Price difference with Beer mug?

tigger2on

<font color=6699CC>I can't believe I read this WHO
OK avid cruisers... I am not a drinker (and especially NOT beer. Bad Canadian!) But the man is. Trying to see if it's worth buying the Mug for our 5 night cruise next week....
Advice?
Thanks in advance

In my experience, it's worth it. Especially if:
- you plan to cruise DCL again, you can bring the token back cruise after cruise, so the $15ish initial mug cost is spread out.
- if your hubby prefers draft over bottled/canned beer
- if your hubby usually drinks 2 beers at a time.... if he's just a1- 12oz here and there then 20-22 oz at a time is a lot
- if the 2 of you would hang out in adult and order drinks and he would order beer anyway. If you don't drink at all then he might not be in a situation where ordering any type of drink would fit into your schedule

also if you do decide to get it, I'd wait and just buy it onboard instead of through the gifts pre-purchases. That way you don't have to wait until your room is ready to use it. Also, he never has to carry the empty mug around, just exchange for a token when he's done with his drink

The benefit of the mug is a larger serving of draft beer (approximately 21 oz.) for the same price as a 16 oz. serving, about one-third more. This works if one is happy with the draft beer options. These vary among the different bars, lounges, and dining rooms where adult beverages might be purchased. If there’s a preference for bottled or canned beer instead, the mug provides no particular benefit. This might be the primary consideration for your man.

Once purchased, the empty mug can be exchanged for a “beer mug token” to avoid having to carry around the mug between uses on board. At the end of the cruise, simply keep the last mug as a souvenir of the cruise or do one last exchange to get a token for use on a future cruise. I have two mugs at home (one I purchased, one gifted to me by DD from one of her cruises) along with a beer mug token that I’ve exchanged many times during more recent cruises. I’ll have my token along on our b2b cruises on the Magic starting this Sunday. I’m fine with exploring the draft beer options, although these could be better, as I generally prefer draft over bottled beers and almost never drink canned beers except on picnics or at barbecues.

so if you do decide to get it, I'd wait and just buy it onboard instead of through the gifts pre-purchases. That way you don't have to wait until your room is ready to use it. Also, he never has to carry the empty mug around, just exchange for a token when he's done with his drink

Is the price the same onboard as it is pre-purchase?

The beautiful trip planner/life accountant in my avatar purchased one for me last year on our first cruise. Side note I'm an avid beer drinker. We did a 3 night. I enjoyed having, don't feel like I used it enough but that being said that's on me. We are headed to a 4 night cruise in the upcoming weeks and I brought my token home last trip so I can use it again this trip. Now that I am a little more familiar with the ship I will definitely use it more this trip. It's an investment in my opinion, especially if you're into beer and value.

My dh bought a mug on our first cruise and he likes it. He probably uses it once/day and when he's done for the night, he gets the token and carries it in his key card pouch so he always has it if he wants another one later. It's a very convenient system. We have taken our trusty mug on 8 cruises now, so I feel like we got our money's worth. But even if you don't cruise more than once, it's still a nice keepsake from the trip.

There is no need to preorder because the price should be the same on the ship and you can find them at any bar. It looks like that is the case for most of their beverage packages. On a side note, the only thing I see on the pre-order list that had a significant price difference is the rainforest room. the preorder price is $16 for a day pass but the price on the Wonder was $27!

Jennifer

I noticed on the Wonder when we cruised in November that they give you a blue plastic mug now when your around the pool areas so there must have been an accident at some point. It looks just like the glass one just plastic. I never got the mugs because I thought the buckets we're a better deal for me.

I think the equation was if you consumed 7 to 8 beers then it pays for itself, everything above that - bonus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter