Print your own lanyard card? No more lanyards?

Yes, I wouldn't say only a few appreciate the lanyards, though.
I do remember a lot of people with them on DCL. Much less on RCCL and almost non existent on Celebrity. I wonder what the difference is, only thing might be with DCL handing them out got us into the habit of using them.

I do remember a lot of people with them on DCL. Much less on RCCL and almost non existent on Celebrity. I wonder what the difference is, only thing might be with DCL handing them out got us into the habit of using them.
I wore my DCL one on Carnival and Royal. I used it at Disneyland to hold my tickets and CC. A magic band would be nice. I can't see myself ever going through the effort of printing out a peal lanyard just to tell everyone I'm pearl status that's not why I like the lanyards.

I wore my DCL one on Carnival and Royal. I used it at Disneyland to hold my tickets and CC. A magic band would be nice. I can't see myself ever going through the effort of printing out a peal lanyard just to tell everyone I'm pearl status that's not why I like the lanyards.
We use them to carry our KWC and drivers license especially when going off ship we may slip a small amount of money between the two cards for shopping or tips. I don’t see us without one. I agree about not caring about status,

We use them to carry our KWC and drivers license especially when going off ship we may slip a small amount of money between the two cards for shopping or tips. I don’t see us without one. I agree about not caring about status,
We do the same. We have so many I started bringing extra for my kids to give to friends in the Vibe. People also like them as a souvenir.

Maybe they're finally catching up to some of the other cruise lines that use a wristband instead of a key card.

If I never get another piece of crap free lanyard again, it'll be too soon. I have way too many already and I'm a lowly Silver. It's wasteful and unnecessary.

View attachment 722728

A lanyard is not a premium item. It is cheap, worthless, junky landfill-fodder. (Same with paper itineraries, by the way, since I know that's where your mind is going.)

We don’t even bring them home lol

There are some advantages to using the cards instead of wristbands. They're easier to put away when you're off the ship. Cast members can see at a glance whether you have the "A" for ordering alcohol and for accessing adults-only areas, whether you have the right markings for the DCL bus back to the airport or to a Disney resort, and so on. Wrist bands also interfere with watches!

I'd be happy either way, though. I use the MagicBand at WDW and Aulani, so why not on the cruise, too? As long as I don't have to pay extra for it.

I feel like most people don't even wear the lanyards any more! I'll miss them if they actually are going away. I would prefer a Magic Band, though.
I used to always wear them but now that we need to have our phone on us at all times for the schedule I just carry a mini purse. Back in the day I’d just put my phone in the safe until we docked where we could use it or got off the ship.

I used to save them but got so many I now just the new ones in the trash after each cruise. I see this as a good thing: encourage less waste as people will keep an existing one or buy a good quality lanyard and reuse it each cruise.

I used to save them but got so many I now just the new ones in the trash after each cruise. I see this as a good thing: encourage less waste as people will keep an existing one or buy a good quality lanyard and reuse it each cruise.
So instead of a free lanyard, we're supposed to spend more money to buy a "good quality" one? The lanyards that they sell onboard aren't better quality than the free ones. Not everyone has old lanyards to use. I'm not a fan of Disney taking away more perks and causing us to spend more money.

Besides, you don't have to take the lanyards. You can give them back to the stateroom host or to guest services if you don't want them.

They will never get rid of some sort of lanyard, because wearing a lanyard encourages pin purchasing. I do see that they will be going to a generic lanyard, and perhaps the KTTW card will change color to reflect CC status.

So instead of a free lanyard, we're supposed to spend more money to buy a "good quality" one? The lanyards that they sell onboard aren't better quality than the free ones. Not everyone has old lanyards to use. I'm not a fan of Disney taking away more perks and causing us to spend more money.

Besides, you don't have to take the lanyards. You can give them back to the stateroom host or to guest services if you don't want them.
Well then it’s no different from first time cruisers who have to buy one or go without.

Pretty sure if you give a lanyard back to your host it will go in the trash. They can’t really be laundered so no sanitary way to reuse them for another guest.

If only they let me use a magic band/magic mobile to pay for items and open my room! Using Magic Mobile at the parks is SO nice. And just tapping for Apple Pay. It's not that different than adding your Boarding Pass to your Apple Wallet.

So disappointing… my kids just got to platinum on our last cruise, we were 2 ahead , and now it’s cheapened by print your own paper cards? 🙄 I remember our first Disney cruise and I thought “wow, if we are ever platinum, I will get the black lanyard and the black bag,” and now it’s not even hardly recognized. Can’t even board when we want. Not sure how many more Disney cruises we’ll do. Also, we have 5 kids so we have to have 2 rooms… 😞. We have been loyal Disney cruisers for 12 years.
I am with you. I have been cruising Disney for 25 years. We have a cruise in two weeks and it may be my last. I am sad my 7 y/o will never experience the cruises like my 15 y/o did. I don't see the Disney cruises being special enough anymore to warrant the extra money. I am going to look at other cruise lines for our next trip.

Palo getting rid of brunch was kind of the last straw for me. It is my favorite part of any cruise. And no paper navigators (I am not talking about the black and white staff copies) may not seem like a big deal to some but being able to explore that every evening was something I really enjoyed.

We have already stopped doing the parks with all required scheduling and now extra money for getting on rides or whatever. I HATE being on my phone on vacation and Disney forces you to do just that.

Overall it just makes me sad.

If only they let me use a magic band/magic mobile to pay for items and open my room! Using Magic Mobile at the parks is SO nice. And just tapping for Apple Pay. It's not that different than adding your Boarding Pass to your Apple Wallet.
Even if they have a Magic Band sort of option, they'd still need the card, since it's used for access to the port areas in other countries. I doubt that DCL will install the necessary equipment and train personnel in other locations to be able to use the bands in that manner.

Normally I would say who cares about a lanyard. We are finally donating all our silver and gold lanyards because we have no use for them. The platinum lanyard was a different story, at least when we last sailed DCL in 2016. It was a lightweight very comfortable material that was gentle on your neck. To this day we still use our DCL lanyards on RCCL and Celebrity. Also guilty of wearing my DCL hoodies yet on other lines too;)

So we wouldn’t change lines because of a lanyard, but would be bummed if the quality went down. We are one of the few that love the convenience of a lanyard.
FYI, if you take the behind the scenes ship tour on Celebrity, you get a lanyard and a luggage tag. Those lanyards are really nice - they are my favorites. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter