Priceline Beats Hotwire

TravelSheryl

DIS Veteran
For you Hotwire users who are "scared" to try Priceline, see this:

"A $432 Washington-Bozeman rate on Hotwire, a discount site that lists fares but doesn’t reveal the airline or schedule until you commit to buy, was less than compelling. And we were ready to give Priceline, the much maligned, name-your-own-price site, a try.

Priceline nixed O’Neal’s $221 bid on a Washington-Bozeman flight (which would have actually cost him $255.95, including taxes and Priceline’s $5.95 service charge). But it came back with an offer he couldn’t refuse. If he agreed to accept a free hour’s worth of Priceline’s long-distance phone service, the company would guarantee an all-inclusive fare of $322.45. So, he bit - winding up on United with one connection in both directions (albeit a two-hour layover in Denver on the return)."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/travel/leisure/2001/2001-06-08-orbitz.htm

It used to surprise me that Priceline could beat Hotwire by that much, especially when the routing was on an airline Hotwire uses, as it is here, but after seeing so many similar examples posted on the message board I administer to discuss Priceline bidding, it no longer does.

I've used hotwire to estimate what is available and then go lower with Priceline to see if I can get a better deal. Expedia is also now offering a bargain fare on their site sometimes when you search fares. Same deal set price and they pick the flights.

My friend just got a great deal on airfare through priceline. It was a last minute deal. I have tried several times for a trip in Nov with no luck. They havent been able to beat the airlines fare by 20% yet. The offer I got on Hotwire was $80 more than the best fare on the airline site. I think priceline and hotwire do offer better fares on the airlines regular rates, but if you can find a deal with the airline, it's often hard to beat - ie, Bham to Orlando regular fare runs over $300, and Hotwire offers $220. A discount fare through the airline is usually under $200 if you book 14 days in advance and accept a non-refundable ticket. Just food for thought to those of us who like to plan ahead. Were I a last minute traveler, no doubt I would go with priceline consistently.

Sheila

I just had a similar experience with Hotwire and Priceline.

A friend asked me to bid for a trip from Madison, WI to San Francisco, CA with less than 2 weeks before his departure date. The best fare I could find was $399 on ATA. American Airlines wanted $578. I ran his dates on Hotwire and got $227.

My friend was pretty happy with a 43% savings over the best available airfare, but I convinced him that I could do better with Priceline. And I did :). My initial bid of $125 (plus the $25 bonus money) was accepted and his total ticket, including taxes and fees was $154. He's flying on United who wanted $580 for the exact same itinerary. He saved 73% off United's price, 61% off of ATA's price and 32% off of Hotwire's price. He was a happy camper and I was thrilled with the hunt :sunny: .

One thing that Sheryl failed to mention ... the person in the article would have saved even more if they didn't "bite" at the price that Priceline offered. They would have been able to beat that price if they knew how to re-bid correctly on the same route.

Sheila, I very much agree with you that if you are able to get a ticket conventionally for under $200, Priceline is probably not your best option, but not everyone is so lucky. There are many U.S. domestic routes that are never below $300. Some that are never even below $500, like the route referenced in the USA Today story. Priceline is a godsend for those people, because all the advance planning in the world will not get you a better price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter