• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Princess Europe vs. DCL Europe?

fredandkell

I'd rather be cruising
I tried searching the forums for this, but cannot seem to find my specific question. Wondering if anyone has sailed Europe on both Princess and DCL. We are eyeing a 2025 Princess cruise that is a seven day cruise that has two ports in Norway (Oslo, Kristiansand) and two in Denmark (Copenhagen, Skagen). Our children will be 18 and 15 at the time. We have previously sailed Disney in the Mediterranean, and it was a great experience, but we didn’t necessarily do as much on the ship, because of the port intensive nature of the cruise. However, looking at the Scandinavian cruises, it doesn’t seem like they would be quite as intensive as the Med. Part of me wonders if the kids would be bored on Princess, since there doesn’t seem to be as much entertainment, but on the other hand, the Disney Europe itineraries are very limited, and we want to go in mid-May, when the Dream is still doing the transatlantic. Princess is also substantially cheaper.

So anyway, I would love to hear from anyone who has sailed both and/or anyone who has done a Scandinavian cruise.

I have done 2 DCL Mediterranean, including 1 Greek Isles, and a Transatlantic on Princess to Barcelona. I'm booked for a Med with Princess next June. I loved them both, but preferred the food on the Princess. If people aren't going to see Disney characters, then I recommend Princess now. I love everything about Disney, but found plenty to do on both ships. There was trivia and games, just not related to Disney.
Unless you are taking the Chandrila Star Line! I recommend that above all others right now!!
Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I have done 2 DCL Mediterranean, including 1 Greek Isles, and a Transatlantic on Princess to Barcelona. I'm booked for a Med with Princess next June. I loved them both, but preferred the food on the Princess. If people aren't going to see Disney characters, then I recommend Princess now. I love everything about Disney, but found plenty to do on both ships. There was trivia and games, just not related to Disney.
Unless you are taking the Chandrila Star Line! I recommend that above all others right now!!
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Thanks! This would be on the Sky Princess. Do you think there are things teens would like?

We have never sailed Princess, but we spent 20 nights on B2B Magic cruises in Europe a few years ago - Norway/Iceland/Scotland - and it was fantastic. That being said, we were traveling with DS who was 7 years old at the time and he made great use of the kids' clubs in the evenings. If you think you will be able to take advantage of what DCL uniquely has to offer, I think it's worth it. We will be on the Dream this summer, sailing out of Copenhagen and visiting Oslo and Skagen to name of few of the ports. DS is 15 now and he is really looking forward to going to the teen club on the Dream. Hopefully some more Princess cruisers will chime in on their experiences with that line. We've enjoyed sailing DCL in Northern Europe.

Thanks! This would be on the Sky Princess. Do you think there are things teens would like?
I think so. I was on the Enchanted. Teens that age would enjoy the pools and games, but all kids are different. There was also a golf course and arena area. We didn’t have many kids on it, but everyone seemed happy. The clubs looked nice.
I was never bored, even with 7 sea days. Hardly found time to read or write even! We did take some games and played a couple days. What do your kids enjoy doing?

We did the Magic in the Med last year and a British Isles cruise on Regal Princess (a sister ship) earlier this year. Princess definitely skews older, but quite honestly, there weren’t tons of kids on our Magic Greek Isles cruise either.

We very much enjoyed both cruises and would do either again!

I think so. I was on the Enchanted. Teens that age would enjoy the pools and games, but all kids are different. There was also a golf course and arena area. We didn’t have many kids on it, but everyone seemed happy. The clubs looked nice.
I was never bored, even with 7 sea days. Hardly found time to read or write even! We did take some games and played a couple days. What do your kids enjoy doing?
My kids like the sports deck, the shows at night, the movie theater, and my son likes waterslides. They do not like kids'/teens' clubs.

I've never sailed with Princess but have done both a 12-night Med and a 7-night Northern Europe itinerary with DCL. Our Northern stopped in Copenhagen, Oslo, Kristensand, and Stavenger. It didn't feel nearly as port-intensive as the Mediterranean, more like a Caribbean cruise in terms of frequency and duration of port stops. There's not a lot to do in Kristensand; our kids (9 and 12 at the time) stayed on the ship. Oslo is nice but we just walked around; the kids came with us in the morning but returned to the ship for the afternoon. The only truly long day we had was Stavenger, although there is tons to do in Copenhagen too.

So I can't say how your kids will do on Princess, but I think your guess that Scandinavia would be less intense than the Med is on point.

For what little it's worth, my kids are 14 and 17 now and I wouldn't think twice about taking them on Princess if the date/price/itinerary suited us, although we do still like DCL best (so far, anyway.)

I would say northern Europe doesnt feel so port "in TENSE ive" or let's be honest STRESS as the med. for two main reasons.

1. Ports are relatively close to everything. Not like some med cities you spend half the day getting from A to B. so you many fee like you are spending less time off shore. simply as you have a fast option to get back on the ship as you are close if you choose so.
2. Temps are much more cooler and you are simply not heat exhausted..

so by default you are more relaxed and feel you have more time, but can in essence spend long days on shore too. I have done sailings with only 1 or two sea days like Med sailings.. Some Northern ports ( especially Norway) do have shorter port times.

I think if the price, itinerary, port times, timing for Princess are a better fit,, why do DCL unless you are the type that can ONLY do DCL.

Check out this video from a family that travels! The kids are now teens; they were on the Sky in 2021.

Cruising the Mediterranean with Princess Cruises
(Channel: : Growing Up Without Borders)

Just returned from 14 night Norway cruise on Sky Princess last night. We’ve done 8 DCL including the Med in 2011 and hands down the Princess cruise was our favorite. There is(was) a live review over on the Cruise Critic Princess board, you may want to check that out. DCL became boring to us. While I love the ships themselves I got very tired of Disney inspired shows. Entertainment on the Sky was excellent, with me often having to choose between 3-4 offerings. Finally, they have Starlink so internet good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter