Proof of Time Question

Wendysofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
I signed up for the Goofy Challenge and plan to run a sub-2 hour half and an approximately 4:10 full. My 4:09 marathon time is 6 weeks too old to use as proof of time, so I put "4:30" as expected finish time. What's the chances I will get in that very first non-proof of time corral? I've done a 4:15 Disney marathon in the past, and a 1:53 half, but my most recent rundisney (if they look at that) was a 2:35 half because I did it 12 weeks after giving birth. Will I end up with a frustrating running experience trying to reach my goals if I can't get a proof of time in?

I am having troubles finding a certified 10 mile or half near me in the time frame necessary for PoT that fits with my family's busy schedule. There is a 10 mile that I could do, but my husband and oldest child will be on a Boy Scout trip and I would have to do the run pushing my youngest in a stroller. Strollers are allowed on that run, but she's a 38 lb preschooler, and I'm currently at about a 10:15 or 10:20 pace with the stroller for 4 to 5 mile runs. It looks like I'd need closer to a 9 min/mi pace to get the corral I want. Do I just not bother with proof of time, or would I really have a not enjoyable marathon weekend experience without one?

I signed up for the Goofy Challenge and plan to run a sub-2 hour half and an approximately 4:10 full. My 4:09 marathon time is 6 weeks too old to use as proof of time, so I put "4:30" as expected finish time. What's the chances I will get in that very first non-proof of time corral? I've done a 4:15 Disney marathon in the past, and a 1:53 half, but my most recent rundisney (if they look at that) was a 2:35 half because I did it 12 weeks after giving birth. Will I end up with a frustrating running experience trying to reach my goals if I can't get a proof of time in?

I am having troubles finding a certified 10 mile or half near me in the time frame necessary for PoT that fits with my family's busy schedule. There is a 10 mile that I could do, but my husband and oldest child will be on a Boy Scout trip and I would have to do the run pushing my youngest in a stroller. Strollers are allowed on that run, but she's a 38 lb preschooler, and I'm currently at about a 10:15 or 10:20 pace with the stroller for 4 to 5 mile runs. It looks like I'd need closer to a 9 min/mi pace to get the corral I want. Do I just not bother with proof of time, or would I really have a not enjoyable marathon weekend experience without one?
I have selected the first non-POT option for every race I've done over the last 2 years (4 race weekends, 14 different races) and have been placed in the first non-POT corral for every single one. Which has usually been corral C. If you get to the front of that corral, I wouldn't think you would have much trouble for those two races. You will pass some walkers and slower people, but there shouldn't be as many.

I don't recall any issues with the half or full when I had done it last year and I was in the first non-POT corral, not near the front. You might have to bob and weave a bit at the beginning but it's manageable. It's really the 5k that has the most issues with getting clogged up IMO.

I was in the first non-POT corral this year. I'd say I probably managed to get towards the front 3rd or so of the corral? I didn't have too much of an issue with crowding, other than on the on ramps and at the contemporary underpass during the half. I was also running pretty slow though(finished in 2:30ish I think?). My husband started with me, and ran a sub 2hr half, and didn't encounter the same issue.

Sounds like it won't be as bad as I thought. While I'm bummed I'd probably miss out on finding the pace group I wanted, it sounds like it won't be as bad as a (not Disney) 10 mile my husband and I did years ago, when we were constantly swerving to the point where he joked that we probably covered an extra mile laterally.

What are all of your race times since January 2021?

FYI, the POT race does not have to be certified despite what the runDisney website states. In practice, the race simply needs to be official (as in not a training run) and have accessible online results. So hopefully that opens up the races between now and Sept 26th. As for getting into Corral B of the 2024 Goofy Challenge, if the cutoffs are similar to the 2023 races, then you need a 2:08 HM to get into B instead of being in C based on the first non-POT estimate.

screen-shot-2023-01-12-at-8-21-29-am-png.731439

POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

Corral C (the first non-POT corral) typically has about 30-40% of the field. So getting there early and being towards the front of the corral will make a significant difference between the experiences. Being at the front of C makes you almost like someone at the back of B. But being at the back of C makes you go from being in the top 20% of all runners to towards the 50th percentile mark in terms of runners on course. Or a difference of about 4500 runners in front of you.

Corral C (the first non-POT corral) typically has about 30-40% of the field. So getting there early and being towards the front of the corral will make a significant difference between the experiences. Being at the front of C makes you almost like someone at the back of B. But being at the back of C makes you go from being in the top 20% of all runners to towards the 50th percentile mark in terms of runners on course. Or a difference of about 4500 runners in front of you.

This year I started at the back of C, and would have run a bit slower than your pace. It was well after mile 4 before it cleared up enough to run at that pace, a few areas were you could weave around but many areas you would be just going along at the pace of the pack which in this case would be much slower than your pace. I would push for a POT race or plan on getting to corral early to avoid that frustration if the pace is desirable to you.

FYI, the POT race does not have to be certified despite what the runDisney website states. In practice, the race simply needs to be official (as in not a training run) and have accessible online results. So hopefully that opens up the races between now and Sept 26th.
@DopeyBadger said it PERFECTLY! I would encourage you to find a 10 miler/half near you for the PoT submission. I do think it makes a difference in the running experience at Disney.

Good luck @Wendysofftoneverland (and you aren't located near Michigan are you? The CRIM 10 miler is in August and that's a great race if you are close enough). ☺️

I don’t think you’re limited to 10 milers or half marathons for proof of time - I ran the half marathon and they did accept my 10k results for POT

@DopeyBadger said it PERFECTLY! I would encourage you to find a 10 miler/half near you for the PoT submission. I do think it makes a difference in the running experience at Disney.

Good luck @Wendysofftoneverland (and you aren't located near Michigan are you? The CRIM 10 miler is in August and that's a great race if you are close enough). ☺️
Where is the CRIM 10 Miler in Michigan?

Where is the CRIM 10 Miler in Michigan?

It is in Flint. My DH used to run (back when he was a runner, and could get into a seeded corral). It's the end of August, so it's always been hot. Back in the day, they used to get a pretty elite field. Don't know about these days (although a quick check of last year's 10 miler results shows the winner in 48:40, so no slouch. Think the top guys were Hanson's guys).

https://crim.org/races/hap-crim-festival-of-races/

It’s in the Flint area. In August.

I’m pretty sure last year they moved up the start time because of how hot it was.
It was warm last year (I ran it) but it wasn’t too bad. They did not start us any earlier than posted times. However, they have in years prior. It’s a great race (a bit hilly) but good fun.

It was warm last year (I ran it) but it wasn’t too bad. They did not start us any earlier than posted times. However, they have in years prior. It’s a great race (a bit hilly) but good fun.
Yeah maybe it was 2 years ago. I’ve thought about going over to run it, but like a lot of things, it’s the same weekend as a meet for our kids (our school hosts a huge xc invitational) and we get to work the meet all day instead.

Great suggestions about races, thanks. Good to know it doesn't have to be "certified." We are in the midwest, so close enough that we could do a summer race in Chicago or Michigan, but it is too long of a drive for a weekend trip. School will already be in session by late August, and we already have a trip planned for May 27. I did a 27:48 5k pushing the stroller last year, but I haven't done any officially timed runs longer than a 5K in the proof of time time frame.

I found a Sept 30 half, but apparently this year Sept 26 is the deadline :( I though I turned in a 1st weekend in October proof of time for the 2017 race. Does the cutoff date vary from year to year? Do they ever make exceptions?

I am aiming for a 1:53 half, my virtual PR from 2020.

I found a Sept 30 half, but apparently this year Sept 26 is the deadline :( I though I turned in a 1st weekend in October proof of time for the 2017 race. Does the cutoff date vary from year to year? Do they ever make exceptions?

I am aiming for a 1:53 half, my virtual PR from 2020.
It does vary although I’m not sure how they decide on the date. I don’t think they do exceptions though, even if it’s a few days after the deadline. I went to Runner Relations during Springtime Surprise and showed them a qualifying time for a Jan 7 race but as it turns out the cutoff was Jan 3 so i couldn’t use it. 🤷‍♂️

This might be a weird question but is getting a babysitter an option for the race you mentioned earlier?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter