Proof The Rumors Are True!!! TCD Relocation Plans!

Props to all that have posted on this, probably the most interesting read I've seen on this site (although I am a relative newbie here). Anyway, I may have missed it, but has there been any disscussion on the ingress/egress to this new build? Seems like a lot of cars and busses will be headed this way. More than the road from WL can handle? and parking? Just my thoughts. DD

Ok, I've been chomping at the bit all day to see what TCD was going to say about this pic that he uploaded to PhotoBucket...
NewFWProject14.jpg

Well, he ain't posting, so I wanted to mention what I noticed about it. See the cannon? See the label that calls it a cannon? See the elevation notation under it? Doesn't that imply that the cannon was in place when the elevations were taken? I think so! So I'll ask again, are the long-time Fort'ers sure they never saw a cannon at the Fort... like around '79-'82? Notice also, they had an ammo carrier labeled due south of the cannon. Pretty cool stuff. I can hear Musket Mickey now, "Hold your posts boys, the French have taken the dock... prepare the 8" gun! Fire!"

ShantaClausSm.png

I spent a lot of time as a kid at the Fort in the Mid 70's and I am pretty sure there was a cannon on the play ground. Remember when the play areas were a Fort Apache theme of sorts. Cannons kinda stick out to a 4 or 5 year old.

I did a little further analysis of the drawings this evening and using known objects for scale I determined that the suites are drawn at 33'x42' (roughly). I have no idea how that compares to other DVCs, but it sounds rather large... 1400 sq ft. Maybe they really are targeting longer-term vacationers.

ShantaClausSm.png

A two bedroom lockoff at Kidani Village is almost 1200 sq ft, according to a site I just visited. The rest of them seem to fall more in the 1000-1100 sq ft range, except for OKW, which is almost 1400 sq ft.

A two bedroom lockoff at Kidani Village is almost 1200 sq ft, according to a site I just visited. The rest of them seem to fall more in the 1000-1100 sq ft range, except for OKW, which is almost 1400 sq ft.

Ok, so that jibes. Thanks!

ShantaClausSm.png

Unbelievable! Great job to all!!

I honestly dont know if I should laugh or cry??

I think the Western idea would be really neat, but quite frankly I dont think it matches the other DVC concepts.....Bay Lake, Old key West....etc. Maybe I am being judgemental, but I think most DVCers want more of a luxury feel. Hope that isnt taken the wrong way......to some of us the Fort is luxurious!

And I certainly agree that we are underestimating the use of the land between the Fort and the WL. Is there a way to out the entrance over there?? I am not familiar enough with the grounds layout over there. :confused3

Unbelievable! Great job to all!!

I honestly dont know if I should laugh or cry??

I think the Western idea would be really neat, but quite frankly I dont think it matches the other DVC concepts.....Bay Lake, Old key West....etc. Maybe I am being judgemental, but I think most DVCers want more of a luxury feel. Hope that isnt taken the wrong way......to some of us the Fort is luxurious!

And I certainly agree that we are underestimating the use of the land between the Fort and the WL. Is there a way to out the entrance over there?? I am not familiar enough with the grounds layout over there. :confused3

I don't know about "luxury". Luxury to me is living a palace with maid, butler and personal chef (No, I don't have any of that, Ha!).

For the most part, DVC'rs want the same thing Travel trailer/motor coach folk do, but not to the same extent: We both want our home with us when we're away on vacation. Campers will get up in the a.m., brew a pot of coffee and sit under their awning listening to nature and admiring the beauty around them, saying hi to the neighbors, DVC'rs will brew the coffee, struggle with ridiculously small coffee mugs stocked in the unit and will sit on the porch for the whole two minutes it takes to polish off that thimble of coffee before having to return indoors for another cup. (I pack my own mugs now ;). We'll say hi in passing others in the halls or in the lobby.

I don't like the old west theme myself because Old West films always highlighted the dry dust bowl of a main street and ranches. Ick. The Fort area is rich in trees and wildlife. Whatever they build, IF they build it, has to take advantage of the area's natural beauty.

As for traffic, I doubt they'd have it go through the main part of the fort. They might hook a road up around the backside of the cabins and out to the exit. Oddly enough we still don't know if the idea is to build this onto the fort, or if they plan on this being a whole new resort. I had hoped it'd be built a bit closer to VWL and be an addition to there, just for simplicity in using points.

Looking through the picture the horseshoe shaped building kinda looks like a old round house steam locomotive shed.

Although I got excited by the idea that a cannon was on the PDF which to me shouted POTC. I just can't see the DVC not making the theme for a new DVC resort to similar to the Disney Resort it's attached to. E.g. Bay Lake Tower is attached to the Contemporary resort so BLT is real modern. Wilderness Lodge and the Villas at Wilderness Lodge is similar. So if the new DVC resort is considered attached to Ft. Wilderness, it will have a similar theme.

I suppose there is a slight possibility that the River Country DVC will not be attached to anything, but that would mean that new resort would need it's own restaurants. The DVC hasn't built any resorts like that for awhile.

It'll probably be years before we know anything about a DVC resort at River Country. At least the Fort folks know where their stables/barn and all are moving. And hopefully they'll be really nice facilities and will make up for losing the extra property.

Shan-man what software do you use to get the pdf to look so good?

I use Adobe Illustrator, which allows me to change the width of the lines which the whole drawing is made up of. The small text has too thick of a stroke on it so it just blobs-up. Make the line thinner, presto, readable!

How about this for a concept, a lodge from the Sierra Nevadas:
Village%20at%20Mammoth%20Exterior%20Summer%2001_j.jpg

ShantaClausSm.png

Back to the cannon for a moment. Here's a pic from page 102 of WDW The First Decade:

cannon.jpg

From the angle of the pic this wheel could be the ammo carrier serving the cannon noted on the drawings.

:confused3

Hi everyone, I have not yet read the whole thread, but most of it. It's really interesting to read what you all have come up with! :goodvibes

Two comments:

1) I remember from the leak of the Fantasyland expansion that on these plans (which looked similar to me in style), there was old data as well. If I remember correctly, someone mentioned that Disney is using old plans from when everything was first built still regularly for their permits.

2) Regarding theme: Disney already built a Western Town themed hotel: the Hotel Cheyenne in Disneyland Paris. Considering that Disney used similar themes for hotels in Paris and WDW (GF and Disneyland Hotel in Paris, YC and Newport Bay Club in Paris and WL and Sequoia Lodge in Paris) this might indeed be the one they go for. However, the Cheyenne is very much a value resort in Paris, but as far as I know a very popular one. This is a site which has some pictures: http://www.photosmagiques.com/gallery/hotels/hotel_cheyenne.php

ETA: However, I read once that the reason for Hotel Cheyenne and also the very large Frontierland in DLP is that Europeans love the idea of the American West. DLP therefore also has Buffallo Bill's Wild West Show - a dinner show in Disney Village (which is similar to DTD).

Back to the cannon for a moment. Here's a pic from page 102 of WDW The First Decade:

cannon.jpg

From the angle of the pic this wheel could be the ammo carrier serving the cannon noted on the drawings.

:confused3

Interesting... do you have the link to that thread?

I'll look through some of my old pics that I've found over the years. (I have this thing for pics of WDW in the construction stages and the early years)

Woah. Go to The Fort for a couple days, then come down with a cold, and you come back to.... awesomeness. :rotfl:

Well, potential awesomeness.

Interesting... do you have the link to that thread?

I'll look through some of my old pics that I've found over the years. (I have this thing for pics of WDW in the construction stages and the early years)

Not a thread, hard bound Disney Park edition, published 1982.
:)

Yes 1400sqft is just about right because you have to subtract hallways and utility areas and that takes it down to about 1100-1200 sqft.

By the way ,thanks for doing the measuring.

bookwormde

I just wanted to clarify that the 1400 sf ft measure is JUST the suite footprint. The halls, stair & elevator wells, etc are drawn separately. So, these will be larger than usual, lending credence to the notion that these are meant to appeal to extended length vacationers.

Ok so I will ask this guy at work who at eighteen worked on the sudstructer( sp ) of MK and Fort Wilderness !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter