• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Princess and The Frog

micksn

DIS Veteran
Just watched the Disney Parks discussion about the retheming of Splash Mountain to Princess and The Frog. It sounds exciting and seems to me to be the right thing to do.
I'm sure it's going to take a while and I won't get into how expensive it will be in Lightening Lanes! However, encouraging to see how seriously they take it, how well researched it has been and the concept art looks fabulous!

I'm fine with it all around... and we love Splash Mountain. As long as they do a top notch job and use animatronics. I'm really fearing they will just add a bunch of video screens like they did for Navi or Nemo. That would be a real short cut and would ruin the ride for me. And I'm fine with the placement in Frontierland. It probably fits better there than Laugh Floor fits in Tomorrowland. As long as the ride is done right, I don't mind where it's placed.

Song of the South is set in Georgia, so not sure how that ever fit thematically in Frontierland as well.
Yeah, I almost added that, but then Country Bear Jamboree is vaguely southern so it's not like Frontierland is all "desert southwest". Davey Crockett was from Tennessee, after all.

I'm sure we'll survive the imperfect thematic fit, but it's clearly a more natural change in DL than WDW.

The primary change is going to be the music. I think that most of the current animatronics will stay, though perhaps be re-dressed a bit. They are spinning the ride narrative as primarily being about the animals from the movie story, which fits with trying to re-use a lot of those small animatronics. The riverboat will almost surely stay put as well, but now it will become a parade float with a 'gator band playing jazz tunes instead of a can-can line of chickens. (It may remain a boat, actually; boat parades are common during Carnival.) I expect that we'll see the human characters mostly as static mannequins or painted background images, with maybe one animatronic figure of Tiana.

I have a feeling that the vast majority of the inside of the ride will not change in appearance at all, except for the lighting and the addition of a whole lot of faux Spanish Moss and "water lilies". Heck, you can even remove the spikes from the briar patch bits and turn them into cypress knees. (FTR, S. Louisiana doesn't really have more moss than any other part of the Deep South, but it's an easy way to add shadowy atmosphere to a dark ride.)

What I would like would be the addition of a new restaurant to that back area (or even a food cart) with some Cajun specialties. Crawfish bread would be a WONDERFUL idea that people could eat in the queue (trust me, it sells like there is no tomorrow at Jazz Fest food stands. It's rather the size and shape of a hot dog, so it's good walking-around food.)

Last edited:
The primary change is going to be the music. I think that most of the current animatronics will stay, though perhaps be re-dressed a bit. They are spinning the ride narrative as primarily being about the animals from the movie story, which fits with trying to re-use a lot of those small animatronics. The riverboat will almost surely stay put as well, but now it will become a parade float with a 'gator band playing jazz tunes instead of a can-can line of chickens. (It may remain a boat, actually; boat parades are common during Carnival.) I expect that we'll see the human characters mostly as static mannequins or painted background images, with maybe one animatronic figure of Tiana.

I have a feeling that the vast majority of the inside of the ride will not change in appearance at all, except for the lighting and the addition of a whole lot of faux Spanish Moss and "water lilies". (FTR, S. Louisiana doesn't really have more moss than any other part of the Deep South, but it's an easy way to add shadowy atmosphere to a dark ride.)

What I would like would be the addition of a new restaurant to that back area (or even a food cart) with some Cajun specialties. Crawfish bread would be a WONDERFUL idea that people could eat in the queue (trust me, it sells like there is no tomorrow at Jazz Fest food stands. It's rather the size and shape of a hot dog, so it's good walking-around food.)

I totally agree on the food or restaurant idea! With FOOD being such an integral part of the Princess and the Frog (which happens to be my favorite Disney movie about my favorite place in the world). I'd be all about a stand selling crawfish bread (and beignets of course)!

Kill the waste of a space Diamond Horseshoe and put in Tiana's Place. Fit there? Probably not but does that matter at Disney anymore? Nope. They could put it anywhere and it be packed. If they used Diamond they could use the stage for animatronic band!

Here's where I'm sitting. My favorite ride overall, since my very first visit, was Great Movie Ride. And they changed it. My favorite ride at Epcot was Maelstrom. And they changed it. My favorite ride at Magic Kingdom was Splash Mountain. And they are changing it. I think I've decided to make my new favorite ride at Epcot Mission Space, in hopes that the tradition of changing them continues.

I guess it will end when people realize that something that doesn't seem offensive to them individually could actually be offensive to a large part of the population.
Like I said, are you ever going to satisfy EVERYONE ??? There is no way as some may be offended by the new theming etc. Going off "half cocked" and making changes thinking you are improving something, may actually introduce more offensiveness. Again, where does it end?

I think Princess and the Frog was one of the most beautifully animated movies from the newer era. I'm excited to see some of the animation and art incorporated into it. And I would LOVE a New Orleans themed restaurant! The food is so varied and unique and just excellent.

Like I said, are you ever going to satisfy EVERYONE ??? There is no way as some may be offended by the new theming etc. Going off "half cocked" and making changes thinking you are improving something, may actually introduce more offensiveness. Again, where does it end?

Try having some compassion for other people's experiences and stories. Although I'm just remembering now why I'd ignored your posts years ago, because of a similarly contemptuous response to people asking to very simply and reasonable not eat peanuts on a plane.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter