Probability that Disney will cancel sailings?

Marvelgeek82

Earning My Ears
We all know COVID is running rampant. I’ve seen that some cruise lines are cancelling their sailings. Just curious, do you think Disney will as well? Or just modify ports when those ports change their requirements?

Disney is ALL about the money. NO WAY are they canceling any cruises unless cruising is shut down. One of our upcoming ports is Grand Cayman and we all know that - based on GC requirements - we're not porting there. No word from Disney about a replacement. Bracing for another sea day.

I don’t think there’ll be mass cancellations but it’s entirely possible select sailings could be cancelled if there was a significant crew outbreak.

There’s still some uncertainty about sailings leaving from Canada (I’m booked on the first Hawai’i cruise) but fingers crossed.

As of now, NCL has (primarily) cancelled cruises out of Miami, and deferred return to service in other areas. RCCL cancelled some sailings out of Miami and Tampa. As of now, operations are not impacted in PC. Let's just say that the Miami cancellations are not the most surprising at this time. My guess is that there is somewhere between 0-100% chance that DCL will cancel cruises. Put another way, only DCL knows what they'll do next and any changes will likely be last minute. Both NCL and RCCL pretty much cancelled sailings within one day of sailing...

I concur that if DCL cancels it will be due to crew shortage to safely operate the ship. Closed ports are not detouring their sailing so far and the ships are still taking on passengers (they are not running empty). RCCL and NCL have multi-crew positive cases as well as passenger positive that are hampering their docking because of the reporting they must submit to the CDC and visiting ports (when requested). RCCL has two ships dedicated just for positive crew members.

The only way they cancel is if they don't have enough healthy staff members to sail. If the CDC or Disney hasn't shut down in the current state of COVID cases around the country and Florida specifically, they won't. All projections are this variant burns through the population for the next 2 weeks and then cases drop as the virus runs out of people to infect.

I concur that if DCL cancels it will be due to crew shortage to safely operate the ship. Closed ports are not detouring their sailing so far and the ships are still taking on passengers (they are not running empty). RCCL and NCL have multi-crew positive cases as well as passenger positive that are hampering their docking because of the reporting they must submit to the CDC and visiting ports (when requested). RCCL has two ships dedicated just for positive crew members.

I was on RC Allure last week and my daughter had COVID symptoms, so they had us come to the medical center. It was the morning of St Thomas, which had not yet been cancelled. When they told us she was positive I asked them to let our excursion know so they wouldn't wait for us. The physician told me at that point the port was cancelled because Royal decided not to go ashore due to the increase in positive cases on shore, not that the port turned them away. Take it for what you will.

Well my late January cruise group is dropping like flies due to positive tests so it may be less ‘cancellations’ than not having anyone left to sail 😂

our issue is that we’ve struggled so hard to get tested that by the time we finally get results (ordered tests 12/31- finally arrived 1/5 returned 1/5 supposed to be delivered at the lab 1/6 but now hopefully 1/8) so have till late tomorrow to fall
In the 12 day testing window- will probably be too late to qualify for the recovered letter if we did have C- even though we are now recovered( symptoms 12/26 😣) it’s insane

Disney is ALL about the money. NO WAY are they canceling any cruises unless cruising is shut down. One of our upcoming ports is Grand Cayman and we all know that - based on GC requirements - we're not porting there. No word from Disney about a replacement. Bracing for another sea day.
Stores and restaurants are closing and flights are canceling due to lack of staff. What makes you think a cruise can't cancel for the same reason?

Stores and restaurants are closing and flights are canceling due to lack of staff. What makes you think a cruise can't cancel for the same reason?
Nursing homes and College dorms, which historically on par with cruise ships when it comes to infectious disease are banning visitors and closing down for a few weeks. But who knows moving forward.

Nursing homes and College dorms, which historically on par with cruise ships when it comes to infectious disease are banning visitors and closing down for a few weeks. But who knows moving forward.

I work at a small college and most students are still home for January but the positive numbers we are seeing now are staggering. In the fall 1-2 cases a week and now currently with under 500 students back we have had 40 cases in the past 7 days. Really hoping this is on the downward trend in 2 weeks!

What frustrated me the first time around was how slow Disney was to announce cruise cancellations compared to other lines - we were cancelled at about 8 pm the night before our cruise! I hope this time they will give more notice.
This time since it will most likely be due to crew shortages I could see it being the day before the cruise.

This time since it will most likely be due to crew shortages I could see it being the day before the cruise.
That's my take too, and frankly not too dissimilar to what NCL and RCCL have done this time around... yes, the delayed restarts had more notice but they both cancelled cruises scheduled to ship in the following day or two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter