and served with creamy mashed potatoes, cheddar drop biscuit and love.

There really was love in there this time for sure. Service was back to being great and our waitress was super sweet and was fascinated by the fact that we live in the North East so close to so many big cities we can frequent as she had never left Florida. We talked to her quite a bit and she was adorable.

The food was excellent! The last time I got the fried chicken I got it with the donuts and I like it better this way. I love the mashed potatoes and gravy and the hot sauce is heaven! I am not huge on hot sauce as a condiment, but I put more than what was on the plate on my chicken and Rob put tons of it on his cause he loves it.

After our meal I was stuffed but I knew I would want something later so we stopped at Sprinkles.

I got a red velvet cupcake, which is one of my two favorites here. I enjoyed it back at the room later that night.

We had a great low crowd morning in MK and a great dinner to end the day along with some Warner weather today. All and all another great Disney day. :goodvibes

I slept through Rogue One as well the first time I saw it but that was b/c of the two bottle of wine I had drank. When I saw it the second time, I'm like, I don't remember half of the movie!

Glad you had a good food day! Homecomin' is so yummy! I need to get to 1500 South soon again so I can enjoy that fried chicken!

What a great morning in MK. The early bird really does get the worm or at least the rides :-) You'll have to share your buzz secrets. I can never figure out how to beat my hubby.

Loving Rob's wings and buns lunch. Totally food up my alley. We had a similar bun at Morimotos I was a little disappointed with. His looks much better.

I'm totally craving some homecoming fried chicken now and its 6 months before I can get some. We have great Korean fried chicken places by our house, but nothing can quite replace good ole southern fried chicken

Homecoming's Fried Chicken looks amazing...may have to squeeze it in on our next visit!

Congrats on graduation! I've been catching up to everyone's DR slowly, one by one. I loved your meals at Homecoming (which is on my list for our next trip) and Yak and Yeti. It's always so fun to read your reports because of how many movies you guys seem to see on your trips. We never have time to watch movies during our trips no matter how long it is (and we've had some long ones like 14 days).

I live in Cherry Hill. It's a small world! We do feel fortunate that we have access to the cities when we are visiting. However, we do enjoy our suburb life.

I am little jealous that you guys could go during Jan. I've been twice during Jan and it's awesome crowd wise and weather could be hit or miss. At least for next four years, going to Disney during off-peak season is out of question due to DS (high school).

Love the reviews, I enjoyed your review of Fontera Cocacina. I don't see many reviews on here.

I am with you, I love the vanilla swirl Dole whip and wish it was available in the park still.

The low crowds look so nice, it has been really crowded the last few times we have been.

Your reviews have made Homecoming (or Homecomin'... whatever it is now!) a must-do for me for my next trip!

AND Sprinkles, too. I don't know how I missed that on my April trip!

Thanks Lori! :goodvibes That's what I said!!! :laughing: I am trying to wear Rob down to take a trip Memorial Day week, but he's not budging so far.

No you should come at the end of November - that's when we are going!! Congratulations on graduation! So exciting.

I have the same issues with the Jamberry - makes me so sad because they are adorable.

I didn't quote correctly this time, but oh well.

I have always wanted to stay at Port Orleans - it looks amazing.

And also - I love King of Queens. Fun times.

I really wish Homecomin took the DDP, the food you post from there looks so darn amazing!!!

I really wish Homecomin took the DDP, the food you post from there looks so darn amazing!!!

I just ate there Thursday and I'm pretty sure they accept DDP. I remember they asked me if I was on DDP and I told them no. I got the AP discount. I also just checked the Disney website and it says they accept DDP. So you are good to go!

I just ate there Thursday and I'm pretty sure they accept DDP. I remember they asked me if I was on DDP and I told them no. I got the AP discount. I also just checked the Disney website and it says they accept DDP. So you are good to go!

Thank you!

I slept through Rogue One as well the first time I saw it but that was b/c of the two bottle of wine I had drank. When I saw it the second time, I'm like, I don't remember half of the movie!

Glad you had a good food day! Homecomin' is so yummy! I need to get to 1500 South soon again so I can enjoy that fried chicken!

:laughing: 2 bottles of wine will do it! I said the same thing! I didn't realize how much I had missed the first time. And I still managed to miss some the second time too. I swear I liked the movie though lol.

What a great morning in MK. The early bird really does get the worm or at least the rides :-) You'll have to share your buzz secrets. I can never figure out how to beat my hubby.

Loving Rob's wings and buns lunch. Totally food up my alley. We had a similar bun at Morimotos I was a little disappointed with. His looks much better.

I'm totally craving some homecoming fried chicken now and its 6 months before I can get some. We have great Korean fried chicken places by our house, but nothing can quite replace good ole southern fried chicken

It's so true! You have to make rope drop at MK. We get so much done in a few hours. The back of the big robot's hand in the very beginning of Buzz is what to aim for. When they stop or slow the ride right there I clean up! I can beat my hubby on this one but never on TSMM. I just can't win that one!

I agree about the buns at Morimotos. They were so fatty. These were much better.

Their fried chicken is amazing! I love it. Everything there is beyond delicious.

Homecoming's Fried Chicken looks amazing...may have to squeeze it in on our next visit!

You definitely should! It is fabulous!

Congrats on graduation! I've been catching up to everyone's DR slowly, one by one. I loved your meals at Homecoming (which is on my list for our next trip) and Yak and Yeti. It's always so fun to read your reports because of how many movies you guys seem to see on your trips. We never have time to watch movies during our trips no matter how long it is (and we've had some long ones like 14 days).

I live in Cherry Hill. It's a small world! We do feel fortunate that we have access to the cities when we are visiting. However, we do enjoy our suburb life.

I am little jealous that you guys could go during Jan. I've been twice during Jan and it's awesome crowd wise and weather could be hit or miss. At least for next four years, going to Disney during off-peak season is out of question due to DS (high school).

Thank you! Both meals were phenomenal. We love Y&Y now. We definitely enjoy our movies. It's the highlight of our trips for sure. So relaxing.

Oh wow, so close! It is great to have such access to Philly, NYC, D.C. and Baltimore. I'm with you though. It's nice to visit, but home is better.

January was perfect! I think we maybe got a bit fortunate with the weather thankfully. I can see why that time of year is out of the question for you now. Well, hopefully it will be a great time to go again once he is in college!

We have reservations at Homecomin' June 2nd and seeing your photos makes me crave it more!!!!

Yes! Have so much fun! Hope you enjoy it.

Love the reviews, I enjoyed your review of Fontera Cocacina. I don't see many reviews on here.

I am with you, I love the vanilla swirl Dole whip and wish it was available in the park still.

The low crowds look so nice, it has been really crowded the last few times we have been.

Thank you! Yeah, not too many Frontera Cocina reviews. It was excellent though.

I don't know why they don't offer that in the parks anymore. Seems crazy to me.

The low crowds and great weather made for an awesome trip. The heat is getting to me more and more. I feel like April-October are almost out of the question now. I just can't handle it.

Your reviews have made Homecoming (or Homecomin'... whatever it is now!) a must-do for me for my next trip!

AND Sprinkles, too. I don't know how I missed that on my April trip!

:laughing: Yeah however they want to spell it. Definitely a must-do! And so is Sprinkles! I love it. Best cupcakes on property by far in my opinion.

No you should come at the end of November - that's when we are going!! Congratulations on graduation! So exciting.

I have the same issues with the Jamberry - makes me so sad because they are adorable.

I didn't quote correctly this time, but oh well.

I have always wanted to stay at Port Orleans - it looks amazing.

And also - I love King of Queens. Fun times.

I wish! I am dying to get back before January. I haven't given up hope yet. Thank you! Graduating has been a true highlight of my life. So exciting.

Bummer. They are cute, but yikes. Only for Disney trips.

We really really love POFQ and POR. It's such a beautiful resort and it's always pretty quiet. I absolutely love staying there as much as some of the deluxe resorts.

It's so funny! Doug and Carrie are just like Rob and I. It cracks us up. I just don't need my father living with us. Oh no lol!

Quick life update. I officially graduated! I went up to New Hampshire to walk in commencement last weekend, which was one of the best experiences of my life. I had the best time with my hubby, parents, aunt and one of my brothers. We celebrated my BA in style last weekend!

And of course I had to get some Disney in there. Decorated my cap!

And we got some amazing food.

Lobster roll at the Goldenrod. Heaven! So much better than anything you can get at Disney. And it was $12!

We had amazing drinks, nachos and cheese plate at British Beer Company. I highly recommend this chain to anyone in the Massachusetts or New Hampshire area. Great food, atmosphere and really excellent service.

And our big celebratory dinner was at Hanover Street Chophouse, which was an outstanding old school steak house in downtown Manchester.

Hangar steak, butter poached lobster, potatoes gratin and creamed spinach.

Celebratory strawberry shortcake.

Back to Disney World!

The next morning we were up and at Epcot by 10am.

We walked right on to Living with the Land and afterwards we stopped at Sunshine Seasons for breakfast.

I had my favorite, a cheese danish! Yum! Always the best.

Then we used our first FP for Soarin'. We got to ride in the new C gate. We got stuck in the third row all the way to the left. No smells went off and from that angle the picture looked so distorted. In the Paris scene the Eiffel Tower looked like it was almost bent in half. It was very disappointing. They really shouldn't have seating that is vastly inferior on that ride. The wait is too long for that. Bummer.

After the ride we went right back to WS and got there as they were starting the mural painting for the day. No line!

I got #12 Friendly Frog to paint with.

You could paint up to 5 squares in your color that you matched with the number.

So fun! I loved feeling like a part of the festival. This was such a cool idea.

And you get a postcard of the painting once you are done.

Now on to the food portion of the festival!

We stopped at Pop Eats first.

I got the Almond Frangipane Cake layered with Raspberry Jam and Chocolate.

This tasted as good as it looked! I looooooove almond cake and this was moist and delicious. I really enjoyed this.

I also got the Popping Bubbles Cocktail which was the Fairytale Cuvee and Cranberry Bubbles.

This was very cool and I liked the bubbles, but the wine was much too dry for my liking. I sweeter sparkling wine would have been more up my alley.

Next I stopped at the El Artista Hambriento or the Hungry Artist.

Here I got the Choriqueso Taco served with Chihuahua Cheese, Red and Green Peppers over a Corn Tortilla garnished with Poblano Peppers and Micro Cilantro.

This was phenomenal! It had a great touch of heat. The Mexico booth is always a hit, no matter which festival you are at.

I loved seeing the art as you walked around the park. Gorgeous!

Next we stopped at the Cuisine Classique in Germany.

Rob got the beer flight.

He said they were good, but they were all beers he has had before.

We both got the Braised Beef Short Rib with Parsnip Puree, Broccolini, Baby Tomatoes and Aged Balsamic.

We did not care for this at all. My beef was very fatty and even though I love the sweet/savory combo the parsnip puree was far too sweet for me. Not a winner for us, but I know a lot of other people seemed to like this one.

Then we stopped at the Artist's Table in the American section.

Rob got the Perla Santa Coffee-flavored Wine.

This was a super tiny portion. Rob gave me a sip and it was delicious. Similar to chocolate wine I have had before. Or more so it was like Kahlua. Very tasty, but pricey for what you got.

We both got the Pan-seared Scallop with Chorizo, Roasted Red Pepper Coulis, and a Parmesan Crisp.

This was amazing! Not only did it look stunning, but the flavor was out of this world. I loved the chorizo and red pepper flavor throughout the dish. A winner!

Then we made our way around to the Masterpiece Kitchen in Canada.

Rob got the champagne here. I just loved the bottles they had here. So pretty.

CM's working hard to make every dish gorgeous.

I didn't get one, but I loved the white Chocolate Paintings here.

We both got the Triple Chocolate Mousse with Chocolate Crunch, Dark Chocolate Sauce and Gold Leaf.

I am no one for all chocolate desserts, but this was excellent! I loved the contrast of the mousse with the chocolate crunch. One of the best desserts I have had.

Overall we had some great food at the festival! I am loving this addition to the Epcot festival lineup. I hope it is back next year!

Last edited:
On a non-food note for the festival we had a blast looking for paintings with Figment's Brush with the Masters. In each pavilion throughout WS there was a painting with Figment inserted into the painting. You had to match up each painting on the map. It was similar to the egg hunt at F&G and Remy's Hide and Squeek at F&W. Here are the paintings.

Here is the completed map.

And the magnet I chose.

Also, on our last stop at the gift shop in Canada I was able to score this pin that was supposed to be specifically for Canadian guests. My youngest brother is obsessed with Canada and so they let me have one for him, which he was THRILLED to get!

We left Epcot around 2pm and went back to the resort. Rob was still kinda hungry so we stopped at the food court. It was recently refurbished and it looks great! I do miss all of the large float pieces hanging from the ceiling, but overall it's very nice. There are even some fun Princess and the Frog touches, which is one of my favorites.

The actual food area is a bit more open now.

Some of the choices.

And best of all, Coke Freestyle machines!

We took our food back to our room to veg out. Rob ended up with the Smokehouse Cheeseburger with Cheddar Cheese and Barbecued Pork.

I had a few bites of this and it was to die for. I won't lie. I have thought about this burger a few times.

I got a side of their housemate chips.

I wasn't super hungry and just wanted a snack. These hit the spot! I had a Cherry Vanilla Coke from the Freestyle machine to go with it. So good!

After that it was time for a nice long nap before dinner!

For months before our trip I tried to get an ADR for 'Ohana with no luck. I tried almost every day. Then two days before this I was looking for a place to eat on this night and wouldn't you know, up pops an 'Ohana reservation just before Wishes. Yes! Same thing happened last time we ate here too. we got them the day of. I think I will try that route from now on when it comes to 'Ohana.

After a nice long nap at the resort we got changed and ready for dinner. We took the bus to MK and then the monorail to Poly.

We got there about 25 minutes early for our 7:50 ADR and checked in. I requested a table by the window if possible so that I could see Wishes. We walked around with our pager and took in the lobby. I miss the fountain, but I do love the new lobby.

And because I'm a child I always have to get this photo.

We were seated pretty quickly and were taken to a massive table for 6 right by the window. This picture is garbage because I couldn't get my camera to take a good photo, but you can kinda see a blue thing in the center, which is the castle.

We started with the Pineapple Coconut Bread.

I didn't love this the last time we were here, but this time I loved it! I could really taste the pineapple and the coconut throughout the bread and it was so fresh. We must have had an off batch last time.

Same thing could be said for the salad. I didn't care for this last time, but this time I tore it up! I think it was lacking any dressing last time, but this time I could taste it for sure. Loved it!

Next I let Rob have all the wings while I ate a ton of dumplings dipped in the duck sauce, noodles and veggies and asked for more. They were excellent!

Rob and I both ate quite a few shrimp. They were smokey and delicious.

The steak was good, but a little fatty with the first batch they brought us, but had no fat on the second round. The chicken was great and was even better dipped in the peanut sauce.

At this point Wishes started. It took a minute for the light to dim and the sound to kick in, but fortunately it did come on. Little did I know that would be my last viewing ever for Wishes. :sad:

Then it was time for the best dessert on the planet. Oh how I love 'Ohana bread pudding.

Happiness in a bowl!

What a meal! This was our best experience yet here at 'Ohana. I know this place gets mixed reviews, but I'm sold. I never feel rushed and the food is excellent. Even when something is off, like the bread and salad last time, there is always something else to make up for it. I plan on coming back again on our next trip. I love it! And I think the price is fairly reasonable for all the food you get. And seeing the fireworks here is a total bonus.

I was somehow not disgustingly full, which was good. I don't know how that's possible but I was glad.

Had to stop for a tiki selfie before we left.

We walked outside and caught a bus to Disney Springs just as it was pulling up. Score!

When we got to DS we had enough time to catch a late night movie. Why not!

We saw The Founder with Michael Keaton, which was pretty good.

By the time the movie let out the boat was no longer running, so we had to take a super full bus back to POFQ. Thank goodness it's not a long ride!

First time at Festival of the Arts, a long nap, a great 'Ohana meal, Wishes and a movie. A perfect Disney day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter