• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Proper Position of Bathroom Light Switch?

Where is your bathroom light switch?

• Inside wall

Votes: 138 88.5%
  • Outside wall

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Both

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Other (I don't know, maybe you have an outhouse?)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
I've had this debate before with friends, and I can see why people like either option, but for me it's inside the bathroom, especially if it's an en-suite. In the night I like to be able to go inside the bathroom and close the door before turning on the light, so the light doesn't spill into the bedroom and possibly wake someone. But of course different circumstances, different opinions...
This exactly! Our house was completely renovated 4 years ago and the electrician put our en suite bathroom light switch on the outside of the bathroom. I had never seen such a thing and I HATE it. I don’t want to turn the light on when my husband is sleeping so I have to use a nightlight in there or deal with the dark. And yes, I’ve had the light turned off on me while in the shower by the pranksters in my house. :rolleyes:

Both? The main switch to our ensuite is on the outside, but the switch in the water closet is inside, if that makes sense...

Didnt read the whole post lol , light switches go inside the bathroom . Usally on the side opposite the door hinge, vanity lights by the sink. Heat lamp if installed next to the shower. Vent fans are usally vanity or door side. If its a small bath , or half bath is the only time ive seen them on the outside wall.

This exactly! Our house was completely renovated 4 years ago and the electrician put our en suite bathroom light switch on the outside of the bathroom. I had never seen such a thing and I HATE it. I don’t want to turn the light on when my husband is sleeping so I have to use a nightlight in there or deal with the dark. And yes, I’ve had the light turned off on me while in the shower by the pranksters in my house. :rolleyes:
I would have had him come back and put it where you wanted it. I would not have signed off on the punch list and made final payment until that was fixed. We had a few mistakes when we remodeled our bathrooms and kitchen 5 years ago, and my contractor didn't even blink when show those kind of things. Well, he didn't blink with me. He did fire one guy who put a vanity in incorrectly and damaged the counter top. But the contractor fixed it promptly .

Well, let’s see how many Canadians I can remember from these boards. @ronandannette
@BLAZEY @Frozen Canuck @CdnCarrie @rodeo65 @Teresa Pitman @NFLDERS @mombrontrent @lisaviolet (I think you’re Canadian) whats your norm? Switches inside or outside the bathroom?

Please, add anyone I have forgotten or am unaware of. I know there’s another one, but I’m pretty sure she got banned for life.

If we need answers, we go to the source.

As an aside, @mombrontrent i wish I could figure out your name. I always remember it as mom to Brent and of course can never find it LOL
Definitely inside the room. I've rarely seen it otherwise.

Light switch inside the room. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one outside anywhere.

On a related note, maybe I’m just weird, but if I need to use the toilet late at night or early in the morning, I often don’t bother turning on the light. I can manage just fine by feel. Sometimes I take showers in the dark too; I actually find it more relaxing.

Et tu, Brute?

:teeth:
::yes:: Yep, her too. You seem to be taking this is pretty hard @kimblebee - what happens when you're wrong about something that actually matters? :rotfl2:

I had a chance to talk to our electrical contractor today. He confirmed what I thought regarding building code requirements. Now mind you, this is specifically ABC (Alberta Building Code) but it is based on CSS (Canadian Safety Standards) so it should be uniform in all regions:
A standard plug or switch located closer than 1 meter in any direction to a bath tub or shower must be installed on a GFI circuit. Plugs and/or switches may not be located closer than 1/2 meter in any direction to a bath tub or shower under any circumstances.

So there you have it - basically a switch can't be within arms' length of anybody using the tub or shower, in order to protect from a shock hazard. That said, there's nothing precluding the switches from being located outside just as a matter of preference or design. I think it's awful but maybe somebody, somewhere actually wants it that way.

::yes:: Yep, her too. You seem to be taking this is pretty hard @kimblebee - what happens when you're wrong about something that actually matters? :rotfl2:

I had a chance to talk to our electrical contractor today. He confirmed what I thought regarding building code requirements. Now mind you, this is specifically ABC (Alberta Building Code) but it is based on CSS (Canadian Safety Standards) so it should be uniform in all regions:
A standard plug or switch located closer than 1 meter in any direction to a bath tub or shower must be installed on a GFI circuit. Plugs and/or switches may not be located closer than 1/2 meter in any direction to a bath tub or shower under any circumstances.

So there you have it - basically a switch can't be within arms' length of anybody using the tub or shower, in order to protect from a shock hazard. That said, there's nothing precluding the switches from being located outside just as a matter of preference or design. I think it's awful but maybe somebody, somewhere actually wants it that way.

I’m taking it all in stride. I’m being very tongue in cheek in my outrage. The code you posted is what ours is too. Im thinking I see all outside switches because I’m mostly in older homes. Maybe that’s the way it was a long time ago?

I’m taking it all in stride. I’m being very tongue in cheek in my outrage. The code you posted is what ours is too. Im thinking I see all outside switches because I’m mostly in older homes. Maybe that’s the way it was a long time ago?
Could be - I didn't research anything beyond current code. I thought maybe it was because bathrooms in the olden days were smaller or maybe just laid out differently? :confused3

As I mentioned before, the only time I'm anywhere where the switch is outside is on cruise ships. It all makes sense now because there is absolutely nothing in an average cabin bathroom that's more than an arms' length away from anything else. You can practically shower while sitting on the toilet. :rotfl:

Well, let’s see how many Canadians I can remember from these boards. @ronandannette
@BLAZEY @Frozen Canuck @CdnCarrie @rodeo65 @Teresa Pitman @NFLDERS @mombrontrent @lisaviolet (I think you’re Canadian) whats your norm? Switches inside or outside the bathroom?

Please, add anyone I have forgotten or am unaware of. I know there’s another one, but I’m pretty sure she got banned for life.

As an aside, @mombrontrent i wish I could figure out your name. I always remember it as mom to Brent and of course can never find it LOL
I just saw this thread now but all our bathroom switches are on the inside. Every house I’ve ever saw or lived in is like this. I’m in Ontario and live in a newer house, I can see maybe some older houses being on the outside but I don’t recall ever seeing it that way. I have dual switched for the staircases, hallways, laundry room etc though

Well even though you never remember I'm Canadian and always leave me out of your cliquey little club :snooty:. I'll help you out anyway lol.

My friend in the OP (the wife) as I said grew up in a house with the bathroom switches on the outside, and she was from a small town in northern Ontario. Her husband (the one with the bad experience) went to school in Ontario (Toronto) and so wherever he lived in college obviously also had the switches on the outside (it was not a dorm, not sure if a frat or a private house though). So, there's 2 for you lol.

I'm another Canadian who sees switches almost exclusively on the inside. I think my aunt's house (war cottage) had it on the outside, but I'm not positive about that. Winnipeg must be weird. :)

Last edited:
Well even though you never remember I'm Canadian and always leave me out of your cliquey little club :snooty:. I'll help you out anyway lol.

My friend in the OP (the wife) as I said grew up in a house with the bathroom switches on the outside, and she was from a small town in northern Ontario. Her husband (the one with the bad experience) went to school in Ontario (Toronto) and so wherever he lived in college obviously also had the switches on the outside (it was not a dorm, not sure if a frat or a private house though). So, there's 2 for you lol.

I'm another Canadian who sees switches almost exclusively on the inside. I think my aunt's house (war cottage) had it on the outside, but I'm not positive about that. Winnipeg must be weird. :)

Sorry you guys, I didn’t know. You’re now added to the list.

@star72232, Winnipeg is definitely weird lol

Light switch inside the room. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one outside anywhere.

On a related note, maybe I’m just weird, but if I need to use the toilet late at night or early in the morning, I often don’t bother turning on the light. I can manage just fine by feel. Sometimes I take showers in the dark too; I actually find it more relaxing.

Ditto. At night my eyes are adjusted to the dark so I can see what I'm doing just fine. I actually really hate turning on the light in the middle of the night because the sudden brightness is blinding.

If you want to provide the link, go for it. Otherwise, given that I currently live in a home with 220 and bathroom switches inside the bathroom, I am pretty confident that i KNOW it is legal and allowed in super safety conscious Germany.
I am also in Germany and I found this online. And it does make sense. there are many requirements to code and having a light switch outside is often required depending on the design / size of the bathroom. From the sound of what your bathroom looks like you have a luxury bath that is not the standard size I would assume. Heck the size of your shower is often the size of a bath in Germany. Based on what I have read on the below link you have the luxury to really be able to do what you want. To recap my link: Basically in Germany baths are divided into zones with different requirements when being built for electricity and plumbing. But just skimmed over some posts. Not sure how accurate. Often a standard bath in its design would still be required to have the switch on the outside. I am not an electrician but I assumed that a light switch has a different grounding then let’s say an outlet for your blow dryer in the bathroom. I was also told and it makes logical sense that I turn the light on before you go into the bathroom you will be able to see if there is water on the floor and avoid slipping. And back in the day it was urban legend that if you stepped into a puddle of water in the bathroom and then turn the light on you can shock yourself so maybe that has some historical reference to it. And that many baths are inside, no windows. So it makes sense.
https://www.haustechnikdialog.de/Forum/t/84483/Warum-fast-immer-Lichtschalter-fuer-Baeder-aussen-

I am also in Germany and I found this online. And it does make sense. there are many requirements to code and having a light switch outside is often required depending on the design / size of the bathroom. From the sound of what your bathroom looks like you have a luxury bath that is not the standard size I would assume. Heck the size of your shower is often the size of a bath in Germany. Based on what I have read on the below link you have the luxury to really be able to do what you want. To recap my link: Basically in Germany baths are divided into zones with different requirements when being built for electricity and plumbing. But just skimmed over some posts. Not sure how accurate. Often a standard bath in its design would still be required to have the switch on the outside. I am not an electrician but I assumed that a light switch has a different grounding then let’s say an outlet for your blow dryer in the bathroom. I was also told and it makes logical sense that I turn the light on before you go into the bathroom you will be able to see if there is water on the floor and avoid slipping. And back in the day it was urban legend that if you stepped into a puddle of water in the bathroom and then turn the light on you can shock yourself so maybe that has some historical reference to it. And that many baths are inside, no windows. So it makes sense.
https://www.haustechnikdialog.de/Forum/t/84483/Warum-fast-immer-Lichtschalter-fuer-Baeder-aussen-
My son's small bathroom also has the switch on the inside. This is a bathroom originally designed as just a guest bath with toilet and sink, but the builder squeezed in a small shower.

Our master bath? We have a huge shower, but no tub and utilized every millimeter of space effeciently. It's overall space is actually small compared to typical master baths in our part of Germany.

As I said to TV gI said to TV Guy originally, the information may simply be outdated---perhaps 50 years ago that was a safety issue, but with modern circuitrs, not anymore?

edited to add: I am in Hamburg this week, got back to the hotel and noticed the light switch is inside the bathroom :rotfl:I have a feeling I am going to notice every time for a while now

and editing to add (because the link was not there when I first began responding): the link is to a forum, much like this one, but for people to talk about building issues. Someone responding there about why they believe that light switches must be on the outside is not really reliable, no more so that the quora discussion TV Guy pulled up.

Last edited:
I just googled it for funzies (I really do not care about bathroom light switches that much). But the articles all mentioning bathroom light switches being outside the room in Europe were from around 2016 with one from 2017 so not sure how out dated that would be. I am curious why there are NO articles that pop up more current than that.

One blog about a British bathroom stated that in the UK there are no switches OR outlets in the bathrooms. I am not sure if that British bathroom in in the UK or is in Germany as the writer kept mentioning "before we moved to Germany" so it was a bit confusing.

So there ya go. Answer is as clear as mud. LOL

I agree with @NHdisneylover - it's going to be a while before I turn on a bathroom light anywhere without noting it's location. :goodvibes

I'm remembering our stay in a neat little boutique hotel in Paris that had a small water-closet and the tub and sink out in the main part of the room. The light switch to the water-closet was definitely inside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter