Price increases at WDW

Jrb1979

DIS Veteran
Not sure how many have gone to the main board lately but WDW has announced some major price increases effective immediately.

First one being Genie+ price will vary by date. Depending on the day it will somewhere between $15 and $22. Today it was selling for $20

If you love Star Wars lightsabers at Savi's Workshop are now priced at $250, up from $220. And the cost to build a droid at Droid Depot is now $120, up from $99.

That and the Canadian dollar falling really compounds it.

2-3 years ago I would have expected a Canadian Resident discount right around now...that seems like a lifetime ago.

They are riding the wave of the "revenge" travelling right now. That wave will start fading in the next 1/2 year or so.

Than they will need to start offering discounts again to fill their rooms. I received a 20% off discount code for December, so it's starting already.

The exchange rate needs a much bigger solution! Lol

Disney is really going downhill fast, and the price gauging isn't making me love them more. Disneyland's Genie+ went to $25 daily starting yesterday (and it can go up from that some days - it says starting at $25). They are getting ridiculous. I have already booked a trip to DL in November - and I'm honestly not even really looking forward to it from what I've been reading about the crowds and constant maintenance/breakdown issues. I think this will be my last trip to Disney unless things change dramatically for the better (which I doubt). Might try the ones in other parts of the world. Will probably do a Universal Florida trip next time I'm wanting a theme park fix.

I received a 20% off discount code for December, so it's starting already.
That's interesting. The only 'offers' I've received over the past 2 years are all for DCL. I've never cruised with DCL and have no interest. And the offer really isn't an offer just restating whatever promotion is going on with DIS+. I'm still convinced that the DP will be reintroduced - in what form and price tier who knows - in the next 6 months and some terribly limited form of free dining will drop either April or July for a handful of rare golden weeks next Aug and Sept. I'd be shocked if free dining dropped early Jan but stranger things have happened. And I'll be checking anyway that first week of Jan and then in April when fd has historically dropped. A global recession is on the doorstep. Then WDW will test the waters with baby step offers and if no real response then meatier ones. Something's gotta give.

You know back in the day we used to convince ourselves that we actually got something of value by staying at a Disney hotel. Magical Express, extra magic hours, dining reservations at 6 months out, and early FastPass+ selections were enough to keep us happy paying higher prices. Now that's all gone and the prices just keep going up at a ridiculous rate.

In March we are going ostensibly to use up our one remaining set of original Canadian Discount tickets with our first post COVID trip. We'll see how it is now, I guess, but I doubt we'll be going back anytime soon after that.

Than they will need to start offering discounts again to fill their rooms. I received a 20% off discount code for December, so it's starting already.
This gives me hope that guest numbers will be down a bit from this year.
In March we are going ostensibly to use up our one remaining set of original Canadian Discount tickets with our first post COVID trip. We'll see how it is now, I guess, but I doubt we'll be going back anytime soon after that.
I have 2 left as well. We won't use them for this upcoming trip. But I am saving them for a Mom and daughter trip where we could kick back a little bit more and enjoy the one of the many food festivals they have.

We are in the midst of planning a trip with our adult ds's. We couldn't afford to do it when they were younger, and they have expressed interest in doing a trip with us. So we are letting them decide where they want to vacation with mom and dad. The youngest is heavily leaving to Florida. But due to the cost - I have told them both, we will only be doing 1-2 days at Disney. It just is not worth the cost for what you get. Our pockets felt like they were picked clean when we were there last February.

I can say...that our Disney days are numbered. We want to take our granddaughter when she is old enough, but it will be a once and done trip. They have priced themselves out for me. I won't stay on property, as it's stupid expensive for what you get. The perks of staying on-site is not of value for me. I would rather spend my money elsewhere. We will prioritize what rides we want to do and purchase Genie+ and ILL.

There are MANY other amazing places to experience in this huge world. I thought we would be a more Disney inclined family once we could afford to do it. But now that we can afford it, it has lost it's sparkle.

I really want to take my family, but I calculated 4 day tickets (for Easter) from Undercover Tourist, added in the Genie + and Lightening Lanes and it was around $3600 CAD (before the Genie + price increases). I haven't booked anything because it seems like a lot of money just for the park entry/rides without food, flights or hotel.

Just booked two 3 day 1 park per day with genie plus for April. ( other three tickets I used airmiles ) and with exchange it was over $1000 for two people at pre-increase prices .. it will be our last trip for awhile..
Even being DVC I told the kids until things change we will go maybe hit a party or an after hours event and then do discovery cove and other less pricey parks

Heading to see the Mouse at the end of November for a week. It will be our last trip. It has been paid for and dates have been moved all throughout covid. I just bought some US money today for the trip to have on hand for at the parks and $220 CDN was $155 US!

I plan on buying Disney gift cards for everything onsite as at least the exchanges is a bit better than converting through the banks.

Oh, and we all opted out of buying Genie+. I refuse to pay for that, standby lines here we come!

The whole Genie plus and park reservation thing was the last straw for us.

I can live with a little arrogance in their pricing. They have added a lot of attractions since we were last there. However there was no way we were going to drop $10k + on Disney and have to be up at midnight every night to try to buy Genie plus and than up at 7am every morning to try and get the lightning lanes you want. Insane for them to think people would pay their prices and have no guarantees they would get to do the attractions they want.

Sorry Disney, we are dropping our $10k over at Universal this December.

Last edited:
Just booked two 3 day 1 park per day with genie plus for April. ( other three tickets I used airmiles ) and with exchange it was over $1000 for two people at pre-increase prices .. it will be our last trip for awhile..
Even being DVC I told the kids until things change we will go maybe hit a party or an after hours event and then do discovery cove and other less pricey parks
How did you book tickets with Genie+? I thought we were no longer able to do that.

We have a cruise booked on the Dream out of Miami for spring break next year. We fly home from Orlando, but I'm not very excited about the extra couple of days we planned to spend at WDW now with the rising prices combined with the falling dollar. It would be amazing if they brought back the Canadian resident tickets, but it seems like they have no reason to right now so I'm not betting on it.

I love Disney. I probably always will. But I can't see when I'd ever be able to go back with my family.

I do have a 7 day hopper ticket to use by 2030 so I guess I will eventually do a solo trip...

How did you book tickets with Genie+? I thought we were no longer able to do that.

You can still do it for Disneyland.

My WDW AP expired back in September. We decided not to renew. With all these additional increases it’s getting crazy. I can’t complain though, I got in 10 trips over the last few years. Time for a WDW break. Although I would like to get in a trip to Disneyland. Haven’t been since 2016.

We have a cruise booked on the Dream out of Miami for spring break next year. We fly home from Orlando, but I'm not very excited about the extra couple of days we planned to spend at WDW now with the rising prices combined with the falling dollar. It would be amazing if they brought back the Canadian resident tickets, but it seems like they have no reason to right now so I'm not betting on it.

They are still available at undercover tourist

We bought and financed DVC when there was still Magical Express, and fast pass. I ended up giving away paints to a Florida FB friend when we were given the wrong date to bank them. We are still paying for another year and a half in one contract and three years on another. With the Canadian $$$ as it is, it was a bad move. Luckily I own at AKL where I can go and not miss the parks. I am going for the first time in well over 3 years in Feb with a daughter in university. We many do one or two parks but will mostly just relax and go to the boardwalk etc.

The whole Genie plus and park reservation thing was the last straw for us.

I can live with a little arrogance in their pricing. They have added a lot of attractions since we were last there. However there was no way we were going to drop $10k + on Disney and have to be up at midnight every night to try to buy Genie plus and than up at 7am every morning to try and get the lightning lanes you want. Insane for them to think people would pay their prices and have no guarantees they would get to do the attractions they want.

Sorry Disney, we are dropping our $10k over at Universal this December.
I agree that the Universal is looking more appealing for the same price, to stay in a Premier Hotel and not have to worry about getting on attractions or waiting in lines. Zero stress sounds nice. We love Disney, but as you mention the stress of buying Genie plus and Lightening Lanes and trying to book the rides at 7am to make sure everyone gets on their favourite ride seems overwhelming.

I agree that the Universal is looking more appealing for the same price, to stay in a Premier Hotel and not have to worry about getting on attractions or waiting in lines. Zero stress sounds nice. We love Disney, but as you mention the stress of buying Genie plus and Lightening Lanes and trying to book the rides at 7am to make sure everyone gets on their favourite ride seems overwhelming.
We are going back to Disney for the first time in 10 years and this will be our last most likely for a long, long time. I was big Disney parks fan but once we started going to Universal that changed. We did a few Disney trips when the kids were small but we have been going to Universal now for at least 10 years with the kids and they prefer it to Disney. They are in their late teens now and are excited about our Disney portion of our trip but more excited to go back to Universal.

I find Universal so much more relaxing in every way. No more colour coded spreadsheets with plans like I did for Disney. We have stayed off site and on and both have been good. You can walk from a neighbouring hotel (offsite or on) or get shuttles. The last few times we would just save up and stay at one of the premier hotels with the express pass included and then not worry about lines. These hotels can be very pricey but if you watch the rates you can snag some good prices...keep in mind your hotel and your EP are included in one price. So for 4 of us staying in one room, if I can pay 400 or less per night that's a good deal to me, and if club level even better. Just get up, go to the park and enjoy.
Universal often have deals on their tickets, depending when you go you can get 4 days for the price of 2 or sometimes you can find them on Groupon. To me they offer tickets at some many price points its attainable for most. The parks are busy but aren't usually as packed as Disney and I find that adds to the enjoyment.

Disney is truly pricing out so many people which wasn't Walt's vision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter