professional sports -- fans of visiting team -- rude?

Lorelei Lee

DIS Veteran
It happened at Citi Field at the beginning of the summer, and it happened again at the Atlantic League championship game this evening.

At Citi Field, the Mets were being pounded by the Braves. We happened to be sitting near a group of visiting citizens of Atlanta, who graced us with a very loud rendition of the Tomahawk Chop.

Tonight we saw a game between the Long Island Ducks and the Somerset Patriots. A group of Patriots fans came up from New Jersey for the game. They did cheers and chants and sang songs. They were very loud.

There were other Patriots fans who cheered and applauded when their team did well, but did not engage in the loud chanting.

A lot of Ducks fans felt that the group cheering and chanting as if they were in their own ballpark was over the top and rude. That the other visitors were behaving appropriately, but the very loud group was out of line.

Do you agree?

Nope. As long as they're not using profanity or getting into altercations or otherwise breaking normal facility rules, it's fair game! We've often watched our "home" team at an "away" ball park. What you saw is normal and common. Yes, it makes the home team fans mad (and I personally am not too outspoken with my cheering because I realize I'm sitting around a bunch of home team fans who have probably had too much to drink and might make a scene). No, it's not rude.

It happened at Citi Field at the beginning of the summer, and it happened again at the Atlantic League championship game this evening.

At Citi Field, the Mets were being pounded by the Braves. We happened to be sitting near a group of visiting citizens of Atlanta, who graced us with a very loud rendition of the Tomahawk Chop.

Tonight we saw a game between the Long Island Ducks and the Somerset Patriots. A group of Patriots fans came up from New Jersey for the game. They did cheers and chants and sang songs. They were very loud.

There were other Patriots fans who cheered and applauded when their team did well, but did not engage in the loud chanting.

A lot of Ducks fans felt that the group cheering and chanting as if they were in their own ballpark was over the top and rude. That the other visitors were behaving appropriately, but the very loud group was out of line.

Do you agree?

No, neither of those things seem out of line.

I think that's just sports. All about "talkin' smack" and team spirit. When you're a fan of a team with traditions, PC crap goes out the window.

As long as the language was clean and they weren't directing specific attacks at people than its all good for me. If anyone thinks that's rude I have a dozen or so anecdotes that would make you blush.

As long as no one was beaten into a coma or stabbed to death I don't think those fans are out of control.

I think team spirit is needed even more when not at your home park, just to let the team know that you are there for them, KWIM? That said I wouldn't try doing it at Dodger stadium.

I don't think they were out of line. Annoying to the home town crowd? yes. But, they were just rooting for their team. Nothing out of the ordinary.

But, seeing as you were at Citi Field I'm guessing that you are also a tortured Mets fan. So I will say, Lets Go Mets!

Loud <> rude. You are SUPPOSED to cheer and applaud for your team. Unless it's a tennis or golf match, make all the noise you want (I personally think "trash talking" is rude, but you don't say that's what they're doing).

How do you do a "loud" Tomahawk Chop? I thought that was an arm movement.

Nope not rude at all, this is what I expect at a sporting event. Absolute support of their team and nothing else. No fowl language, no destruction of property, no fighting, at least according to your post. To me this is just normal behavior at a sporting event.

AxlRose330 said:
I don't think they were out of line. Annoying to the home town crowd? yes. But, they were just rooting for their team. Nothing out of the ordinary.

But, seeing as you were at Citi Field I'm guessing that you are also a tortured Mets fan. So I will say, Lets Go Mets!

Tortured Mets fan, yes, I plead guilty.

sam_gordon said:
Loud <> rude. You are SUPPOSED to cheer and applaud for your team. Unless it's a tennis or golf match, make all the noise you want (I personally think "trash talking" is rude, but you don't say that's what they're doing).

How do you do a "loud" Tomahawk Chop? I thought that was an arm movement.

You hsven't heard the godawful noise they make when doing the chop?

No, there was no violence. Though it was very satisfying when the Ducks won, and we told the Jersey boys to go home . . .

Only time I saw an actual fight . . .Mets-Yankees game at Citi Field, two "ladies" had to be separated by security.

Home fans have to defend their own turf by drowning out the enemy.

If you team stinks enough that the fans just don't care, there's not much that can be done.

WHile I don't find it rude, I do find it somewhat embarrassing. We are big Patriots fans and went to see the Pats v. Jets in NJ last Thanksgiving. The Pats gave them a whooping:thumbsup2. At some point when we were so far ahead that it became obvious that they had no chance of winning we toned down our yelping and yelling. We actually felt bad for the fans in the stands and certainly didn't want to rub their faces in their impending loss:(

Well.... I was born into a University of Florida family....

I married into a die hard NY Giants and Yankees family with some Red Sox and Cowboys fans thrown in for measure.

I think I would be MORE offended if fans were quiet and polite! I would think something was wrong! Lol ;)

No OP, I don't think it's rude. I can see it being annoying, but it's all part of it.

Nope, nothing wrong with it. However, my Kansas City Chiefs wouldn't let any team's fans come into their "house" pull those types of shenanigans ;)

I think the "12th Man" of the Seattle Seahawks would agree with me.

It's all in good fun, OP. Part of the sports going experience.

We've been the visiting fans making a ton of noise before. You have to cheer for your team. If the home fans are just going to be quiet and not cheer then so be it.

A couple months ago my family. (Wife, son and myself ) went to the New England revolution vs. rochester rhinos us open cup soccer match in rochester. I counted 5 revolution fans and we were 3 of them. And you better believe the team knew we were there. Lol. It was a blast.

Yep we got looks from home fans but they weren't making much noise to drown us out. (Game was very tight and close).

It was a blast and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I've been going to professional MLB games for 40 years.

Nothing wrong with that! Every team deserves cheering fans regardless if they are the home team or visitors.

What I find the most embarrassing and distasteful is a HOME team fan being belligerent to a visiting team fan ( if unprovoked). I see that a lot more often.

Nope, nothing wrong with it. However, my Kansas City Chiefs wouldn't let any team's fans come into their "house" pull those types of shenanigans ;)

I think the "12th Man" of the Seattle Seahawks would agree with me.

It's all in good fun, OP. Part of the sports going experience.

So what would they do to stop them?

So what would they do to stop them?

Lash them 1000 times with a wet noodle :confused3

Arrowhead Stadium is 2nd behind Seattle as having the loudest stadiums in the NFL. There really is no opportunity for opposing teams to "out-cheer" these home teams. The crowd noise is deafning. Heck, at Chiefs games no one sits down the entire game.:cheer2:

If you have the chance to go to a game at either of these stadiums, go! They are a lot of fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter